Helicoopters

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Today at Blizzard Beach there was a helicopter flying over all day, and yesterday at EPCOT there were two flying over constantly, too. Anyone know what it's for? I'd imagine it could be for commuters.

Ziffman

Today at Blizzard Beach there was a helicopter flying over all day, and yesterday at EPCOT there were two flying over constantly, too. Anyone know what it's for? I'd imagine it could be for commuters.

Based on the spelling in your thread title, it sounds as though they were flying the "coop"! :lol:

Timekeeper

Sometimes local helicopter tours - although discouraged from doing so - will fly by WDW.

Also, whenever there's a lawsuit, accusation, incident, death, injury, overcrowding, etc. involving WDW (such as the Donald Duck molestation suit), local news media choppers will fly over to get b-roll footage of the parks.

Ziffman

Sometimes local helicopter tours - although discouraged from doing so - will fly by WDW.

Also, whenever there's a lawsuit, accusation, incident, death, injury, overcrowding, etc. involving WDW (such as the Donald Duck molestation suit), local news media choppers will fly over to get b-roll footage of the parks.

So basically whenever you see helicopters (or heli-COOP-ters as the OP put it) over Disney property, it means something negative happened in relation to Disney. Hey, that's something fun to think about on my vacation!

Kamikaze

So basically whenever you see helicopters (or heli-COOP-ters as the OP put it) over Disney property, it means something negative happened in relation to Disney. Hey, that's something fun to think about on my vacation!

No, thats not true. There are tour companies, as he said. As long as they adhere to the flight restrictions, they can fly over. I would love to tour the property from the air like that.

Timekeeper

So basically whenever you see helicopters over Disney property, it means something negative happened in relation to Disney. Hey, that's something fun to think about on my vacation!

Well, I think the same can be said for just about any news media. If there are cameras or reporters present, the majority of the time it will be because of a "negative" reason. After all, when you turn on the news, what percentage of it would you say is "bad" news as opposed to "good" news?

There are also political motivations. Orlando's local Universal Studios affiliated NBC station may be more interested in "Disney characters gone wild" than Disney affiliated ABC station.

Also, flying a chopper across town is expensive, and a news station is not likely to send a chopper over to WDW to get an overhead shot of EPCOT because a guest received exceptional service at the Italy pavilion (such as receiving the customized pizza toppings that they requested). But if a parade float runs over someone, or a gang fight breaks out, that is - unfortunately - more newsworthy. :cry:

blm07

I hate the media. Let's hover over a park or stand outside of the gates for some "live footage" of something that happened a few days ago.

"This is Dirk Blanderson standing outside of one of the main entrances to Disney property at 10 PM, where earlier this day, in Epcot, miles and miles away from where I'm standing, Donald slapped some lady who was obviously drunk and picking on the characters. No real news at this time, but I'd figured I'd drive 20 miles to get a picture of me standing in front of this purple sign with Minnie on it, having nothing to do with the story. Back to the studio, and away from me, who just wasted two hours of my life to bring you this breaking footage."

Notice when they have something good to say, they stay in the studio.

Bravo 229

Saw them on Lake Buena Vista GC today too...they looked like they were making passes over the area. Isn't there a No-Fly Zone over Disney property? If so, then they were probably used by someone connected to Disney.

Ziffman

But if a parade float runs over someone, or a gang fight breaks out, that is - unfortunately - more newsworthy. :cry:

Right, so just like I said,... If you see one of these choppers flying over it probably means something negative happened in relation to Disney. Not a pleasant thing to be reminded up while on vacation unfortunately.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No, thats not true. There are tour companies, as he said. As long as they adhere to the flight restrictions, they can fly over. I would love to tour the property from the air like that.

Not only are there numerous tour companies, but WDW also conducts aerial surveys of the property, as may other companies or real estate developers. As long as they stay 3000 feet and above, it's allowed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom