Have we lost the meaning of anticipation and excitement?

JillC LI

Are you so involved in the videos prior to a trip to WDW and Disneyland that we have lost all meaning of the excitement and anticipation of an upcoming Disney trip? Does the internet technology take it all away for us that we had years ago before we wnet on our great and wonderful trips and does it take away from our children especially ones that will be going on their first and maybe once in a lifetime trip?

That's why I will not be viewing any videos of the new coaster before I get to ride it. It takes self-control but it is worth it. More significantly, I didn't let the ultrasound technician tell me the sex of either of my children either. Some surprises are worth waiting for.

Kuzcotopia

I had my then DD3 watch the HM video a few times, so she could make a better decision about riding. We did, and she was a trooper, but it scared her.

Now we're going again when she's five, and HM is what she's most excited about. She wants to conquer that ride!

She's also over 40" now, which opens up a lot more possibilities. . . This time, no videos for her! I was her to be surprised.

steamboatjosh

In my opinion it can both kill and help anticipation/excitement. Like for me, I've learned about several different things to do that I didn't know about before from online and we are now planning on doing those things on our Honeymoon. However, last night my fiance started playing a video of the SDMT and when it got to a certain point I'm like "No, turn it off! I want it to be a surprise when we ride it!" .

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
In my opinion it can both kill and help anticipation/excitement. Like for me, I've learned about several different things to do that I didn't know about before from online and we are now planning on doing those things on our Honeymoon. However, last night my fiance started playing a video of the SDMT and when it got to a certain point I'm like "No, turn it off! I want it to be a surprise when we ride it!" .
There you go. There's not much more to it than this. If you're the type that gets the surprise\anticipation ruined for you by watching the videos than there is a solution: Don't watch 'em!
I temper my anticipation by watching certain things I can't wait to see and other things that I want to be surprised by. For instance I have watched many of the "simulated" ride throughs of the 7DMT however when Steve posted the actual live ride through, I chose NOT to watch it and wait to be surprised in September.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Nothing can kill the excitement and anticipation for me, just ask my daughter. I've seen several of the videos for SDMT and can hardly wait to ride it. I like planning our trip (since my dear darling daughter likes to sleep in and she means until 10 AM) with FP+. And make ADRs. That way the rest of the day can be spontaneous. For shopping.

There you go. There's not much more to it than this. If you're the type that gets the surprise\anticipation ruined for you by watching the videos than there is a solution: Don't watch 'em!
I temper my anticipation by watching certain things I can't wait to see and other things that I want to be surprised by. For instance I have watched many of the "simulated" ride throughs of the 7DMT however when Steve posted the actual live ride through, I chose NOT to watch it and wait to be surprised in September.
I remember going to disneyworld soon after Expedition Everest first opened, not knowing what the ride was all about, and then watching the hotel channel in our room the first day and seeing that it went backwards. I admit, I was a little bummed out, but didn't tell my family. I need to grow up!

Ginzuishou

I know, it's so enticing to watch the videos on YouTube before going. What you can do is watch parts of the video, that way some is a surprise. :)

Kuzcotopia

I wonder what percentage of WDW guests are going to get to the gates of MK, grab a map, and first hear about the mine train then? If the little icon didn't say NEW! next to it, would they even know?

I think that people who take time to read stuff on these forums represent a small percentage of the average visitor. A higher percentage of us watched the video, but we're a subpop of everyone else.

seahawk7

In 2003 my wife planned our first WDW trip our two children at the time were 4 and 2 and we had so much excitement and anticipation building prior to our trip as it was our family's first trip we didn't know what to expect once we arrived and this is the trip when I knew this is where I wanted to be and would always come back. We didn't have Youtube, Facebook or other internet options to go to prior to our trip although, I think the Disboards was just starting and we had gathered enough information that we planned a great trip.
Now here it is 2014 our family has grown to four they are 15, 12, 10 and 5 we just returned ffrom a 7 night stay but, as I look at all the videos on Youtube of the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride and all the other Facebook pages and all the other internet pages that are out there to view about WDW and Disneyland it brings up a thought.
Are you so involved in the videos prior to a trip to WDW and Disneyland that we have lost all meaning of the excitement and anticipation of an upcoming Disney trip? Does the internet technology take it all away for us that we had years ago before we wnet on our great and wonderful trips and does it take away from our children especially ones that will be going on their first and maybe once in a lifetime trip?
I like to watch all the youtube videos and I especially like to visit sites on the internet that will help me plan for my next upcoming trip. I visit annually with my family for the last 10 years plus go to Disneyland. I LOVE Disney so I want to see other people enjoying their trips when I am at home. I have also grown increasingly dissatisfied with the customer service when calling WDW when planning my trips. I edit ressies and now fastpasses to the last minute based on the new info I get from trusted unofficial websites. I thank all the youtube Disney regulars, the people on these threads, and every unofficial Disney website that helps me make the most of my trips. So to me they are a blessing.

AlexPorter

I'm trying to find an old Disney world video it was a lot like the 2005 HCOE planning dvd. It had 4 families, one average family that stayed in the animal kingdom lodge, an African American couple that focused on honeymoon activities, 3 girlfriends that focused on adult activities like going to clubs, then one family that was with grandparents and little kids, they ended the video all watching the fireworks. Im really mad I can't find it anywhere has anyone else seen this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom