Height balloons, this time between TTC and Contemporary

bgraham34

I'm pretty confident in stating that I think we have a better chance of seeing a defrosted-Walt roaming the parks before we ever would see a value resort built on the Magic Kingdom monorail-loop.

I have to agree with you there. Why would they build a value resort and charge $150 a night to have access to MK when they can change $450 a night

Tom

Beta Return
Here are photos of the balloons from @Exprcoofto on twitter.

http://t.co/odUNQ8MM
http://t.co/a2RLFeE9
http://t.co/HBvASo12

As for the land suitability, RCID has always listed it as "suitable" on all of their land suitability maps, and WDW has always shown this as planned for future use on land use maps. If the land isn't suitable for development than WDW and RCID certainly aren't aware of this yet.

Finally - thanks for the pics. And I agree on the land development plan. I have copies of their maps and master plans, and it's clearly slated for development.

Those balloons are most definitely in the very location that the 4th resort would go, if built. One of the balloons, in the third pic, does seem quite high...maybe not CR high, but high. The other two are on par with Poly.

Based on what we've seen recently, I predict they're doing a feasibility study.

A) Do we tear down the Luau Cove, build one measly DVC building at the poly with very few rooms relative to every other DVC property....knowing full well that it's the most popular resort and will sell instantly....

B) ...or do we go back to the Master Plan and build an Aulani-like resort that's part DVC, part Resort, completely integrated from the start, and has a nice, fresh, intensive theme?

I vote for B.

GrumpyFan

nothing concrete yet, on either front..... but I will say monorail expansion is being looked at.. but if only for due diligence. time will tell I suppose. just wait til research hits the TTC with questions about your preferred travel methods..

Me myself, would love the return of a paddlewheel driven craft on seven seas lagoon.....

So, the Screamscape rumor that many dismissed over a month ago was valid then?

I agree, paddlewheel driven craft on the lake would be very cool. If they had a ship, I think it would be neat to have a dinner cruise.

tikiman

Finally - thanks for the pics. And I agree on the land development plan. I have copies of their maps and master plans, and it's clearly slated for development.

Those balloons are most definitely in the very location that the 4th resort would go, if built. One of the balloons, in the third pic, does seem quite high...maybe not CR high, but high. The other two are on par with Poly.

Based on what we've seen recently, I predict they're doing a feasibility study.

A) Do we tear down the Luau Cove, build one measly DVC building at the poly with very few rooms relative to every other DVC property....knowing full well that it's the most popular resort and will sell instantly....

B) ...or do we go back to the Master Plan and build an Aulani-like resort that's part DVC, part Resort, completely integrated from the start, and has a nice, fresh, intensive theme?

I vote for B.

B is not going to happen.

As for the Venetian not being built because of the land it was mostly because of budgets.

mapconcept.jpg

wdw71fan

it was valid in the sense that it is being studied.. but that doesn't mean it will get built, or even designed (again).

meanwhile.. by symetrical, I didn't mean BLT II.. That was already r&d-planned-designed-etc... And is 'green lit', save for a holding pattern while other DVC projects are completed, and the moon is just right..

Meanwhile, there are considerations for a new resort on the plot in question.. as far as theme, size, etc.. I have no idea.. and I know no one that does..

Again, while the company doesn't 'guard' these secrets.. it's kinda like fight club... no one talks about it in the R&D stages.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are at least 2 sets of piles somewhere underneath the site of the Venitian/Med that sank without trace in the early 70s and early 90s.

This is ultra prime real estate for TDO. You'd think if they could have built their flagship on it by now they would have.
Yes and no. Construction technology advances all the time. I have been on the engineering side for a mere 17 years have seen some fairly significant changes in just the residential market. One thing I have learned is you can build anything, anywhere, it just costs more. Eventually the value of that property and the cost to build on it are going to meet. That day might not be for another 20 years. However, that day might have happened 6 months ago.

montyz81

I'm pretty confident in stating that I think we have a better chance of seeing a defrosted-Walt roaming the parks before we ever would see a value resort built on the Magic Kingdom monorail-loop.

I know, I don't really think it will happen either. So the thing I worry about the most is that the Poly will cease to exist as it is today. In other words, they will rebuild it to correct problems with it but in the process convert it to a DVC only resort. Then build a regular resort in this location to compensate for the lost rooms. Would they do that?

tikiman

I know, I don't really think it will happen either. So the thing I worry about the most is that the Poly will cease to exist as it is today. In other words, they will rebuild it to correct problems with it but in the process convert it to a DVC only resort. Then build a regular resort in this location to compensate for the lost rooms. Would they do that?

There are no reasons to take down the longhouses. The only issues they have to address is with the Great Ceremonial House which might have to come down but they plan on staying open through that. There are no plans to close the resort for any length of time while work is done.

orky8

There are no reasons to take down the longhouses. The only issues they have to address is with the Great Ceremonial House which might have to come down but they plan on staying open through that. There are no plans to close the resort for any length of time while work is done.

Well, one reason to consider removing the longhouses is that they are an ineffecient use of space. Perhaps that gives the resort its charm (I've never stayed), but I'm just saying that is a reason.

IanDLBZF

I'm pretty sure taking down the Great Ceremonial House would cause some sort of impact on the resort. :shrug: What could be better is that they could do a complete interior refurbishment (e.g. New Elevators, new flooring, upgraded lighting, repaint of walls, HVAC, etc) instead of a complete rebuild of the Great Ceremonial House.

IanDLBZF

:veryconfu
1. Are you serious? The whole "defrosted Walt roaming the parks" rumor is probably false.
2. Is there a rumor about a value resort going to be built on the Magic Kingdom Monorail loop or is it just me?

tikiman

I'm pretty sure taking down the Great Ceremonial House would cause some sort of impact on the resort. :shrug: What could be better is that they could do a complete interior refurbishment (e.g. New Elevators, new flooring, upgraded lighting, repaint of walls, HVAC, etc) instead of a complete rebuild of the Great Ceremonial House.

That maybe what they do. Either way they have been trying to figure out how to relocate check in and have food service available at another area of the resort.

tikiman

:veryconfu
1. Are you serious? The whole "defrosted Walt roaming the parks" rumor is probably false.
2. Is there a rumor about a value resort going to be built on the Magic Kingdom Monorail loop or is it just me?

Yeah not much chance of unfreezing a body that was cremated but maybe glue the ashes back together :eek:

IanDLBZF

That maybe what they do. Either way they have been trying to figure out how to relocate check in and have food service available at another area of the resort.

:) That's a good thing! However, since I read on your website that they will be doing room remodels in the longhouses, I have a funny feeling that they will also be:
  • Upgrading HVAC in all the longhouses
  • Doing Demand Venalation Modifications in the GCH
  • Upgrading the fire alarm systems, in the longhouses and GCH, which includes new audible/visual devices and initating devices (i.e. Pull Stations, smoke and heat sensors, duct smoke detectors, etc.), as well as installing a voice evacuation system in the GCH
  • Reroofing the longhouses
That's what I also think will happen as well.

Ignohippo

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see an Alauni-style resort crop up there. And we all know how much Disney loves their clones. With how popular Poly seems to be, another island-themed hotel would be just what the doctor ordered.

In the end, Poly is a very inefficient use of space. Don't burn me at the stake here, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them build Alauni and then tear the Poly completely down and rebuild it from scratch with a different layout entirely. This generally goes against the notion of how cheap TDO is, but they seem to be tripping over themselves to build more DVC and if they could add another 500 rooms on the hotel side and then add DVC as well, I'm sure it would justify the expense.

tikiman

:) That's a good thing! However, since I read on your website that they will be doing room remodels in the longhouses, I have a funny feeling that they will also be:
  • Upgrading HVAC in all the longhouses
  • Doing Demand Venalation Modifications in the GCH
  • Upgrading the fire alarm systems, in the longhouses and GCH, which includes new audible/visual devices and initating devices (i.e. Pull Stations, smoke and heat sensors, duct smoke detectors, etc.), as well as installing a voice evacuation system in the GCH
  • Reroofing the longhouses
That's what I also think will happen as well.

My understanding is the new room design consists of everything from the walls in, No work behind the walls but extensive work was done in that area back in 2002.

Roofing the longhouses happens every few years separate to any room design changes but mostly consists of re-priming and painting the rooms, not necessarily replacing the roof unless there is a damaged area. After all they are metal.

As far as what will be done with the GCH it is anybody’s guess. They have two main objectives in the GCH. Become ADA compliant and remove all remaining asbestos. I am sure more than just that will be done but too many different scenarios have been discussed to know what exactly they are going to decide to do.

I know on my site I threw out the idea of them building another Aulani where the Polynesian is but from everything I am told about the plans being put in place, that is not going to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom