Heads-up Apple iPhone 14/Watch Folks

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Be careful next time you hit up SM, EE, BTMM, etc. if you're carrying and/or wearing Apple devices featuring "Crash Detection." It seems it might need a little... Tweaking.

What Every Apple Watch User Should Know Before Riding A Roller Coaster

"It seems if you take a newer Apple Watch or an iPhone 14 on a roller coaster, you could end up notifying the authorities of your thrill ride. Owners have been reporting that their devices think they have been in some type of collision, like a car accident or similar, while being physically flung around on a roller coaster or other fast-moving amusement park ride."

The devices that currently have the feature include:

- iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models with iOS 16, and Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch SE (2nd generation)
- Apple Watch Ultra with the latest version of watchOS

DisneyDebRob

🤦🏼 Sounds like new signs in front of the coasters are needed.. right below you shouldn’t right if you are pregnant or insist on wearing a new apple warch. I’m sure there’s a notification you can turn off on it. Would hope so anyway.

Ayla

🤦🏼 Sounds like new signs in front of the coasters are needed.. right below you shouldn’t right if you are pregnant or insist on wearing a new apple warch. I’m sure there’s a notification you can turn off on it. Would hope so anyway.
All you have to do is switch to airplane mode before you ride and switch back when done.

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Apple could just geofence amusement parks using GPS and disable the feature temporarily, but where does that end? What about white water rafting or other activities? Seems they just need a slightly longer sample period before activation... Crashes typically don't continue for five minutes. Relax the accelerometer curve a bit.

We tested it out at WDW with the latest devices - no issues.
The probability of triggering appears rather limited, but clearly not zero.

Trekkie101

I managed to squeeze the wrong (or right) buttons on my XS on Paris’ BTM of all things with the phone in my pocket. Sent an SOS to all my emergency contacts.
Five clicks of the power button.

Usefully Paris emergency services won't attend an auto message at DLP unless voice confirmation. I guess they've sort of self-geofenced it.

Usefully the police/response centre is just to the side of the resort in Val D'Europe behind the DLP bus stances.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Five clicks of the power button.

Usefully Paris emergency services won't attend an auto message at DLP unless voice confirmation. I guess they've sort of self-geofenced it.

Usefully the police/response centre is just to the side of the resort in Val D'Europe behind the DLP bus stances.
Thankfully (!) all it led to was a slew of messages and calls from the U.K.

Vegas Disney Fan

I managed to squeeze the wrong (or right) buttons on my XS on Paris’ BTM of all things with the phone in my pocket. Sent an SOS to all my emergency contacts.
I had this happen when I put my phone in my car holder and it pinched the buttons, I heard a ring and looked down to see my phone dialing the police.

Thankfully I was able to hit end before they answered, it’s a great feature but I wonder how often they get unintentional calls.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Dolly already did it

muddyrivers

I also think the response is a bit overblown since (as far as I know) this has happened on only one rollercoaster in one themepark in Ohio. It is not as if this is happening on every roller coaster or even a large number across the world.

ToTBellHop

That's why you get android. They don't care. Oh you crashed? We just automatically started an update on your phone.
Here is a funny little pic for our new os. Just tap developer options 10 times to see it.
That’s why I’m loyal to Apple. They are committed to keeping me alive for the next iPhone. I understand the iPhone XX will simply replace my head.
1665746542016.png

“Hello there!”

DisneyCane

Apple has said that one of the signals they use for crash detection is being on a road via GPS.
This makes a lot of sense. I would not think that the feature would have made it past the first meeting to define specifications without being on a road enabling the feature.

I guess it could false alarm in a park with a rollercoaster that is right up against a road close enough for the GPS "snap to grid" algorithm to think the rider is actually on the road. I can't think of any coaster at WDW that would even be close enough to a parking lot for this to occur.

Patcheslee

That's why you get android. They don't care. Oh you crashed? We just automatically started an update on your phone.
Here is a funny little pic for our new os. Just tap developer options 10 times to see it.
We have verizon smart family for my kid, I had to turn off driving notifications for her cause she was driving unsafe on The Beast 😆

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom