Have you ever heard of or been to Ocracoke Island NC?

DisneyPhD

Original Poster
It is on the outter banks of NC. You have to take a car ferry to get there and while it has changed tons I was a kid there is no chain resturants or stores on the place. Mostly it is a beach resort, but it was fishing when my dad was there as a kid (his mother was born on the Island so he spent his summers there as a child.)

We call it our "anti-Disney" vacation. :animwink: :lol: Lots of beach, gift shops, biking, fishing, not much else.

I still have a family on the Island and more are coming with us so it should be fun.

Every time I tell some one around here were we are going they say "where?"

ScrappyTam

Yep, I've heard of it. Especially since I live and grew up here in NC. Never have been though. I grew up in Wilmington, which is just minutes away from several beaches.

DisneyPhD

Original Poster
Since you have to take a ferry to get there (a free one from Hatteress) or a 2 hour ride from Swan Quater or Cedar Island it isn't a place as many people go to unless it is there destination.

Here is a web site I found if anyone is interested.

http://www.ocracokeisland.com/

We have so much busy stuff to do between now and when we leave (in a week) that we will really desereve a break (now getting there in one piece will be the hard part.)

Connor002

I've heard of it.

My family has gone down to NC every year since I was born.

It's nice because its secluded, but not too far away from things.

:( Sadly we can't go this year because I start high school.

Kadee

I've heard of it, but don't know much about it (other than what you just told us). I used to live in the Tidewater area of Virginia (Poquoson, for those of you familiar with the area), so I heard the name often. Sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll have to plan a vacation there, IF I can squeeze it in between WDW.

DisneyPhD

Original Poster
Kadee said:
I've heard of it, but don't know much about it (other than what you just told us). I used to live in the Tidewater area of Virginia (Poquoson, for those of you familiar with the area), so I heard the name often. Sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll have to plan a vacation there, IF I can squeeze it in between WDW.

My dad grew up in Norfolk and Virginia Beach and most of his brothers and sisters still live there. We have a hard time getting some of the family to come down to Ocracoke because they are at the beach already. We are going to spend a few days there on the way home. I love that area. My Uncle had a house right on 73rd on the beach side. Saddly he died 2003, it won't be the same with out him around. He was so great, 89 years and he was so active (right up until the heart attack.)

Fantasmic!329

I'm leaving for Norfolk on the 11th. Never been to Virginia before, and now I am going twice in one summer! :lol:
I have a family reuinion to go to down by Sterling at the end of July.

LilDucky

I also live in NC (although in the mountains, not very near the coast) and my friends go there all the time. I have lived in NC for 12 years now, but I have never been to the coast. Its as far (or even farther not completely sure) than WDW is for us!!! Hope you have a great time!

celticdog

Ocracoke is a beautiful little island. It's tranquil and very relaxing. It really is a getaway from the high speed hustle and bustle of life. There are some great little mom and pop restaurants, pubs and shops. The pirate history is very rich and makes it worth trip down.

LilDucky

Fantasmic!329 said:
LilDucky-
Where in the mountains of NC are you? My brother used to live in Hickory and I visited him there, what a nice place!

I live in Asheville (or as known to my friends, Ashevegas) and its a little further west than Hickory. It the largest city in WNC. However, I'm jealous that Hickory has an Old Navy and we don't...considering were larger than they are!!! :mad: Hickory is a nice little place, and in a very convenient location; close enough to Charlotte, but far enough to not be in the city!

Kadee

DisneyPhD said:
My dad grew up in Norfolk and Virginia Beach and most of his brothers and sisters still live there. We have a hard time getting some of the family to come down to Ocracoke because they are at the beach already. We are going to spend a few days there on the way home. I love that area. My Uncle had a house right on 73rd on the beach side. Saddly he died 2003, it won't be the same with out him around. He was so great, 89 years and he was so active (right up until the heart attack.)

I LOVED Virginia! There was just something special about it. We have often talked about moving back. I just loved Williamsburg and the mountains. I still have a cousin in VABeach. He and his wife are in the Navy and have been there for about 14 years. I wasn't too impressed with the actual beach area of VABeach; it was way too built up and crowded. I prefer the beach here in Alabama and the Florida panhandle. Less commercial (although it seems to be catching up with VABeach very quickly)

DisneyPhD

Original Poster
Kadee said:
I LOVED Virginia! There was just something special about it. We have often talked about moving back. I just loved Williamsburg and the mountains. I still have a cousin in VABeach. He and his wife are in the Navy and have been there for about 14 years. I wasn't too impressed with the actual beach area of VABeach; it was way too built up and crowded. I prefer the beach here in Alabama and the Florida panhandle. Less commercial (although it seems to be catching up with VABeach very quickly)

They rebuilt the beach 3 years or so ago, dreging up sand and making it bigger. I don't like the down town area beach and almost never go there to swim, just to do the board walk things.

My uncles house was right on 73rd street and the beach down there is great. My kids like it better then Ocracoke because the waves aren't as instese or even as salty because of the bay. People used to park on his fount lawn to go the beach, he hated that. I think is children still own the house, but no one is living there anymore. It will be really strange to be there with out him.

I love Willamsburg too. I am trying to convince hubby to stop there on the way home and spend a day at Bush gardens.

Fantasmic!329

LilDucky said:
I live in Asheville (or as known to my friends, Ashevegas) and its a little further west than Hickory. It the largest city in WNC. However, I'm jealous that Hickory has an Old Navy and we don't...considering were larger than they are!!! :mad: Hickory is a nice little place, and in a very convenient location; close enough to Charlotte, but far enough to not be in the city!
That was the name of the other town! Asheville, that's right. I went there, nice little shopping area if my memory serves me.
We had flown into Charlotte and then drove the rental car to Hickory. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Select.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom