Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

TP2000

Given how long both this ride and the park have been closed, I'm hoping they skip the Holiday overlay this year.

I would hope that by this Christmas they can let non-Californians into the park and capacity restrictions are gone entirely. In short, things are back to normal.

Haunted Mansion Holiday is a big part of their Christmas marketing package, so I can't imagine they'd give that up just because they need a 2 week refurbishment in the very slow weeks of early September.

But then, the entire world is topsy-turvy now, so who knows what their post-Covid strategy might be! o_O

PiratesMansion

Well, DL's Mansion needed a refurb, and there was a lot of good done in the 2007 WDW refurb that never quite made it over to DL, so perhaps some of those changes are being brought over?

Maybe?

But I hope this doesn't mean that I'll have to go to Tokyo to see the classic hitchiking ghosts. Not that it's confirmed, but I'm wary. I'd rather not have "NEW MAGIC"; I'd much prefer "We're PRESERVING the magic," at least in this case.

I'd love for them to have banished Constance, but I know better.

DrAlice

PiratesMansion

What makes you say that? Was this a rumor that I missed somewhere?

"New Magic" could just be silly marketing for "Hey look, we painted the railing! It's neewwwww! Please come to the park. We need cash."
Frankly it could be either.

But as much as the CGI Hitchhiking Ghosts are dated now, I wouldn't put it past Disney to mildly touch them up and plop them down into DL. It's probably the easiest "enhancement" to conceive of, simply because it's already been done.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well, DL's Mansion needed a refurb, and there was a lot of good done in the 2007 WDW refurb that never quite made it over to DL, so perhaps some of those changes are being brought over?

Maybe?

But I hope this doesn't mean that I'll have to go to Tokyo to see the classic hitchiking ghosts. Not that it's confirmed, but I'm wary. I'd rather not have "NEW MAGIC"; I'd much prefer "We're PRESERVING the magic," at least in this case.

I'd love for them to have banished Constance, but I know better.

I’ll take some lighting upgrades, tasteful projections, better sound, maybe the sound effects in the stretching room (people seem to have positive things to say about the sound effects in WDWs stretching room) a new (old) Constance and the removal of her dumb audio.

For the love of God no interactive cheesy queue or those silly CGI hitchhiking ghosts.

PiratesMansion

Is that ADA accessible?

When we've gone with my mom in a chair, we always went through the elevator. The weird thing is you have to go through the stretching room when you enter AND when you leave. It feels so wrong. lol.
I'm pretty sure they'll run the stretching room in California. To my understanding they were doing that in Paris when DLP was still open. I'm not sure they really have any other option, especially when ADA is taken into account.

mickEblu

Original Poster
What makes you say that? Was this a rumor that I missed somewhere?

"New Magic" could just be silly marketing for "Hey look, we painted the railing! It's neewwwww! Please come to the park. We need cash."

Hope you re right. If I were to bet, I’d say they re not doing that but I wouldn’t be shocked if they decided to touch something that didn’t need “magic.”

PiratesMansion

"Classic and favorite attractions will begin to open at both parks—from epic experiences like the new Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance to family-friendly experiences like Peter Pan’s Flight and Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind—plus new magic is coming to Haunted Mansion."

Seriously, this ride keeps being name-dropped at the most random and bizarre opportunities. Maybe it really is Bob Chapek's favorite ride.

mickEblu

Original Poster
"Classic and favorite attractions will begin to open at both parks—from epic experiences like the new Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance to family-friendly experiences like Peter Pan’s Flight and Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind—plus new magic is coming to Haunted Mansion."

Seriously, this ride keeps being name-dropped at the most random and bizarre opportunities. Maybe it really is Bob Chapek's favorite ride.

“New magic” sounds like something substantial -ish. At least one “big” thing in addition to maybe lighting, projections and sound stuff.

😳

DrAlice

Goodbye classic hitchhiking ghosts. ☹️

Frankly it could be either.

But as much as the CGI Hitchhiking Ghosts are dated now, I wouldn't put it past Disney to mildly touch them up and plop them down into DL. It's probably the easiest "enhancement" to conceive of, simply because it's already been done.

Ok.... My bad... I was super confused by the last comment, so I googled, and then realized that CGI is what happened at WDW. (Sorry, it's been YEARS since I've been there.)

So, let me get this straight: They "fixed" the pepper's ghost effect of a hitchhiking ghost at WDW by converting it to just some image that sort-of follows along the car with you but isn't in your lap? Did I see that right? That's just... ugh....

I hope you're wrong @mickEblu. Please please please be wrong.

Kyle’s Dad Sent Me

I feel like it’s in the style book for Disney press releases to do that with whatever *new* attraction opened last, no matter how minor/if it’s a re-skin. They did it a lot with Jessie’s Carousel too.

PiratesMansion

Ok.... My bad... I was super confused by the last comment, so I googled, and then realized that CGI is what happened at WDW. (Sorry, it's been YEARS since I've been there.)

So, let me get this straight: They "fixed" the pepper's ghost effect of a hitchhiking ghost at WDW by converting it to just some image that sort-of follows along the car with you but isn't in your lap? Did I see that right? That's just... ugh....

I hope you're wrong @mickEblu. Please please please be wrong.
Basically. It's "interactive" and may, say, switch your face with someone else's, among other "wacky" options. It's a little too jarringly modern for the rest of the ride and the actions too silly and cartoonish to work not detract from what came before it.

A bit like seguing abruptly from Bambi to a Looney Tunes short.

Homemade Imagineering

Is that ADA accessible?

When we've gone with my mom in a chair, we always went through the elevator. The weird thing is you have to go through the stretching room when you enter AND when you leave. It feels so wrong. lol.
Exactly, that’s why I’m not too sure whether it would be efficient, especially considering how narrow the hallways are in the Chicken Exit. Social distancing markers in the stretching room seem to make more sense, so I’m sure that’s what they’ll go with.

Sharon&Susan

It's about a month away from opening and it received a brief mention in a parks blog with no elaboration on what it is. I really doubt that it's anything big, I'm imagining something like a new sound system in the Stretching Room or the existing projectors all being replaced, something minor that 95% of riders won't notice but looks good on a Press Release.

PiratesMansion

It's about a month away from opening and it received a brief mention in a parks blog with no elaboration on what it is. I really doubt that it's anything big, I'm imagining something like a new sound system in the Stretching Room or the existing projectors all being replaced, something minor that 95% of riders won't notice but looks good on a Press Release.
I would be 100% in favor of them bringing over the WDW stretching room soundscape. I remember hearing that it wasn't possible to do that at DL, but I'd love to be proven wrong!

mickEblu

Original Poster
They daren't... right?

Am I correct in believing that at Disneyland they have physical animatronics behind one-way glass, and at WDW's it's just... what, projected onto the mirror? How does WDW's work?

Disneyland has physical animatronics that are on the other side of the glass going the exact same speed as our doom buggy’s on a loop. I believe the ones at WDW are just CGI. And they are cartoony and are not simpatico with the rest of the attraction

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom