Rumor Haunted Mansion Restaurant?

tirian

I stand by my original statement in that a Wind in the Willows/Sleepy Hollow area with restaurant would be the better option. Would a Haunted Mansion hotel or restaurant make a crap ton of money? Yes, but there's is such a thing as over-saturation which I feel would dilute the HM ride experience. The fact that this never gained any traction is a rare WDW blessing!
I’d prefer a Sleepy Hollow restaurant too, but I’m also glad the Liberty Tree never went that route.

tirian

Diamond Horseshoe is just sitting there with not much happening. Just saying. Again.
Wrong land and theming. It could’ve been a really fun restaurant with a Tokyo-style “Woody’s Roundup” show, and I’m not talking about foam heads waving their arms around. Disney could’ve brought back the Diamond Horseshoe Revue and incorporated Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, and the Prospector in a similar way that they include Mickey in the Broadway show at Tokyo DisneySea. But with Toy Story Land, it’s too late for that; and there’s no reason not to bring back the Diamond Horseshoe except Equity $$$ performers.

Check it out:

And they’re singing live.

jt04

Oh, so that's why there are so few dinner reservations available there in the next few days. Because Diamond Horseshoe is "just sitting there with not much happening". I see now.

It used to be more than a feeding trough. Perhaps bringing back some magic isn't a bad idea.

Why settle?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It could very well dilute the ride experience..espcially if done in the tone of the new cemetary queue...But if it were done right it could add to the experience... Immersive environment dining is a wonderful thing...even when the food is not great (Be Our Guest) Perhaps a Pirates Of The Caribbean immersive environment Restaurant would be better? The Astronomers Club restaurant for Tomorrowland that was once planned? A Neverland themed restaurant indoor under a starlit sky with pirate ship and Skull Rock? Any of those ideas would be fine with me...and I don't necessarily think they would detract from the ride... But enhance and extend the experience...

There's the rub. An elegant, understated macabre design with nods to the HM without the kooky-spooky hijinks would be a welcomed addition; extension of the mansion. But I look at that awful interactive queue and R.I.P, all hopes are dashed.

TrojanUSC

It used to be excellent, but the overall food quality has dropped everywhere since they started the Disney Dining Program... Which is such a shame... I wish they would get rid of that program entirely or make it so it did not include signature restaurants, so that they could concentrate on food quality again.

This x 1000. There's still some exceptions (V&A, CA Grill Brunch, etc) but for the most part everything is a shell of what it once was. Especially the one credit popular places. Chef Mickey's, which used to have some creative and interesting fare, is prison food. 'Ohana, while still decent, has cut back its offerings to only the cheapest ones. And don't get me started on the breakfasts, with the same powdered eggs and tater tots everywhere.

TrojanUSC

Le Cellier used to be good too. Was my favorite restaurant on property. Now, believe it or not, The Boat House is my favorite.

Not a surprise. Boathouse is owned/operated by a legendary Chicago steakhouse (Gibson's) and is one of the highest grossing restaurants in the US.

yensidtlaw1969

Dead. No pun intended. ;)
I have to say, I can't help but feel this is a blessing - much though I love The Haunted Mansion, and I do desperately, I struggle to believe this would have actually added to the attraction rather than taken away from it. Memento Mori perhaps already takes things one step too far, and of course the interactive queue is abysmal.

A lesson I once learned in lighting design - if you're going for drama, you'll do better removing a light instead of adding another. These days The Haunted Mansion has a little too much light, so to speak. It's supposed to be haunted, after all. Bubble-blowing Tombs and a Gift Shop don't offer the quiet isolation that distinguishes a haunted house.

Can anyone speak to what the plan really was, since it does seem to be dead? Location, concept? Was it to be as if we were dining "in the Mansion itself", or a separate restaurant nearby that was also purported to be haunted? Or something else entirely?

champdisney

It all depends on how well Disney executes the story, in which I find it difficult to grasp. I really don't want a CM dressed up as a ghostly butler or maid to be serving me food, it's predictable. Leave that to the CM's that perform the Halloween parades and the actual attraction. I'm all up for beautifully themed restaurant experiences but I'm not a fan of the Haunted Mansion concept. Could there be a restaurant that ties in with the Haunted Mansion that complements the overall ride experience? Yes. Inside the Mansion itself? No.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Could there be a restaurant that ties in with the Haunted Mansion that complements the overall ride experience? Yes. Inside the Mansion itself? No.
Ah, but how much would people pay for an exclusive gourmet dining experience in the ACTUAL HM ballroom?

Accountants are already splooging in delight, just thinking about that...

build_it

Ah, but how much would people pay for an exclusive gourmet dining experience in the ACTUAL HM ballroom?

Unfortunately, it'd probably end up more like a HM warehouse, with some hints that its s ballroom...

tirian

Disney has used it for events in the past. I don’t know whether they still do, and I never understood the logistics considering all the props.

Bocabear

Disney has used it for events in the past. I don’t know whether they still do, and I never understood the logistics considering all the props.
The dinners I have seen have all been in the Foyer and stretching rooms with the two rooms , doors all open to make it into a 3 room restaurant set up... Never in the actual ride set itself...

Bocabear

But why not have the restaurant designed exactly like the ride sets but without the ghosts...Keep the scale intimate, use the same interior design, add a very few effects just to keep it moody and interesting...a dining terrace overlooking the graveyard at night?..a few more special effects... It would be gorgeous and make a fortune...but it wuld have to be done right, and not junked up like the Graveyard Queue.

jt04

But why not have the restaurant designed exactly like the ride sets but without the ghosts...Keep the scale intimate, use the same interior design, add a very few effects just to keep it moody and interesting...a dining terrace overlooking the graveyard at night?..a few more special effects... It would be gorgeous and make a fortune...but it wuld have to be done right, and not junked up like the Graveyard Queue.

A reconfigured Diamond Horseshoe would work perfectly overlooking the HM. Move the riverboat towards Splash, add a Tall ship (haunted at night like DL) in that space and you instantly have Galaxy's Edge type immersion within Liberty Square for a small investment.

Bocabear

A reconfigured Diamond Horseshoe would work perfectly overlooking the HM. Move the riverboat towards Splash, add a Tall ship (haunted at night like DL) in that space and you instantly have Galaxy's Edge type immersion within Liberty Square for a small investment.
Actually an interesting idea, but the logistics don't work... Diamond Horseshoe is too far away to relate.

jt04

Actually an interesting idea, but the logistics don't work... Diamond Horseshoe is too far away to relate.

That is why they would need to build out the front and configure Liberty Square close to the intent of the original design. An actual square.

And while it would overlook the HM, it could have a different backstory and a name change from Diamond Horseshoe. Perhaps something Ichabod Crane-ish.

But that is a lot of armchair imagineering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom