Haunted Masion secrets

MileLongBar

Original Poster
Since I have been on the haunted mansion over 100 times I noticed last week that at the end when your getting off the doom buggy the torches on the wall are just paper light and wind. It completly blew me away that something that simple looked so good. I mean I really had to look at it! Oh and in the fire scene in pirates there is a torch on the left side with the same effect. Pretty cool stuff and I have actually never heard anything about it I just noticed it the last time we rode.

Yoop33

Try entering the lobby at Kidani Village!!! They have lanterns there that look 10x better!! As you walk past it appears to be a flickering candle but when you stand still and stare at it, you realize its just simply a light behind a perferated shade

Yoop33

Anyone know about the "Jacks" from Nightmare Before Christmas? I think there is something like 5 or 6 of them... But unless the ride breaks down and you have to get off, the odds of you finding them are slim to non. But good luck!!!

MansionGoer13z

Anyone know about the "Jacks" from Nightmare Before Christmas? I think there is something like 5 or 6 of them... But unless the ride breaks down and you have to get off, the odds of you finding them are slim to non. But good luck!!!

Heard of them but haven't seen them.

wayneway

When you are leaving the attic (when your doombuggy goes backwards downhill) you will notice the outside of the house you are leaving is white with shingle style roofing, like a plantation house. But from the outside of the mansion it is a brick victorian style house? This is because when they were building the Disneyland Haunted Mansion WED created two of everything in anticipation of a Florida installation and at the time the outside design was assumed to be the same. Once they changed the outside design the inside house design remained the same as Disneyland's.

Scuttle

When you are leaving the attic (when your doombuggy goes backwards downhill) you will notice the outside of the house you are leaving is white with shingle style roofing, like a plantation house. But from the outside of the mansion it is a brick victorian style house? This is because when they were building the Disneyland Haunted Mansion WED created two of everything in anticipation of a Florida installation and at the time the outside design was assumed to be the same. Once they changed the outside design the inside house design remained the same as Disneyland's.

That's very interesting. I thought I have heard it all about the HM, but this is new to me.

SnowWhite71

I read a book of hidden secrets and in it they mention Madame Leota's ring and you are to ask a CM about it. We did this last week while there and we got a great story and clues of where to find this ring. The location written in my book was not the current location. I guess it had been moved and now is found during the new cementary queue. Anyone else find it? It's pretty cool!

raven

I read a book of hidden secrets and in it they mention Madame Leota's ring and you are to ask a CM about it. We did this last week while there and we got a great story and clues of where to find this ring. The location written in my book was not the current location. I guess it had been moved and now is found during the new cementary queue. Anyone else find it? It's pretty cool!

Um, Madame Leota is nothing but a head, she has no arms, hands or fingers. Therefor she wouldn't have a ring per se. I think you are getting this confused with the old pole remains that were near the exit of the ride on the ground. CMs made up a story about it being the Bride's ring but it was about the size of a nut and bolt, not a ring.

CaptainShortty

Um, Madame Leota is nothing but a head, she has no arms, hands or fingers. Therefor she wouldn't have a ring per se. I think you are getting this confused with the old pole remains that were near the exit of the ride on the ground. CMs made up a story about it being the Bride's ring but it was about the size of a nut and bolt, not a ring.

You're correct, it is the bride's ring and not Madame Leota's. To my knowledge the "ring" (which was actually the end of a metal pole that had to be cut out of the cement) no longer exists. CMs still use the story to entice guests and enhance the ride experience.

As far as secrets here are some I have...
- There is a hidden mickey in the plates on the table in the dancing ghosts scene.
- The door the "bends" in the beginning of the ride is made of rubber.
- In the hallway that looks like it never ends, one of the doors is real and used for maintenance/evacuation.
- In the staircases scene only one of them is real and actually leads somewhere.
- The crow appears in every scene because he was originally supposed to be the narrator of the ride. When the ghost host was introduced they kept the crows in anyway.
- There are touch pads on the sides of the haunted mansion ride track that if stepped on will automatically stop the ride.
- The talking busts in the outdoor scene is voiced by the same man who voiced tony the tiger.
- There is a hidden Mickey in the grim reeper in the tombstone in the outdoor scene.
- When you exit the ride the bricks on the righthand side (in between the ride track and the exit) are made of a cushiony material. (For safety reasons incase a little kid accidentally runs into them)
- In the graveyard in the exit queue there is a tombstone for Mr. Toad commemorating the closing of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Rob562

Actually, they placed a *real* ring (or at least something heavy-duty that's made to look like a ring) in the the pavement in part of the new queue.

Jeff Lange has photos on his website, I'll see if I can find the link.

-Rob

CaptainShortty

Actually, they placed a *real* ring (or at least something heavy-duty that's made to look like a ring) in the the pavement in part of the new queue.

Jeff Lange has photos on his website, I'll see if I can find the link.

-Rob

Didn't know that...Glad to see they added it into the new queue. :sohappy:

HM GhostHostess

The Haunted Mansion contains so many interesting secrets. This is one of the many reasons why I love it so much :)

I know a few secrets about the mansion that I would like to share:
-The hearse outside of the Haunted Mansion was actually used in the funeral scene of the 1965 John Wayne film, The Sons of Katie Elder.
-The old woman ghost in the ballroom scene, who is sitting in a rocking chair next the the fireplace, is actually the same animatronic as the grandmother in the Carousel of Progress.
-X Atencio, the man responsible for the script and main musical theme of the Haunted Mansion, actually voiced the corpse who is desperately trying to escape the coffin in the Conservatory scene. It is also X Atencio's voice that announces when "playful spooks have interrupted [the] tour."
-The giant spiders that once existed in mansion, before the Endless Staircase scene was put in, are identical to the spiders found in the Jungle Cruise temple.
-There are no ghosts of children in the Haunted Mansion.
-In the far right corner of the loading area, there is a table that has a lamp and a dictionary on it. The dictionary is opened up to the page where the definition of ghost is displayed.
-There is a ripped up and broken animatronic head of "Max", from the Country Bear Jamboree, underneath the floor of the Séance scene.
-The tableware and plates on the dining table of the ballroom scene is actually a set that can be regularly purchased. The set is called "Romantic England (Red)." Go ahead, look it up and buy them ;)

juniorthomas

The Haunted Mansion contains so many interesting secrets. This is one of the many reasons why I love it so much :)

I know a few secrets about the mansion that I would like to share:
-The hearse outside of the Haunted Mansion was actually used in the funeral scene of the 1965 John Wayne film, The Sons of Katie Elder.
-The old woman ghost in the ballroom scene, who is sitting in a rocking chair next the the fireplace, is actually the same animatronic as the grandmother in the Carousel of Progress.
-X Atencio, the man responsible for the script and main musical theme of the Haunted Mansion, actually voiced the corpse who is desperately trying to escape the coffin in the Conservatory scene. It is also X Atencio's voice that announces when "playful spooks have interrupted [the] tour."
-The giant spiders that once existed in mansion, before the Endless Staircase scene was put in, are identical to the spiders found in the Jungle Cruise temple.
-There are no ghosts of children in the Haunted Mansion.
-In the far right corner of the loading area, there is a table that has a lamp and a dictionary on it. The dictionary is opened up to the page where the definition of ghost is displayed.
-There is a ripped up and broken animatronic head of "Max", from the Country Bear Jamboree, underneath the floor of the Séance scene.
-The tableware and plates on the dining table of the ballroom scene is actually a set that can be regularly purchased. The set is called "Romantic England (Red)." Go ahead, look it up and buy them ;)

Never noticed the children thing. Still, as a kid, the ride terrified me.

The hidden "Donald" chair in the library is not actually a hidden donald. The chair is actually a throw-back from when imagineer, Rolly Crump, was designing a "Museum of the Weird" for Disneyland. Slowly the museum of the weird idea was scrapped, but many of the designs were worked into the haunted mansion, including the chair referenced above, as well as the torches held by disembodied arms.

Also, all of the singing busts in the graveyard scene are not done by the man who did the voice of Tony the Tiger. The man who did the voice of Tony the Tiger is Thurl Ravenscroft. His voice is the deep baritone. His bust is the broken one that is laying on its side. He is often mistaken for Walt Disney.

Also, the plates in the ballroom scene are not an imagineer recognized "hidden mickey" in actuality, those plates are made into hidden mickeys by cast members when the ride is cleaned.

Also, the voice of the "Ghost Host" is Paul Frees. He did a lot of work for Disney--voicing, among others, Professor Ludwig Von Drake. He also was the voice of Boris Badinoff from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

If you look at the changing portrait in the foyer, the frame has hidden mickeys that surround it. Also, in the foyer, the fireplace metal guard looks like a demon with its mouth open.

If you look at the dancers in the ballroom scene, the ladies appear to be leading the gentlemen. This is a result of the effect used to make them appear and disappear...the "Pepper's Ghost" effect.

The organ in the ballroom scene at Disneyland is the organ used in the filming of Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

The face of Madame Leota is actually the face of an imagineer, Leota Toombs Thomas. That is where she gets her name. They asked her to read the script to record her face. When they actually ran her face to do the effect, it looked great, so they kept it. However, the voice of Leota is not Mrs. Thomas. Leota's voice is actually performed by voice actress Eleanor Audley who also voiced Lady Tremaine in Cinderella.

Mrs. Thomas' voice is used at the end of the Haunted Mansion (as well as her face) just before you exit. Little Leota (the small bride) who asks you to "hurry back" is her voice.

The tombstones you see as you enter the mansion are named for imagineers who worked on designing and creating the Haunted Mansion.

Can't wait until I get to ride the mansion again!

-Johnny

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom