News Haunted Mansion To Remain Closed For Unknown Reasons

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes. But we're talking current management here. I'm sure the suits have made the "keeping machinists on staff is more expensive than hiring someone to cut and weld"...

If it was being done in-house, I'd expect this thing to be fixed already...we're talking a headliner attraction in the No.1 theme park in the world.
True. The current management does seem to be penny wise and dollar foolish, but a good central shop is something that can show it's worth on a spreadsheet so it might get a pass.

Without knowing exactly what is wrong it is hard to say how long it should take to fix. Since it has been a few days, my first reaction would be that this is more than a simple, single part failure. Either that or they had a rufurb somewhere close on the calendar and used this problem as a reason to move the dates.

peter11435

Yes. But we're talking current management here. I'm sure the suits have made the "keeping machinists on staff is more expensive than hiring someone to cut and weld"...

If it was being done in-house, I'd expect this thing to be fixed already...we're talking a headliner attraction in the No.1 theme park in the world.
Disney still maintains manufacturing abilities and has machinist, welders, and more on staff.

Even being done in house It still takes time to produce parts and then install.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Given the size of WDW and the number of unique parts they would need at any given time, having onsite fabrication abilities would probably be more cost-effective then subbing it out.

My experience might be unique, but most fabrication shops have had had to deal with are not in a hurry to do anything unless you are paying 4 times the normal price to have it expedited.

Agree with this. With no personal knowledge of the exact situation or their service department, I'd say that they have to have staff employed to fix these types of issues. Suppose a section of rail that turns each ride vehicle snaps, I'm guessing it would take at least a little bit of time to assess all the parts that need to be repaired, research the part(s) that need replacing for dimensions connection points, etc., fabricate, install, etc.

These are just my assumptions of what they go through when something like this happens, but given that safety is critical, I'm 100% certain that they have a separate HSE director or inspector who needs to inspect and sign off on the repair. That all takes time. I'd be totally bummed if I was there and the ride was down, but I understand the need to ensure safety.

Edit: not to mention that those people are probably currently over at Jungle Cruise plugging a hole in a boat.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do you know how long it takes to fix? Do you even know what all needs fixed?

I didn’t think so.
All I know is there was a time when this would have been a high priority... just doesn't seem that way to me now. Maybe they can just install a strobe light at the front door and give out FP+s to line up to look at that...

As for what happened, based on what I've read, I'd look at the rotation control rail (#33 on the illustration) being either broken or bent. 50+ years of nearly continuous running will do that to ya. But I'm not an engineer, ride mechanic, or CM, so that's just a guess on my part.
rail.jpg

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, that's just awful engineering. You shouldn't have to pull the engine to get to the oil filter.
I would agree, but without knowing why it is designed like that is no different than saying the HM should have been fixed by now without knowing what the actual problem is.

As an engineer myself, I don't design something to be deliberately hard to do. It is often the way things end up due to a myriad of other things.

Smiley/OCD

Agree with this. With no personal knowledge of the exact situation or their service department, I'd say that they have to have staff employed to fix these types of issues. Suppose a section of rail that turns each ride vehicle snaps, I'm guessing it would take at least a little bit of time to assess all the parts that need to be repaired, research the part(s) that need replacing for dimensions connection points, etc., fabricate, install, etc.

These are just my assumptions of what they go through when something like this happens, but given that safety is critical, I'm 100% certain that they have a separate HSE director or inspector who needs to inspect and sign off on the repair. That all takes time. I'd be totally bummed if I was there and the ride was down, but I understand the need to ensure safety.

Edit: not to mention that those people are probably currently over at Jungle Cruise plugging a hole in a boat.
They could've just brought Phil Swift in with a couple rolls of Flex Tape...problem solved

Pepper's Ghost

I would agree, but without knowing why it is designed like that is no different than saying the HM should have been fixed by now without knowing what the actual problem is.

As an engineer myself, I don't design something to be deliberately hard to do. It is often the way things end up due to a myriad of other things.

Agree on all points. I'm not an engineer, but play one on this thread. I work very closely with engineers in an FM environment. The rest is all me just "common-sensing", and pretending I know what I'm talking about. I know a little, enough to be dangerous of course.

peter11435

All I know is there was a time when this would have been a high priority... just doesn't seem that way to me now. Maybe they can just install a strobe light at the front door and give out FP+s to line up to look at that...

As for what happened, based on what I've read, I'd look at the rotation control rail (#33 on the illustration) being either broken or bent. 50+ years of nearly continuous running will do that to ya. But I'm not an engineer, ride mechanic, or CM, so that's just a guess on my part.

View attachment 454075
It is a high priority. Which is why they have been working on it around the clock since it happened.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It is a high priority. Which is why they have been working on it around the clock since it happened.
Well, I'm gonna walk back my statement about how long this might take, depending on how much of that rail broke off (assuming that's what happened). That's a real mess in tight spaces and I wouldn't want to be the one scraping my knuckles under there. And this likely involves removing a good number of cars to get to it.

JohnD

Well, I'm gonna walk back my statement about how long this might take, depending on how much of that rail broke off (assuming that's what happened). That's a real mess in tight spaces and I wouldn't want to be the one scraping my knuckles under there. And this likely involves removing a good number of cars to get to it.

Could be an extensive repair. Then there's the testing to be done. I hope to ride by the end of this month but, frankly, I'm not optimistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom