News Haunted Mansion To Remain Closed For Unknown Reasons

Pepper's Ghost

Wow, I'm glad we got to ride it once a few days before it closed down. We went back yesterday, the 3rd, and it was closed down. It's one of our favorites and I hope they get it fixed up soon.

You lucked out! I was thinking to myself that if I had planned a trip and the HM was closed during the trip, I'd be devastated. I know that's an extreme opinion, but there are a few things I have to go on numerous times during my visit and HM is at the top of the list. Luckily (kind of) I don't have any trips planned for the future. I always fear some of my favorites will be closed during a trip though.

I mean, they already ruined Soaring, Test Track, and Spaceship Earth is closed. Those ride changes/refurbs deter me from wanting to visit any time soon. Not sure when I'll get over it and plan another one. Maybe later this year.

Dave B

You lucked out! I was thinking to myself that if I had planned a trip and the HM was closed during the trip, I'd be devastated. I know that's an extreme opinion, but there are a few things I have to go on numerous times during my visit and HM is at the top of the list. Luckily (kind of) I don't have any trips planned for the future. I always fear some of my favorites will be closed during a trip though.

I mean, they already ruined Soaring, Test Track, and Spaceship Earth is closed. Those ride changes/refurbs deter me from wanting to visit any time soon. Not sure when I'll get over it and plan another one. Maybe later this year.
What changed on Test Track?

Phineas

Hey Phineas... I thought I was the only one. I despise Constance Hatchaway and her manly face. I hate when they unnecessarily change things that were perfect the way they were. God forbid they change the ballroom to have projected ghosts instead of the classy and timeless Pepper's Ghost effect which obviously I'm very fond of. :)
Oh my, I could present an hour long thesis on my hatred of Constance: how she replaced a mournful/menacing bride with unclear motives to a cackling, ham fisted, pun spewing, not-open-for-debate murderess. How the effect is a projection on a styrofoam wig model head one could purchase at their local beauty supply shop...

If it were up to me, I’d bring back beating heart, the original rod puppet mirror ghosts, and make the interactive queue either wind up at the nearest landfill or be placed at the exit for children as an optional experience. And I’d finally let Hattie make his debut.

GusEzra

This bums me out I leave for WdW on friday and HM is my all time favorite ride, it being down when I am there will be Heartbreaking. I love that ride soo much that when walking around the parks my wife will avoid that area at all cost cause she knows if we head in that direction we are riding it.

Pepper's Ghost

Oh my, I could present an hour long thesis on my hatred of Constance: how she replaced a mournful/menacing bride with unclear motives to a cackling, ham fisted, pun spewing, not-open-for-debate murderess. How the effect is a projection on a styrofoam wig model head one could purchase at their local beauty supply shop...

If it were up to me, I’d bring back beating heart, the original rod puppet mirror ghosts, and make the interactive queue either wind up at the nearest landfill or be placed at the exit for children as an optional experience. And I’d finally let Hattie make his debut.

Yes, yes, and YES! I agree on all points including the reflective mirror ghosts instead of the projections, and the ride queue. Couldn't be more in sync!

Phineas

Yes, yes, and YES! I agree on all points including the reflective mirror ghosts instead of the projections, and the ride queue. Couldn't be more in sync!
The CG ghosts are just plain embarrassing. My brain knows there’s fakery happening and makes the ride end with a thunk (Little Leota of course does her best to make up for it, but). The rod puppets are physical props, like 99% of the ghosts that proceed them and are infinitely more believable. The mirror scene is made even worse by the stellar ghost figures that we pass by right before. And whomever decided that Ezra in the mirror looked good enough needs to have their eyes examined.

celluloid

The CG ghosts are just plain embarrassing. My brain knows there’s fakery happening and makes the ride end with a thunk (Little Leota of course does her best to make up for it, but). The rod puppets are physical props, like 99% of the ghosts that proceed them and are infinitely more believable. The mirror scene is made even worse by the stellar ghost figures that we pass by right before. And whomever decided that Ezra in the mirror looked good enough needs to have their eyes examined.

Yeah, even my four year old knows of that kind of technology of augmented reality on cell phone screens these days, but even when we all know a pepper''s ghost effect and how it works, we can not replicate it of that quality or build it to that scale or execution easily. Change them back to what worked.

180º

MaximumEd

I'm guessing that there is a part availability issue. Anyone got any further info?

My grandfather was a master machinist at a large steel mill back in the day. His department existed for several reasons. One, you couldn’t just order an obscure part and have it there quickly. Two, and most importantly, he understood all the quirks of the equipment in the mill and even if parts could have been ordered, he could make complex ones by hand faster, and of better quality and compatibility. Shame central shops can’t do the same and have the attraction up and running good as new in short order. Maybe they could. I don’t know the inner workings of maintenance at WDW.

peter11435

My grandfather was a master machinist at a large steel mill back in the day. His department existed for several reasons. One, you couldn’t just order an obscure part and have it there quickly. Two, and most importantly, he understood all the quirks of the equipment in the mill and even if parts could have been ordered, he could make complex ones by hand faster, and of better quality and compatibility. Shame central shops can’t do the same and have the attraction up and running good as new in short order. Maybe they could. I don’t know the inner workings of maintenance at WDW.
Central shops absolutely has the ability to do that. And they will. They can manufacture almost anything. However it’s not always just one part and those parts take time to install.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Central shops absolutely has the ability to do that. And they will. They can manufacture almost anything. However it’s not always just one part and those parts take time to install.
I'm surprised they wouldn't just sub this out like they do just about everything else these days.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm surprised they wouldn't just sub this out like they do just about everything else these days.
Given the size of WDW and the number of unique parts they would need at any given time, having onsite fabrication abilities would probably be more cost-effective then subbing it out.

My experience might be unique, but most fabrication shops have had had to deal with are not in a hurry to do anything unless you are paying 4 times the normal price to have it expedited.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Given the size of WDW and the number of unique parts they would need at any given time, having onsite fabrication abilities would probably be more cost-effective then subbing it out.

My experience might be unique, but most fabrication shops have had had to deal with are not in a hurry to do anything unless you are paying 4 times the normal price to have it expedited.
Yes. But we're talking current management here. I'm sure the suits have made the "keeping machinists on staff is more expensive than hiring someone to cut and weld"...

If it was being done in-house, I'd expect this thing to be fixed already...we're talking a headliner attraction in the No.1 theme park in the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom