Helicopters at WDW

MiRi

Original Poster
I was at WDW this week and saw about 4 or 5 helicopters fly around the property. I understand that WDW is a no-fly zone. Anyone know why they were flying up there? Thanks.

MagicalMonorail

I'm not sure, but I also always see helicopters when I'm at WDW. I've noticed that all of the ones I see are pink. I'm guessing this is a tour of some sort.

Michael72688

There are numerous helicopter tours around the area, I see them around Universal all the time. I dont believe these are impacted by the flight restrictions, just planes, and only untill a certain height.

Woody13

The no-fly zones--barring planes from flying below 3,000 feet within 3 miles of the center of the parks, will allow you to see and hear the aircraft. So, in fact, they are not really no-fly zones. Anyone can fly over Disney World! :wave:

Connor002

I've seen a lot of helocopters around Disney, though I've never seen a pink one :p(thankfully) I think they would be tour groups because they fly over the parks.

Connor002

They could just have well been security, I wouldn't know the difference.

Security does make sense though, that would explain why they wern't decorated for tours.

TheOneVader

I don't think Disney has airborne security... Besides, all Disney security is there for is for show. The people they hire are all like 70, and couldn't stop a criminal if they tried... No offense to the elderly... Just an observation...

::Runs away before he is chased by old people on their Hoverounds:: :lookaroun

wdwishes2005

TheOneVader said:
I don't think Disney has airborne security... Besides, all Disney security is there for is for show. The people they hire are all like 70, and couldn't stop a criminal if they tried... No offense to the elderly... Just an observation...

your right, i haven't seen any security yonger than 60. no offense to elderly people. i think it's cool that disney gives jobs to elderly and disabled people.

in regards to the no-fly zone i have seen a bunch of choppers, mostly around TL and i saw a plane over mk writing messages.

Woody13

Ok, here's the official alert from the FAA:

SECURITY ALERT!!!! MARCH 18, 2003 - UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED AT AND BELOW 3,000 FEET AGL, WITHIN A 3 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF THE DISNEY WORLD THEME PARK (282445N/0813420W OR THE ORLANDO /ORL/ VORTAC 243 DEGREE RADIAL AT 15 NAUTICAL MILES). THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT APPLY TO: (A) THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY PURPOSES, INCLUDING AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM AN AIRPORT USING STANDARD AIR TRAFFIC PROCEDURES; (B) DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, OR AEROMEDICAL FLIGHT OPERATIONS THAT ARE IN CONTACT WITH ATC.

FOR A COPY OF THE NOTAM PLEASE CLICK HERE.

In other words, as long as the aircraft is under ATC (Air Traffic Control) it can fly lower than 3,000 feet over WDW. That includes most aircraft in the sky!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It was probably hellicopter gunships deployed to keep those pesky UFOs away from Epcot and causing further damage to space ship earth.

Dr Albert Falls

I've posted about this topic before. Just about every one of the above posters has it WRONG.

The flight restriction applies to ALL aircraft (including helicopters) that fly at 3000 feet or BELOW.

The 3-mile "flight restriction" is actually centered at the Magic Kingdom. That means a LARGE portion of the WDW property is actually NOT covered by the restriction.

A helicopter can legally hover right above Disney-MGM Studios or most of Animal Kingdom, because those parks are more than 3 miles away from the center of the Magic Kingdom.

Don't believe me? Search the FAA's website for a map of the flight restrictions (or search this forum, where I've posted the link in the past--- I don't have time to look again)

When you see how little of WDW is actually "protected", you realize the flight restriction really has nothing to do with SECURITY. It's obviously Disney's (successful) attempt to keep banner planes and tourist helicopters away from its most popular park. Which is great for the tourist-- but appears to be unfair when other parks (and even homeowers like you and me!) don't have the same lobbying power with the federal government.

bhg469

TheOneVader said:

But thats not all the security disney has, there plain-clothed security at every park.

Disney world is not a no fly zone! I know this because I did a helicopter tour with one of my teachers over senior trip. The parks are all alloud to be flied over except Magic Kingdom. THat is the only no fly zone.

By the way, I highly sugest a helicopter tour to everyone. It was awsome to see the backstage areas and stuf you dont usually see!

prberk

My father was a security guard at the mall here (Chesterfield Towne Ctr.) until he retired a year ago today, at age 70. He walked sometimes a little slower toward the end, but was well respected.

No, he couldn't get into a brawl with a teenager, but he commanded respect. When the situation was bigger than he could handle, he also had the wisdom (that comes with age) to know when and whom to call for help, including the regular county police.

I think most times (though certainly not all the time) the elderly gentlemen doing security know more than we think (especially about human nature and crooks), but they also know when it actually matters to pursue something.

Sometimes, it's just a matter of wisdom and knowing when to get involved.

Paul

CoffeeJedi

TheOneVader said:
oh, that's just the THEMED security, to remind everyone of their gindly old grandparents
if you do something truly "naughty" the elite special Mousecorps swarms out of the utilidors, you do NOT want to mess with those guys. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom