Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

mickEblu

Original Poster
I enjoyed RotR, but it lacked the 'oomph' to push it into classic territory in my opinion. It's ambitious and large- but lacks the soul of the greats.

Agreed. Part of it I think is the aesthetic. I just don’t think “Star Destroyer” can sit up there with Haunted House, Mysterious caverns, Lush Jungles etc. The other part is as you say it lacks that soul or that glue that makes it a complete and timeless experience.

CaptinEO

Among the Disney Stan and social media community I also believe Mary Blair is recently being seen/rediscovered (deservedly) as trendsetter in her own right, in some cases exceeding even Marc Davis and John Hench.

In a 280-character limit world where there have to be “good” and “bad” forces she’s seen as being good in the mind of most. Blair’s work is a “good” nostalgia as opposed to a taboo one.

Plus IASW is an incredibly popular ride with young children and families and its status as a “Walt original” will help keep it around. The addition of the characters as well as merch sales from dolls to stylized clothing and accessories which will keep it around. And the holiday layover and character infusions are proof that investments continue to be made in the ride itself.
Yet more people would care about Moana then Mary Blair and would hype it up as being "awesome". Most people don't even know who Mary Blair is.

People are all into brands and franchises now, it's a Disney executives dream.

CaptinEO

I'd make the claim that the second generation of Imagineering came close with Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones Adventure- both experiences that are different enough from Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean to warrant their place among the best attractions done.

I mean, before SWGE was built the west half of Disneyland was a masterclass in themed design with the Tiki Room (noteworthy for it's contributions to animatronics), Jungle Cruise (noteworthy because it paved the way for truly immersive experiences), Indiana Jones Adventure (revolutionized queue design, the use of IP in attractions, Pirates and Mansion, Splash Mountain (the best take of a traditional flume ever with some of the best sound design an attraction has had). Not to mention Fantasmic- considered by many to be the best night show Disney's done, and it revolutionized show design.

So when modern Imagineering changes Pirates, Mansion, Tiki, Jungle, Splash, Indy- they're making changes to the best Disney's done, and that's a dangerous game.

Tiki Room was shortened, but I don't think anyone is really bothered by that except for a few purists. It certainly doesn't get much talk on here.
Jungle Cruise's changes have yet to be seen. There's a beautiful simplicity in the Jungle Cruise's current iteration, and I hope that isn't lost in the attempt to add unnecessary story to the attraction.
Pirate's changes are largely negative- the only positive change since 1997 was bringing back the original cave dialogue. At least the first half of the attraction remains mostly pure.

Mansion's changes this time around don't seem to egregious (though I wonder if they found a way to screw something up, they just haven't shown us yet). The loading area was the weakest part of the attraction, so I hope that this new divider and the extension of the portrait Hallway allow the lighting to be better controlled and the guests to be better engaged. I hope that they put some work into the attic as well, since Constance and the half assed backstory they gave her to shoehorn her into the ride have received a universal groan from Mansion fans and desperately needs to be overhauled.
Honestly they should make Jungle Cruise into a serious attraction. Why it's a comedy show is beyond me, it's insulting to the original ride and those that designed it.

PiratesMansion

It's worth pointing out that while Phantom Manor isn't perfect, it was designed by the same generation of Imagineers that put out Splash, Tower of Terror, and Indy. It was clearly put together by talented people who had ambitions to make a masterpiece. So I don't know that it 100% deserves to be summarily dismissed as some have here. It just happens to not match up to one of the best rides ever created, at least for me. But hey, they tried.
Honestly they should make Jungle Cruise into a serious attraction. Why it's a comedy show is beyond me, it's insulting to the original ride and those that designed it.
The original ride wasn't around that long. It was only its original serious incarnation for about seven years. If it hadn't transitioned focus I'm not convinced it would still be around.

CaptinEO

It's worth pointing out that while Phantom Manor isn't perfect, it was designed by the same generation of Imagineers that put out Splash, Tower of Terror, and Indy. It was clearly put together by talented people who had ambitions to make a masterpiece. So I don't know that it 100% deserves to be summarily dismissed as some have here. It just happens to not match up to one of the best rides ever created, at least for me. But hey, they tried.

The original ride wasn't around that long. It was only its original serious incarnation for about seven years. If it hadn't transitioned focus I'm not convinced it would still be around.
I mean they could have kept the ride updated as time went on.

You could've also let Tiki Room and Pirates Rot and turn those into jokes but they redid the animatronics on those many times over the years to keep them modern.

DavidDL

One thing I do appreciate about our Mansion here in DL and Phantom Manor over in Paris is the ability to walk in the front door to begin the attraction. Something about that is just so much better to me than entering through some auxiliary crypt 'round the side of the house.

PiratesMansion

I mean they could have kept the ride updated as time went on.

You could've also let Tiki Room and Pirates Rot and turn those into jokes but they redid the animatronics on those many times over the years to keep them modern.
When have they redone the Tiki Room animatronics? So far as I know that's only happened when they've outright moved to other shows in the venue, as in Florida and Tokyo. Really the only thing they did to Disneyland's was remove the Offenbach number. And pre-Johnny Depp I'm not sure that Pirates was updated that much, and they didn't need to-Pirates is unimpeachable in a way that Jungle Cruise is not. Redoing Jungle Cruise into a comedic bent was a way to keep it relevant as it had to compete with newer, more elaborate E-tickets.

And even when they changed the direction of the script it wasn't stagnant. It got several updates in the 1970's too and in the 90s when they redid the river. There just haven't been many JC updates outside of Tokyo since then.

CaptinEO

When have they redone the Tiki Room animatronics? So far as I know that's only happened when they've outright moved to other shows in the venue, as in Florida and Tokyo. Really the only thing they did to Disneyland's was remove the Offenbach number. And pre-Johnny Depp I'm not sure that Pirates was updated that much, and they didn't need to-Pirates is unimpeachable in a way that Jungle Cruise is not. Redoing Jungle Cruise into a comedic bent was a way to keep it relevant as it had to compete with newer, more elaborate E-tickets.

And even when they changed the direction of the script it wasn't stagnant. It got several updates in the 1970's too and in the 90s when they redid the river. There just haven't been many JC updates outside of Tokyo since then.
Tiki Room got entirely new animatronics, lighting, and sound for the 50th Anniversary. Pirates does not use the same figures as the 60s.

Californian Elitist

I'm almost 100% certain some of those who have dismissed it in this thread haven't actually ridden it. I'd pay it no mind.

Sharon&Susan

I think the change in tone had more with the introduction of the pole gag (originally meant for the DLR) and changing everything else to match it than anything having to do with animatronic technology.

After all it's not like the Fantasyland dark rides were a long walk away from the JC.

George Lucas on a Bench

See, I don't agree with that. The original is just perfect. There's a reason it's so beloved. You're not going to find the majority of Disney fans preferring Phantom Manor to the original HM. It's a weird reinterpretation for the Eurozone with no Paul Frees narration, classic soundtrack, hitchhiking ghosts etc. I hate to admit it, but the addition of the Christmas version for 6 months out of the year at DL will also factor in to guest preference.

It's fine to prefer PM, but you're obviously in the minority and to say it's better is just so...hipsterish.

PiratesMansion

Tiki Room got entirely new animatronics, lighting, and sound for the 50th Anniversary. Pirates does not use the same figures as the 60s.
Ok, fair enough.

But how do we know that Jungle Cruise never got the same treatment? It would stand to reason that while they had the river closed to put in the piranhas that they likely did some work with the AAs there too. The river's certainly been updated and closed a number of times over the years. Who are we to say which figures have or have not been updated over time?

CaptinEO

Ok, fair enough.

But how do we know that Jungle Cruise never got the same treatment? It would stand to reason that while they had the river closed to put in the piranhas that they likely did some work with the AAs there too. The river's certainly been updated and closed a number of times over the years. Who are we to say which figures have or have not been updated over time?
They may have been, and obviously due to maintenance things get replaced piece by piece over time.

TP2000

One thing I do appreciate about our Mansion here in DL and Phantom Manor over in Paris is the ability to walk in the front door to begin the attraction. Something about that is just so much better to me than entering through some auxiliary crypt 'round the side of the house.

That was definitely a bad design choice for WDW, and then Tokyo. Tokyo does a slightly better job with it because they have this winding queue through gardens in front of the house where you get to look at it and register the mansion as part of the show.

I fully understand that this design was forced on them by high water tables in both locations, but still. It's bad.

At WDW, you just go through a covered walkway that obscures nearly everything and scuttle in the servants entrance on the side. Couple that with the fact that too often the lazy operating standards of WDW allows them to not even run the expanding room scene and instead just shuffle the queue through that room and on into the loading belt is... disastrous.

I mean, my God, they didn't even extend the stretch room all the way up to reveal the full sight gags on each portrait! :banghead:

Haunted-Mansion_Full_38243.jpg

I'll be really interested to see how they operate Disneyland's Haunted Mansion with the Covid requirements. They have to use the elevators and operate the attraction as it's 1960's designers intended, there's no other choice. A lazy Dockers clad manager can't just say "screw it" and open the ride without the stretching rooms in Anaheim like they can in Orlando.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

That was definitely a bad design choice for WDW, and then Tokyo. Tokyo does a slightly better job with it because they have this winding queue through gardens in front of the house where you get to look at it and register the mansion as part of the show.

I fully understand that this design was forced on them by high water tables in both locations, but still. It's bad.

At WDW, you just go through a covered walkway that obscures nearly everything and scuttle in the servants entrance on the side. Couple that with the fact that too often the lazy operating standards of WDW allows them to not even run the expanding room scene and instead just shuffle the queue through that room and on into the loading belt is... disastrous.

I mean, my God, they didn't even extend the stretch room all the way up to reveal the full sight gags on each portrait! :banghead:

Haunted-Mansion_Full_38243.jpg

I'll be really interested to see how they operate Disneyland's Haunted Mansion with the Covid requirements. They have to use the elevators and operate the attraction as it's 1960's designers intended, there's no other choice. A lazy Dockers clad manager can't just say "screw it" and open the ride without the stretching rooms in Anaheim like they can in Orlando.

Wait, did they ever skip the Stretching Room pre-covid at Magic Kingdom? I have never experienced that during any of my visits.

Right now it is skipped due to capacity limits. Running the stretching room with the small amount of people that would be allowed inside would be disastrous for capacity... The queue already stretches incredibly far into liberty square/frontierland with social distancing measures in place.

Some theorize they will somehow skip the stretching room at Disneyland, we will find out upon reopening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom