Helicopters at WDW

Woody13

Disney's No-Fly Zone Is Upheld
ORLANDO, Fla., June 6, 2003

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans]A federal judge Thursday refused to lift the no-fly zone over Walt Disney World so that an anti-homosexuality group could fly banners over the amusement park during the annual Gay Days celebration.

The Family Policy Network had wanted to fly banners reading "JESUS CHRIST: HOPE FOR HOMOSEXUALS.COM" during the 13th annual celebration, which began Thursday. The four-day event, which is not sponsored by Disney, is expected to draw more than 100,000 gays.

The Virginia-based network sued the Federal Aviation Administration and other federal agencies, saying the anti-terrorism flight restrictions - approved by Congress in February - violated its free-speech rights.

Planes must remain at least 3,000 feet above the park or stay at least 3.3 miles away. The rules also cover Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

During the hour-long hearing, Justice Department attorney Brian Kennedy argued that the First Amendment had little to do with it.

"The problem is not that it's an attractive target for speech," Kennedy said. "The problem is, it's an attractive target."

U.S. District Judge Anne Conway said that she did not believe she had jurisdiction over FAA policies, and that the network did not meet the burden of proof.

Disney has said it wants the no-fly zone maintained, but Gay Days organizers sided with the Family Policy Network.

"I don't believe the no-fly zone should be there," Chris Alexander-Manley, Gay Days director of marketing, told the Orlando Sentinel. "There was one group that was planning to fly a banner welcoming everybody."

[/font]

peter11435

CoffeeJedi said:
oh, that's just the THEMED security, to remind everyone of their gindly old grandparents
if you do something truly "naughty" the elite special Mousecorps swarms out of the utilidors, you do NOT want to mess with those guys. :lol:
This is true. I once watched two plain clothes Disney Security CM's go after a guy at Epcot. They were young and scary.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Pumbas Nakasak said:
It was probably hellicopter gunships deployed to keep those pesky UFOs away from Epcot and causing further damage to space ship earth.

Actually I think they were searching for that rougue shark that has been attacking people along the Florida coast... :lookaroun

wdwishes2005

yeah disneys real security operates sorta like the mafia......

i hear if you try and overnite at one of the parks they turn you into an its a small world AAs:lookaroun

Helicopters and Security

magic kingdom is not walt disney world. you've heard that one before, right?

there are two main helicopter tours that regularly fly over walt disney world: one from 192 east of old town, and one from from i-drive which can be seen from i-4. the last one is a red helicopter that you'll probably see several times a day if you are in a non-mk park. it buzzes either closer or louder than any others and draws the most attention.

i'm sure there are other tour operators, but those are easily the most consistent.

as for disney security, disney's main concern is the show. the folks you see in the bright blue uniforms are to provide a sense of security and promote an officer friendly / neighborly image... although not all are so friendly or aware of their role.

if you are to encounter the real disney security, you are probably in a great deal of trouble. they are not going to be the ones telling you to get off of the grass, they are going to be the ones ushering you out of guest view and into a very intimidating setting. a manager of mine once had the opportunity to visit the survelence area and his only report was that he never wanted to see that place again. it's not cartoon scary, it's you've-just-stepped-foot-off-the-planet-and-may-never-be-seen-again (but well within the law, of course) scary.

by the way, if you are ever bored and want to play a late night game, have a loud conversation in one of the downtown disney parking lots after 2am. the conversation that gathers the most vans, golf carts, and bicycles wins! you won't have to worry about any of them getting out of or off of their vehicles, but drawing a orange county sheriff is like sinking the eight-ball.

good luck!

-billy

pwgs

Pumbas Nakasak said:
It was probably hellicopter gunships deployed to keep those pesky UFOs away from Epcot and causing further damage to space ship earth.

LOL-Pink ones... :lol::D

Woody13

Dr Albert Falls said:
I've posted about this topic before. Just about every one of the above posters has it WRONG.

The flight restriction applies to ALL aircraft (including helicopters) that fly at 3000 feet or BELOW.

The 3-mile "flight restriction" is actually centered at the Magic Kingdom. That means a LARGE portion of the WDW property is actually NOT covered by the restriction.

A helicopter can legally hover right above Disney-MGM Studios or most of Animal Kingdom, because those parks are more than 3 miles away from the center of the Magic Kingdom.

Don't believe me? Search the FAA's website for a map of the flight restrictions (or search this forum, where I've posted the link in the past--- I don't have time to look again)

When you see how little of WDW is actually "protected", you realize the flight restriction really has nothing to do with SECURITY. It's obviously Disney's (successful) attempt to keep banner planes and tourist helicopters away from its most popular park. Which is great for the tourist-- but appears to be unfair when other parks (and even homeowers like you and me!) don't have the same lobbying power with the federal government.
Actually, you've got it wrong. The map of flight restrictions shows that the area covered is not "centered at the Magic Kingdom". It covers virtually all of Walt Disney World including AK, Epcot, MGM and MK. Here's the FAA link you spoke of that shows the map: http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/disney.htm

no-fly?

"THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT APPLY TO: (A) THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY PURPOSES, INCLUDING AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM AN AIRPORT USING STANDARD AIR TRAFFIC PROCEDURES; (B) DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, OR AEROMEDICAL FLIGHT OPERATIONS THAT ARE IN CONTACT WITH ATC."

it's more of a no-joy-ride zone rather than no-fly zone.

if i've got it right, as long as you've been okayed to fly or following take off and landing routes you are able to fly through disney airspace. i don't know how difficult it is to get permission, but it certainly does not sound like a no-fly zone as it is generally accepted. aircraft are permitted, it's just that joe schmoe can't take off in his cessna and buzz the kingdom at his discretion.

-billy

Neptune

I've seen many Red Helicopters Flying around. I saw one Flying Fairly close to ToT, and RnR. They are From the Orlando Helicopter Tours.

DisneyRoxMySox

I might be wrong here, but shortly after 9/11, there were government air vehicles flying around WDW property.

I also beleive when there is a heightened (sp) alert, there is also heightened security at WDW, it is on the list of potential targets of terrorism.

I can't say much for the pink ones, but I wouldn't be suprised if you would see more air traffic over WDW this weekend.

Neptune

I might be wrong here, but shortly after 9/11, there were government air vehicles flying around WDW property.

Well, yeah, of course.

It was the most deadly attack on american soil. Don't you think they would have military Jets flying over a popular Vacation spot?

DisneyRoxMySox

MissionSpaceFan said:
Well, yeah, of course.

It was the most deadly attack on american soil. Don't you think they would have military Jets flying over a popular Vacation spot?

It was leading in to the point of my post, there might be government secuirty over WDW now do to the 4th of July weekend, explaining the presence of the helicopters.

diddy_mouse

i always thought the helicopters flying around were used when they were filming overhead footage for the planning videos and such...

...or is that me just being naive? :lookaroun

bgraham34

If I am not mistaken there are FBI on or very near to Disney property in case of emergency's. I have heard that there are as many as 6 on Prpoperty during Normal operating hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom