Helicopters Over the Resort

skypilot2922

How is this no fly zone enforced? CM's with shoulder fired anti aircraft missiles are not being deployed to shoot them down.

Pretty much every airplane has a transponder (yah there are some Piper J3's without one) think of it as a 'digital license plate' ATC tracks every airplane and has a record of its position, Violate the TFR when you get back to the airport there is someone from the FAA waiting for you to take your statement and suspend your pilots license unless you have a damn good explanation. It's a situation as a pilot you NEVER want to be in.

Ghostdog

I noticed them during our recent trip too. My daughter kept saying/asking how annoying they were and why were there so many!! My reply, “Darn it honey, the paparazzi found us” 🤣😂🤣😂

skypilot2922

There is a big difference between "restricted" air space and "Closed" air space.

A huge difference, closed airspace is on the sectional charts usually its part of a MOA or military operations area.

For instance those of who belong to aviation units of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, when acting under orders our planes are considered military aircraft and we can enter closed airspace like a military base to refuel or make repairs. When not under orders we cannot.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Pretty much every airplane has a transponder (yah there are some Piper J3's without one) think of it as a 'digital license plate' ATC tracks every airplane and has a record of its position, Violate the TFR when you get back to the airport there is someone from the FAA waiting for you to take your statement and suspend your pilots license unless you have a damn good explanation. It's a situation as a pilot you NEVER want to be in.
It's not quite as ubiquitous as you're implying:
a. if you're VFR squawking 1200, they don't know who you are, just that you're flying by, unless you've filed a flight plan they could correlate to your radar track
b. ADS-B provides identity info, but still isn't mandatory in Class E airspace under 10,000 feet (see this graphic)
c. if both of those are off or not working, then ATC just gets a skin paint, which is next to useless except to say there is something (maybe a plane, maybe a big bird) there

skypilot2922

It's not quite as ubiquitous as you're implying:
a. if you're VFR squawking 1200, they don't know who you are, just that you're flying by, unless you've filed a flight plan they could correlate to your radar track
b. ADS-B provides identity info, but still isn't mandatory in Class E airspace under 10,000 feet (see this graphic)
c. if both of those are off or not working, then ATC just gets a skin paint, which is next to useless except to say there is something (maybe a plane, maybe a big bird) there
If you are squaking 1200 they still know who you are - if you look at your registration you will note they have transponder code (base 12) that transponder code is unique to your aircraft, basically 1200 is ‘ignore me on the scope’ if you ask for MVFR ATC will ask you to set a code, that code is for the controller to ID you on their console. Ever wonder how fliteview and other apps know where planes are. thats how they use the serial number as a key to the tail number.

where I am there is virtually no class E airspace so ADS-B in/out a must. And personally i think the remote id for drones should have been a short range version of ads b so that when some idiot is flying a drone in the pattern at the local airport you have some chance of avoiding it. Because while your prop will probably make short work of the drone that now counts as a prop strike and you get to do a partial teardown of your engine.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you are squaking 1200 they still know who you are - if you look at your registration you will note they have transponder code (base 12) that transponder code is unique to your aircraft, basically 1200 is ‘ignore me on the scope’ if you ask for MVFR ATC will ask you to set a code, that code is for the controller to ID you on their console. Ever wonder how fliteview and other apps know where planes are. thats how they use the serial number as a key to the tail number.
Not everybody has or is required to carry a Mode S compliant transponder. Older transponders only transmit the code set in the head unit. The Mode A data stream doesn't even have room for an aircraft identifier.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Screenshot_20210806-144850.jpg
Screenshot_20210806-144859.jpg

They certainly seem to like the South side.

skypilot2922

Not everybody has or is required to carry a Mode S compliant transponder. Older transponders only transmit the code set in the head unit. The Mode A data stream doesn't even have room for an aircraft identifier.
At my local FBO only a couple of WWII era Piper cubs dont carry Mode S.

it depends where you are flying. If you are in montana or Wyoming no one is even gonna hear that mode S much less track it.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Not a lot really. If I recall the current no fly was a result of 9/11 and has been attempted to be removed several times since. Obviously it’s in Disney’s interests to hang on to what they have as long as they can.
Yes it is a 9/11 vestige that Disney asked for. The reason it’s so hard to remove is that it wasn’t enacted by the FAA, they just implemented it. That is very unusual. It was enacted by a literal act of Congress (HR 2, 2003; the annual appropriations bill contained language effectively making permanent the any temporary no-fly restrictions in place on 9/26/02, which included George W Bush‘s ranch and the two Disney zones).

there are several exemptions listed, but they basically all only apply to Disney.

Last edited:

skypilot2922

Yes it is a 9/11 vestige that Disney asked for. The reason it’s so hard to remove is that it wasn’t enacted by the FAA, they just implemented it. That is very unusual. It was enacted by a literal act of Congress (HR 2, 2003; the annual appropriations bill contained language effectively making permanent the any temporary no-fly restrictions in place on 9/26/02, which basically consisted of George W Bush‘s ranch and the two Disney zones).

there are several exemptions listed, but they basically all only apply to Disney.

There is another Bush related TFR up in kennebunkport,

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Yes it is a 9/11 vestige that Disney asked for. The reason it’s so hard to remove is that it wasn’t enacted by the FAA, they just implemented it. That is very unusual. It was enacted by a literal act of Congress (HR 2, 2003; the annual appropriations bill contained language effectively making permanent the any temporary no-fly restrictions in place on 9/26/02, which basically consisted of George W Bush‘s ranch and the two Disney zones).

Oh, and while the Secretary of Transportation can in theory remove the no-fly zone, the way this particular law was written, he has to prove that they are taking active security measures that keep the security of the zone at least on par with having a no-fly zone. Just saying we don’t need it anymore won’t cut it. Otherwise, Congress has to remove it.

skypilot2922

It would not surprise me to learn there were other lesser known sites that are impacted by the law; I’ve never seen a compilation as the law doesn’t actually name them, it just specifies how to define them (had a temporary restriction on 9/26/02)

The irony is the TFR over Bush is bigger than the one protecting the Kittery Shipyard where nuclear submarines are overhauled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom