Haunted Mansion Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

iHeartDisneylandCats

Original Poster
I'm gonna get slammed for this, but I was reading the Katiebug thread and we got discussing an old thread about how the OP thought the Haunted Mansion is too scary for children. Well, there is one scene in particular that kind of bothers me, and that is when we see that The Ghost Host has hung himself. Look, I completely understand that that scene sets the story for the Ghost Host, but isn't there any other way that we could address how he became the Ghost Host? I'm not trying to stir up another redhead auction debate, but there are 44,965 suicides each year according to afsp.org. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues, I don't particularly like this scene, although it doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the ride. In fact, Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite dark rides. My question is this- what do you think should happen to this scene, if anything at all? I know that personally, I would want him to still somehow become the Ghost Host in a way that makes sense and pays homage to the history of the attraction. Discuss.

justintheharris

I'm gonna get slammed for this, but I was reading the Katiebug thread and we got discussing an old thread about how the OP thought the Haunted Mansion is too scary for children. Well, there is one scene in particular that kind of bothers me, and that is when we see that Master Gracey has hung himself. Look, I completely understand that that scene sets the story for the Ghost Host, but isn't there any other way that we could address how he became the Ghost Host? I'm not trying to stir up another redhead auction debate, but there are 44,965 suicides each year according to afsp.org. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues, I don't particularly like this scene, although it doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the ride. In fact, Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite dark rides. My question is this- what do you think should happen to this scene, if anything at all? I know that personally, I would want him to still somehow become the Ghost Host in a way that makes sense and pays homage to the history of the attraction. Discuss.
It should stay... don’t touch it... I want this thread deleted before Disney executives see it tbh

Hcalvert

I own a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. The 2017 edition and they included a review of Pirates of the Caribbean in which a woman states she felt uncomfortable explaining the redhead scene to her child. I can't help but feel like that SINGLE publication caused the removal of the scene.

I think it had more to do with the #MeToo Movement than anything else. Objectifying women was no longer funny or acceptable to many people (even though a lot of us knew that before the movement). And yes the auction scene was somewhat historical, but it doesn't make it right or entertaining.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm gonna get slammed for this, but I was reading the Katiebug thread and we got discussing an old thread about how the OP thought the Haunted Mansion is too scary for children. Well, there is one scene in particular that kind of bothers me, and that is when we see that The Ghost Host has hung himself. I know that personally, I would want him to still somehow become the Ghost Host in a way that makes sense and pays homage to the history of the attraction. Discuss.

With your chain of reasoning they should remove all pork because some cultures shun it moreover people with food issues should as well mandate the removal of every dining and food vendor as it might make them uncomfortable. How about rides that require legs, arms, eyes and or ears in order to experience them? Take them out as well?

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

It's unfortunate that you struggle with mental health issues and if suicide makes you that uncomfortable you should really consider seeing a Dr. if you haven't. That being said, whether the ride portrays suicide or not it's still an attraction based on death. It also features two men in a duel shooting each other, ghosts dancing together, a grim reaper holding a Mickey head in a tomb, and basically HAS to have dead people in order to, ya know, be the "Haunted" Mansion. There are also lots of people that die from alcoholism and alcohol involved accidents but I don't see them taking the rum out of POTC. Besides that, everyone knows that redheads are WAY more offensive anyway. LOL!

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I own a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. The 2017 edition and they included a review of Pirates of the Caribbean in which a woman states she felt uncomfortable explaining the redhead scene to her child. I can't help but feel like that SINGLE publication caused the removal of the scene.

The irony is that they made many more people feel uncomfortable by changing it. The fact that they replaced it with an inferior and unfunny scene makes it even worse. Everybody loses.

Removing the hanging scene from the Haunted Mansion is just unthinkable. You might as well just bulldoze the whole attraction. It’s safer that way.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I mean ABSOLUTELY no offence to the OP, but in 2018, we as a nation are getting WAY too PC... I am sympathetic to your situation, but unfortunately we don't live in a violence free or crisis free world. In order to raise a well rounded child or individual, a person HAS to be exposed to tragedy...it's real life, it happens and who better than a parent to explain or teach a child what they are seeing, hearing, etc.

Again, no disrespect, but every child that participates in a game should not be awarded a trophy just because they tried...you win, you get awarded...you lose, as Willie Wonka said, "You lose, you get nothing, good day, sir".

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It's unfortunate that you struggle with mental health issues and if suicide makes you that uncomfortable you should really consider seeing a Dr. if you haven't. That being said, whether the ride portrays suicide or not it's still an attraction based on death. It also features two men in a duel shooting each other, ghosts dancing together, a grim reaper holding a Mickey head in a tomb, and basically HAS to have dead people in order to, ya know, be the "Haunted" Mansion. There are also lots of people that die from alcoholism and alcohol involved accidents but I don't see them taking the rum out of POTC. Besides that, everyone knows that redheads are WAY more offensive anyway. LOL!
Not to mention the star of the mansion, Constance Hatchaway, the killer bride... and I think she may be a redhead, now that you mention it...

crxbrett

I re-read my post and it may have come off as sounding rude or as though I was disregarding mental health diseases. I am sorry and apologize to the OP if I came off as being cold-hearted in my response. I do understand how incredibly real mental health issues are and how devastating they can be. My father took his own life when I was only 14-years-old.

Sorry if my response seemed to brush you off, scud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom