Haunted Mansion Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasure fan1

Eh, I think you're wrong about this one. The narration clearly indicates that the ghost host is inviting you, the visitor, to join the 999 happy haunts by killing yourself. It's not about how he died, it's him inviting you to die in the same way. I don't think there's much room for interpretation there, it's pretty clear.
I see what you are saying but again I think it's up to interpretation. He says "there's always my way" and hes trying to scare you. Hence the I didn't mean to frighten you prematurely bit that comes after. Is he telling you that killing yourself is the only way out? Could be. But the hanging body could be anything, murder, suicide... Heck it could be someone who died that the ghosts strung up to scare the guests to get that last haunt. Thats the beauty of it, no one is wrong because there is no diffinitive answer. So as Obi-Wan would say, we are all right, from a certain point of view.

disneygeek90

The irony is that they made many more people feel uncomfortable by changing it. The fact that they replaced it with an inferior and unfunny scene makes it even worse. Everybody loses.
I never found the scene to be funny in the first place. Selling women was supposed to be funny? Yikes.

crxbrett

I see what you are saying but again I think it's up to interpretation. He says "there's always my way" and hes trying to scare you. Hence the I didn't mean to frighten you prematurely bit that comes after. Is he telling you that killing yourself is the only way out? Could be. But the hanging body could be anything, murder, suicide... Heck it could be someone who died that the ghosts strung up to scare the guests to get that last haunt. Thats the beauty of it, no one is wrong because there is no diffinitive answer. So as Obi-Wan would say, we are all right, from a certain point of view.

Yeah, the Ghost Host doesn't say, "Of course, this is the only way out." I always thought he is suggesting to the audience they could always choose to go about it the way he did and then shows you. And yes, it's never actually clear if he hung himself or if he was hung up there by someone else. But then the Phantom Manor version that Cmdr_Crimson shared with us clearly shows he was hung execution-style and not by suicide.

Question is, did Disney add that effect in Paris to make it more clear to the audience he indeed was murdered/executed? Or was it something they added to make Phantom Manor unique or different to the other version's stories?

graphite1326

I'll bet that I went to HM 4 or 5 times before I even knew to look up. I doubt that kids would instinctively look at the ceiling, if scared they will look up but for the protection from a parent, not to see something they weren't expecting to be there. And if they do, one doesn't have to be a psychologist to be able to know that a simple... it's just a scary show, it isn't real goes a long way to calm anyone. I don't even call it politically correct, it is a play, it isn't real, it is to create a mood. We have become a nation of people that are scared of everything. One would think that with all the violence in the world today, like every other bad thing that has been happening lately, it would just be life (or death) as usual.
Someone had to tell me what that was. I looked up but didn't know what I was looking at. My kids had no idea either. As for the back story, (after I figured this scene out) I always thought he took his life because he lost his love. I don't know why I thought that.

Hcalvert

Only for people too dense to actually understand the auction scene. The redhead was not a victim in that scene. It's very clear. The Redhead was a prostitute and/or lady of loose morals and she was teasing the pirates because she was into that kind of thing. Same with Tiny, the fat wench. She liked the attention.

Still degrading to women. Going along with your rationale, you are insinuating that the scene was all right since they wanted the attention. Some pedophiles/rapists say the the same thing about their victims too. Regardless, some people thought the scene was not appropriate for a "family" ride. Thanks for your mansplaining as it helped me understand a lot about what kind of person you are.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Someone had to tell me what that was. I looked up but didn't know what I was looking at. My kids had no idea either. As for the back story, (after I figured this scene out) I always thought he took his life because he lost his love. I don't know why I thought that.
Probably because the rest of the story seemed to point toward that. That is what I thought as well. Doesn't really matter, like I said, it was just to set a mood anyway. However, the over-sensitives will not be happy until everything is rainbows and unicorns. If they redid "Gone With The Wind" now, they would have to leave out the Civil War and say the Rett went off to a sales convention in Atlanta. And the always remembered statement will be "Frankly, my dear, I find that my level of interest in you has declined". Can't even imagine how D-Day would be depicted. Probably titled "Beach Blanket Bang Bang".

CaptainAmerica

Still degrading to women. Going along with your rationale, you are insinuating that the scene was all right since they wanted the attention. Some pedophiles/rapists say the the same thing about their victims too. Either way, the scene was not appropriate for a "family" ride. Thanks for your mansplaining as it helped me understand a lot about what kind of person you are.
People like you are how we got Trump. So thanks for that.

DisneyDoctor

Still degrading to women. Going along with your rationale, you are insinuating that the scene was all right since they wanted the attention. Some pedophiles/rapists say the the same thing about their victims too. Regardless, some people thought the scene was not appropriate for a "family" ride. Thanks for your mansplaining as it helped me understand a lot about what kind of person you are.
Your post has helped me understand what kind of person you are. And I really dislike your kind. Save your social justice warrior talk for your political forums.

As mentioned above, you irrational democrats ruined it for the rest of us. A little common sense goes a long way.

Hcalvert

People like you are how we got Trump. So thanks for that.

I don't know why you are getting political and even more condescending. I never shared my personal opinion regarding the redhead scene being changed. I only conjectured the reason why. However, continue to make assumptions about me and my political beliefs as this proves my point about mansplaining. What's next? Are you going to call me a feminist too?

Last edited:

Hcalvert

Your post has helped me understand what kind of person you are. And I really dislike your kind. Save your social justice warrior talk for your political forums.

As mentioned above, you irrational democrats ruined it for the rest of us. A little common sense goes a long way.

I never shared my personal opinion regarding the redhead scene being changed. I only conjectured the reason why. However, continue to make assumptions about me and my political beliefs as this proves my point about mansplaining. What's next? Are you going to call me a feminist too?

Last edited:

PiXie Mom

No slamming coming from my way. I am a member of several Disney Moms blogs and online groups, and this subject of suicide being depicted in the mansion has been brought up a few times before. I think sometimes people need to step back and take a good look at how some of these images play out in the minds of our children. My daughter is old enough to understand that it is all make believe and fantasy, but what about younger minds who obtain these images without explanation or reasoning as to why someone would do this. Suicide is a real crisis and it does effect small children when played out as simple "entertainment".I have worked with children who suffer from various mental illnesses and seen the toll suicide takes on them when it's someone they knew or loved who decided to call it quits on life.
Imagine now how this would feel to see it played out in a Disney attraction as a dark joke.

You are not wrong for bringing this up. There are those of us as mothers who feel the same way, though sadly are not getting enough support from the other gender as parents on this issue. I love the haunted mansion ride, but the theme of suicide is never a joke or tool to be used for a family based theme park experience.

wdwfan757

I never really noticed this scene as a kid, but everytime I see it now I usually do wonder "should this realllly exist in the magic kingdom?"

I don't really understand why everyone shouts PC as if being PC isn't a normal part of a productive society. I greatly appreciate a rack of ribs and am yet to meet a Muslim who is offended that I'm eating pork. I don't gain anything from the hanging scene and I can definitely see how it would make some people uncomfortable. So, as such, I wouldn't be bothered if they took it out. I'm not advocating that they should, I'm just saying that I could see why they would. Everyone should feel completely comfortable in the magic kingdom. There is just no reason not to. It's not history class and it's not "real life".

No one realllly remembers that Dixie Landings was a thing. 15 years from now, no one will remember the wench. If I can let go of the liberty boys blt and maelstrom, you will survive without a hanging scene at haunted mansion.

CaptainAmerica

I don't know why you are getting political and even more condescending. I never shared my personal opinion regarding the redhead scene being changed. I only conjectured the reason why. However, continue to make assumptions about me and my political beliefs as this proves my point about mansplaining. What's next? Are you going to call me a feminist too?
Anyone who uses the words "mansplaining," "problematic," or "microagression" unironically is not worth having a serious conversation with. Not to mention the fact that you have a gender-neutral username and a gender-neutral avatar so the fact that you're apparently a woman is something that I cannot possibly have known and therefore completely ancillary to the conversation we're having. I think your point was stupid. Not because you're a woman and I'm a man, but because it was stupid.

PiXie Mom

Everyone should feel completely comfortable in the magic kingdom. There is just no reason not to. It's not history class and it's not "real life".
This sums it up very nicely. Disney World is a place to escape the real world and be reminded you can do anything you set your mind to and be what you want if you work hard for it. Those arguing that this hanging scene is nothing more than harmless fun should ask themselves, how would they feel if their young child lost a family member or close friend to the terrible act of suicide, and then saw this scene unfold while at Disney only recently after the harrowing fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom