Haunted Mansion

Phroobar

Five Nights at Freddy's made more money in it's opening weekend than Haunted Mansion did it's entire theatrical run. The movie was also released in Peacock for free.
Screenshot 2023-10-31 110424.png

TP2000

The big take away for me is very few people have Peacock

Apparently only 25 Million American households have Peacock. That's not a small number, but to your valid point, it's clearly still a minority of Americans.

The big take away thus seems to remain, Five Nights At Freddy's sold more tickets globally in its first 3 days than Haunted Mansion sold in the past 3 months.

Phroobar

Universal was giving away six months free of Peacock with visit to Universal Studios and/or HHN. I like it a lot better than Disney+ because of the classic Monsters and Universal movies and old NBC tv shows. The Cosby show is kinda creepy.

DKampy

The big takeaway is big IP that feels fresh.
Not saying people were not interested.. people did go see it… but it is also a result of a lot less people have the paid version of Peacock than most other subscription services… remember how every movie apart of HBO Max’s day and date failed… The Suicide Squad deserved better… so yes people were interested… also not as many people have Peacock

DKampy

Apparently only 25 Million American households have Peacock. That's not a small number, but to your valid point, it's clearly still a minority of Americans.

The big take away thus seems to remain, Five Nights At Freddy's sold more tickets globally in its first 3 days than Haunted Mansion sold in the past 3 months.
Not denying Freddy’s success… in fact I am happy for it as someone who loves the theatrical experience and was worried about movie theaters continue existence during the pandemic (not anymore). I do think Freddy could have done even better if it went to theaters only

Haunted Mansion was also released late July and by the time Halloween season rolled around people figured it would be on Disney Plus soon… Do I think it would of been a success… No… as it is not a good movie, but neither is Freddy’s I Thought… and apparently most Disney fans disagree with me so what do I know… I do think Disney left some money on the table by not releasing during the Fall season

Basil of Baker Street

No one has been asking for a Haunted Mansion movie but a lot of people have been waiting for a real Five Nights at Freddy's movie. Universal marketed it better.
This was always my take as well. Who was asking for another HM movie? Now we have 2 bad HM movies. Will be the same story with Tower of Terror assuming it's still green lit when we come out of the strikes.

Hawkeye_2018

This was always my take as well. Who was asking for another HM movie? Now we have 2 bad HM movies. Will be the same story with Tower of Terror assuming it's still green lit when we come out of the strikes.
I think there could be potential with Tower of Terror. It really depends on if they are just doing something to be basically a commercial for the ride or if they don't play it safe and do something unique

TP2000

Not denying Freddy’s success… in fact I am happy for it as someone who loves the theatrical experience and was worried about movie theaters continue existence during the pandemic (not anymore). I do think Freddy could have done even better if it went to theaters only

Haunted Mansion was also released late July and by the time Halloween season rolled around people figured it would be on Disney Plus soon… Do I think it would of been a success… No… as it is not a good movie, but neither is Freddy’s I Thought… and apparently most Disney fans disagree with me so what do I know… I do think Disney left some money on the table by not releasing during the Fall season

I don't disagree with any of that. Disney made some odd decisions all around for Haunted Mansion, and it flopped.

The problem is that Haunted Mansion wasn't just a one-off flop in a string of successes. It was instead Disney's sixth flop in a row in a 2023 string of what is now nine flops and counting. (Next up to try to break that flop chain, The Marvels...)

As for Freddy's, which many of us had never heard of until a week ago, I can't imagine it will have staying power at the box office. It's now November 1st, Halloween is over, and we're heading quickly into a slate of mega-budget family films to take us through Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would imagine Freddy's has a very steep drop off at the box office from here and is likely gone from theaters three weeks from now. A flash in the pan, if you will.

And yet, Freddy's doesn't need to have legs at the box office. With its $25 Million budget and modest marketing it broke even after its second day and has already made a tidy profit after just five days; Freddy's is now at $22 Million profit and counting, and Haunted Mansion was a $167 Million loss.

Freddy Vs. Gracey.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom