Have you ever taken your kids out of school to go to WDW?

bethymouse

OK- I'
Um, teaching is definitely not the only profession that requires a Masters. I am a physical therapist. We can't practice unless we are licensed in the state we work in. In order to be licensed, we have to pass an exam. There is a long list of requirements needed to take the exam. When I took the exam in 1996, a Masters Degree from an accredited program was required. Now, a doctorate in Physical Therapy is required.

You knew what was required for continuing Ed when you became a teacher, right?

And we get a lot less time off than teachers do....
ll give you that one!;) But... how many workshops/meetings/conferences do you attend a year?:eek:

bjlc57

We took our DD(10) 5th grade, out of school two weeks ago to go to WDW. We had an awesome time and I don't regret a minute of it. She has made up all of her work and from what I can tell it didn't hurt her at all to miss that time (4 days). I am seriously cosidering booking another trip in 2 years but would prefer not to go during the summer or a holiday due to the crowds. I'd much rather go during the off season, Sept. or Oct. My dilemma is by then she will be in middle school and to I risk taking her out of school and her missing classes and possible getting behind?

My dad took me out of school in the 4th grade, 5th grade and every year after that in the 1970s and i did the same.. there was only one rule, the teachers had to give me my homework in advance, and it had to be DONE in ADVANCE.. and trust me I was alway two weeks ahead of the class, due to the fact that the Nun hated my guts and thought that I would never get the three weeks worth of stuff done before we left for a week.. and each year it was egg on her face.. my kids did great in school, it was never a problem to take them out of school. Never..

Cosmic Commando

That's the other thing that bugs me. Parents pulling their kids out of school and saying that going to WDW is educational because tney learn cash handling, social interaction, and in EPCOT they have the various countries.

Agree of disagree with me about taking your kids out of school, but if you do, at least have the honesty to say it is a vacation pure and simple - not that it is educational, or family bonding (really, you can't bond the other 51 weeks of the year?)

-dave
I would pull my kids out of public school for any vacation... even sitting on a beach (not my style, though). How many people can only take vacation when their workplace is physically closed? Why should kids be any different? As long as your kids are doing well in school, go for it! It's just unfortunate that so many school districts now think that they have custody of your kids. Maybe that's why we homeschool. :cool:

I would never, ever claim to take a trip to WDW because it's educational, but there is a lot to learn there. I'd give the same answer I give when people ask me, "Why do you go? Your kids won't even remember?" Umm... it's FUN! On any given day, you can reliably talk to CMs from 13-14 different countries. How is that not Social Studies? There is a lot to be gleaned from the parks, some of it you just have to work for a little bit. My son colored pictures of the flags from all of the countries from World Showcase and then took pictures with all of the CMs in World Showcase with his flags. Then we bought a World Showcase photo album and put the pictures, the flags, and a map showing where each of those people were from. The CMs really ate him up; I think they enjoyed someone taking an interest in their respective countries. A guy from Thailand at DAK made him a little origami-type bird from a leaf. He learned how to play mancala with a woman from Botswana. You can have many of the cast members write something in their language for you so you can see the different styles. Even grown-ups can learn something: I was listening to a CM from South Africa speak, and I learned that South Africa has a large Indian immigrant community. Now when I see Sanaa or the "bunny chow" curry served at the South Africa booth at F&W, it makes sense to me. Again, not that I would claim WDW is completely educational, but it's not not educational.

WDW 3

Yes we took our dd out of school. We didn't get hooked and start regular WDW vacations until our dd was in middle school so our only experience is taking her out while she was in middle school, high school and yes last spring for her birthday and our first time to Disneyland she as an adult now skipped a couple days of college.

We did try to book around a school holiday but she always missed several days. Her teachers rarely ever sent any school work. We could go for an entire week without her cracking a book.

Well worth it every time:)

Phonedave

We are taking our two grandboys for 10 days at the end of November. They will miss 7 days of school. I was most worried about the older one (he's in 5th grade). I contacted their teachers and was given "That is awesome! Have a great vacation!" They will be giving the boys any worksheets and reading assignments to take with them. The boys will be keeping a journal for their trip.
With technology today, they can do their work on the go, while waiting in lines and for shows. On our tablet will be their scanned worksheets and ebooks for reading.I have made a passport for EPCOT-World Showcase with fun facts about each country. I have a trasure hunt of sorts, where they have to find something unique in each country. This is an area we usually just walk through looking for meet and greets, now it will be a geography/history lesson.
I never would have taken my children out of school, but a whole different story for my grand boys!

That is like studying for a test while watching TV.

-dave

Yelloweaver

We have already been excused for taking our kindergartener out for 7 school days this November (45 days!).
I asked about homework - they said don't worry about it! It is kindergarten after all, however, we won't be doing this once she gets past kindergarten. I imagine being Montessori helps a little. We will continue reading with her 20 minutes a day/night while we are gone.

Phonedave

I would pull my kids out of public school for any vacation... even sitting on a beach (not my style, though). How many people can only take vacation when their workplace is physically closed? Why should kids be any different?

Because it IS different- or just maybe we should have public school run 12 months a year, and then have kids get 4 weeks vacation, 5 personal days, and 7 governement holidays. Then they could "apply" for vacation just like in many jobs "Sorry Timmy, you have to come to school the day after Christmas. We allow 10% of the force off at any given time and you don't have the senority to get your vacation pick". Maybe schools could also institute a sickness and absence plan like many workplaces. "Oh you were absent more than your allotted sick time, you get to go onto a disciplinary plan"

I would never, ever claim to take a trip to WDW because it's educational, but there is a lot to learn there. I'd give the same answer I give when people ask me, "Why do you go? Your kids won't even remember?" Umm... it's FUN! On any given day, you can reliably talk to CMs from 13-14 different countries. How is that not Social Studies? There is a lot to be gleaned from the parks, some of it you just have to work for a little bit. My son colored pictures of the flags from all of the countries from World Showcase and then took pictures with all of the CMs in World Showcase with his flags. Then we bought a World Showcase photo album and put the pictures, the flags, and a map showing where each of those people were from. The CMs really ate him up; I think they enjoyed someone taking an interest in their respective countries. A guy from Thailand at DAK made him a little origami-type bird from a leaf. He learned how to play mancala with a woman from Botswana. You can have many of the cast members write something in their language for you so you can see the different styles. Even grown-ups can learn something: I was listening to a CM from South Africa speak, and I learned that South Africa has a large Indian immigrant community. Now when I see Sanaa or the "bunny chow" curry served at the South Africa booth at F&W, it makes sense to me. Again, not that I would claim WDW is completely educational, but it's not not educational.

I will grant you that you can learn things at WDW. But a trip to WDW in no way provides as much educational material as a week in school. Talking to CM's from differnt countries is not much if there is no context to back it up. No follow up, no extrapiation of thought, no cause and effect. Case in point - South Aftica has a large Indian population - why? What drove the immigration? What impact does it have on the economy, social structure, and job market of SA? Was it before or after Apartheid. What other impacts does it have aside from cuisine? Yes, WDW, in specific EPCOT is a great place to START learning about something, but all they really give you is a taste.

The flag project that you did was a good project, incorporating a variety of skills and ideas. I doubt many parents who claim they take their children to EPCOT because it is educational put in the same level of effort.

-dave

PrincessAlice89

Every year my parents would take us out of school for a full week for our Disney World trip. It never bothered my grades too much, but my younger sister always had a very hard time catching up on what she missed.

Epcot-Rules

Our kids do extremely well in school so it's no biggie. Well my 18 year old son is a senior and taking college classes in high school so he will not miss school because he don't want to get behind, and he got a job at Baskin Robins. Our other 2 boys love missing. We contact the school and get it approved ahead, and they provide the extra work to take with us.

hankhill

Yes Yes a Thousand times yes. We have consistantly taken the kids out for our trips in both October, September and December and even once in May. I have no issue with it. My kids get straight "A"s, they participate in Sports and Student Activities, they are good kids and I get to determine when they need a break not a school administrator.

Cosmic Commando

Because it IS different- or just maybe we should have public school run 12 months a year, and then have kids get 4 weeks vacation, 5 personal days, and 7 governement holidays. Then they could "apply" for vacation just like in many jobs "Sorry Timmy, you have to come to school the day after Christmas. We allow 10% of the force off at any given time and you don't have the senority to get your vacation pick". Maybe schools could also institute a sickness and absence plan like many workplaces. "Oh you were absent more than your allotted sick time, you get to go onto a disciplinary plan"
-dave
Have you been reading this thread? A lot of the experiences parents have with their school district are edging towards your worst-case scenario, especially the bolded part. :p

I pretty much agree with you about the educational aspect, too. You have to work to make it educational. I think it's not educational, but it's not not educational. It does provide a lot of opportunities for learning.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Every fall for two weeks. No regrets. One graduated from college and the other is an honor student at a Big Ten University. Nope, no regrets. Family time rules!

Slobby Bobby

We just had a four day weekend and then added a few days to it to make it six days. When we got back home yesterday we had a parent/teacher conference and the teacher asked all about the trip. She didn't hassle us at all. My son has a wonderful teacher.

Goofnut1980

Growing up, my parents always took my brother and myself out of school during the fall or spring when everyone else was not on a break. It made for a better family vacation. My parents made us get all school work for that week and have it done on the plane trip or before we left. I can remember a few years, my teachers just made me write a small essay on what educational information I learned from our Disney trip. It helped coming from a small school, graduating class was only 58 students. So everyone knew everyone and if there would have been an acedemic issue my teachers would have just stopped over to my parents house to tell them missing school would not be good for me. Personally, if your child is able to handle a week off, take it. They are only young once.

RedBaron

Our school handbook says that it discourages unexcused absences and any more than 10 in a school year will result in a investigation and then even excused absences will result in needing a Dr. note. It also states that we can not request homework or other missed work in advance since it is not the teachers responsibility to plan lessons in advance, and all missed work must be completed after the student returns within a certain amount of days. I actually just took both of my kids out for 1 day because we took an extended Columbus day weekend to Michigan. Naturally last Thursday my daughter (3rd grade) came home from school with a fever and missed school on Friday. Yesterday my son (Kindergarten) got the same thing and is home today. So now my 1 extra day has turned into 2. I have often thought of taking them out for Disney, but I am not sure about taking them out for more than a few . Even though my daughter gets good grades in school, sometimes doing homework is a real chore, so double homework could be a challenge. I guess I am probably stuck with busy holidays or summer. :(

Phonedave

Have you been reading this thread? A lot of the experiences parents have with their school district are edging towards your worst-case scenario, especially the bolded part. :p

The bolded part in some districts - yes, but not 52 weeks of school and so many vacation days - but there is a growing idea about 12 month school years, with breaks between semesters. That may by an interesting thing. I haven't thought about it too deeply, or looked into results of studies, but at first blush it sounds like a decent idea. And a lot of private sector jobs have very strigent attendance plans, more so than schools do.

I pretty much agree with you about the educational aspect, too. You have to work to make it educational. I think it's not educational, but it's not not educational. It does provide a lot of opportunities for learning.

Yes, there are opportunites there. But as somone who home-schools, I am sure you know that opportunities are everywhere (well just about everywhere)

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom