Height balloons, this time between TTC and Contemporary

donsullivan

Premium Member
This is an official Disney image that shows the early planned locations for other resorts near the Magic Kingdom. One was on the plot between TTC and Contemporary, and the other north of the Contemporary. If you look carefully, this concept art does not show the one along the lagoon connected to the monorail beam. The 3 hotels announced in 1969 that were never built were the Asian, Persian and Venetian; all of which can be seen in this artwork. The Asian is shown where the Grand Floridian is now, the Venetian was conceived for the plot along the lagoon north of TTC and the Persian, north of the Contemporary on Bay Lake. Many years later another concept for a hotel called the Kingdom Suites was floating around for that Bay Lake the plot where the MK bus loops are now, but it was also never built.

Last edited:

Robbiem

I stand corrected. I forgot about the plan to put it on the plot that is currently carved up by the bus loops for the Magic Kingdom. Corrected above now.

Actually im surprised they haven’t looked at this again putting a resort above the bus stations.

On an unrelated note what happened to the site of the persian resort

donsullivan

Premium Member
I've never heard of Kingdom Suites. I'm assuming it's a Disney hotel that was never built. Got a link where i can learn more?

It was one of a mountain of concepts thrown out there for what was referred to as the Disney Decade back in the very late 80's. It was part of the effort after Eisner and Wells came through the door to 'unlock the value' of the WDW resort which many felt was being squandered back then. Some of the things included in that plan got built like Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk resort but there were lots and lots of concepts in that bucket that never went very far. it included huge expansions for the DHS that never happened like Roger Rabbits Hollywood, ToonTrolley and many many more. Many of the items in the plan never even got as far as concept art, they were just a written treatment and that's about it which is why there is so little info about them. And then, once they ran into the financial mess that was the opening of Euro Disney Resort in '92 and the death of Frank Wells, a whole of stuff just fell off the drawing board.

The only descriptor I've ever found for Kingdom Suites called it a 50-75 room luxury suites hotel, in harmony with Disney's Contemporary Resort, located beside the Seven Seas Lagoon between the Magic Kingdom Park and Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Just do a google search for Disney Decade and you'll find a lot of info on what was part of that overall master plan.

Last edited:

deix15x8

This is exactly what I predict will be reality in a few years...an additional Skyliner route which will be badly needed given the crowding involved with the ferry and monorails during open and close. Of course the only issue here is how its maintenance will be funded as Disney cannot charge guests to use it and it wouldn't be connected to any hotels. (Maybe upcharge Poly?)
With it cutting through that area what if the purpose was not car guests, but to connect the Fort Wilderness Camp Ground, Wilderness Lodge, and new nature hotel directly to a new station at the bus loops of the MK. This would give another option to handle the increasing number of hotel guests in that area. It could even have a TTC bend to allow it some use to off set bus traffic to Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom