Have you ever heard of.........

adam_goodger

Original Poster
I am currently in the process of writing a book about Walt Disney World and wondered if anyone had ever heard of a book along similar lines? It is split into 2 sections. The first is a history of how Walt Disney World came to be, The history of the site and how it was developed. It talks of how Walt envisaged Disney World and how it actually turned out. The things that were built and the things that weren't

The second part of the book focuses specifically on the Magic Kingdom. It takes the park land by land and looks at the rides, attractions and shows that were their since the day the park opened in 1971, what are the stories behind the building of the attraction and how has it changed? Each more elaborate ride/show/attraction also has a ride-through commentary to aid those people who many never have ridden it or to refresh those who have enjoyed it so many times.

Is this a book anyone had heard of or, better still people would be interesting in reading it?

Captain Hank

Well, the topic has been pretty thoroughly covered in the three books below, among several others. In addition, the EPCOT film, featured in the Tomorrowland Disney Treasures DVD, (out of print) gives an overview of the original master plan for the Florida Project, right from Walt himself.

http://www.amazon.com/SINCE-WORLD-B...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206658657&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Imagineering-...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206659034&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/WALT-DISNEY-I...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206659067&sr=1-1

Edit: links fixed...I think

maryszhi

i would love to read it. im currently at the world and think that would be an awesome book, especially if it would be endorsed by disney

primetime52

Your idea is great, but it sounds alot like David Koenig's "Realityland."

The only possible difference is that your description implies that you will go into slightly more detail into MK than Koenig did. He had a more broad focus on all parks, and probably not such a detailed single focus on MK.

adam_goodger

Original Poster
Many people have compared it to reailtyland but this book is very different to that. Where as David focuses more on the real detail of the buiding of Disney I have gone into the deatil of the panning, contsruction and opening of Phase 1. The second half of the book goes into more detail about each individual ride, attraction and show that was ever at Disney World including all the new shows for A Year of a Million Dreams. Each more elaborate ride also gets a ride through commentary of the ride in its current form.

I've not found one single book that has these elements. I obviously know of some that cover one or the other in detail but not an all in one

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Art of Disney first edition (1973) by Christopher Finch pretty much covers these topics.

I`d be interested in what you know about certain attractions and how they came to be how they were built... If You Had Wings, the WEDway and Space Mountain could have a history book each to themselves!

cpeterstx

I'm sure that most of this has been covered in several publications. However, I will always welcome a new book to my collection. Best of luck to you! :wave:

adam_goodger

Original Poster
The Art of Disney first edition (1973) by Christopher Finch pretty much covers these topics.

I`d be interested in what you know about certain attractions and how they came to be how they were built... If You Had Wings, the WEDway and Space Mountain could have a history book each to themselves!

If you had wings changed it's name about 3 times in the end because of the sponsors dropping out. Space Mountain equally has a lot of history. I'm no where near writing about Tomorrow land. Have only just finished rides, attractions and shows for Adventureland and attractions in Main Street. I am currently working on Frontierland. I have written sections of the changes to the Railroad and its first and second stations. I have finished the history and ride through commentary for Big Thunder Mountain, Yes I did say ride through. There is so much detail that is missed because of the speed you are traveling. I am currently working on the history and ride-through commentary for Splash Mountain. Still a long way to go yet!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nooooo.... the fact IYHW wasn`t supposed to be built, the fact the building was too small, and the basement that wasn`t needed....

Or the Space Mountain where the CoP was built, the WEDWay through the Raceway with a garage next to 20K, and the Tomorrowland Railroad Station we very nearly got...

When it comes to it, feel free to PM me if you feel I can help. Let`s just say along with EPCOT Center, Tomorrowlands history is one of my pet topics.

DizneyPryncess

It sounds very interesting. I think reading anything from anyone who knows about true Disney facts is fascinating. Every author has different information, experiences, and a different point of view to write from. Even if there are similar books out there, yours would still have its own uniqueness and would be welcomed into any Disney book collectors collection.

adam_goodger

Original Poster
I'm hoping do. As much as this started out to be a bit of a pet project. I have started to take it very seriously and have spent a lot of time on it already. I am going to probably publish this book through an online store and hopefully people will take enough interest in wanting a copy.

Who know eh?

adam_goodger

Original Poster
Well........

100 pages in and still going. I forget just how many version of The Country Bear Jamboree there was!!!!! Have about finished that section now. Not much longer and I can move onto Fantasyland!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom