Haunted Mansion Restaurant

MotherOfBirds

I fear my HM is becoming more of a collage than a cohesive attraction, which would only be exacerbated by additions and removals. If a HM restaurant were to manifest, I'd rather it be tied to LS rather than explicitly for the HM. We know they're capable of kooky-spooky F&B outlets in the spirit of other attractions a la Trader Sam's, so the talent is there to make something great. Unfortunately it took Disney 45 years to figure out that HM has a pretty substantial fanbase that is just dying for merch, so now they've decided to beat us over the heads with it (I'm looking at you, HM/Star Wars crossover coffee mugs.)

HMF

I like the walking ghost book effect in the library (can't recall which mansion has it). It would look pretty sweet in wdw's mansion. Of all the things I'd like to see most in the mansion, a dedicated spider lair with giant webs, maybe some projected spider shadows and the return of the pre-1970's Man in Web would be ideal. Oh and Constance to get the ax. I'm tired of her. Off with HER head.
I am open to adding the walking book effect from Tokyo, The Endless Staircase is FAR better than Fake Spiders and while I would like a new figure. I don't think the "Constance" concept is going anywhere.

FigmentJedi

I fear my HM is becoming more of a collage than a cohesive attraction, which would only be exacerbated by additions and removals. If a HM restaurant were to manifest, I'd rather it be tied to LS rather than explicitly for the HM. We know they're capable of kooky-spooky F&B outlets in the spirit of other attractions a la Trader Sam's, so the talent is there to make something great. Unfortunately it took Disney 45 years to figure out that HM has a pretty substantial fanbase that is just dying for merch, so now they've decided to beat us over the heads with it (I'm looking at you, HM/Star Wars crossover coffee mugs.)
I'd say go all in on a Sleepy Hollow theme for the restaurant. It's a property that could use more representation in Liberty Square then that little food stand, the Headless Horseman has had ties to Haunted Mansion going back to its early development cycles that can finally be put to use, and I think something like the Van Tassel Halloween Party would be a fantastic atmosphere for a dining facility.

MotherOfBirds

I'd say go all in on a Sleepy Hollow theme for the restaurant. It's a property that could use more representation in Liberty Square then that little food stand, the Headless Horseman has had ties to Haunted Mansion going back to its early development cycles that can finally be put to use, and I think something like the Van Tassel Halloween Party would be a fantastic atmosphere for a dining facility.

A crack of lightning, and the horseman appears ouside the windows before galloping away

HMF

I would be open to Sleepy Hollow elements. but I would rather not see them go crazy with IP-based theming.

Buried20KLeague

I like the walking ghost book effect in the library (can't recall which mansion has it). It would look pretty sweet in wdw's mansion. Of all the things I'd like to see most in the mansion, a dedicated spider lair with giant webs, maybe some projected spider shadows and the return of the pre-1970's Man in Web would be ideal. Oh and Constance to get the ax. I'm tired of her. Off with HER head.

That's Tokyo too. They also have a book on a table that flips pages by itself.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
That's Tokyo too. They also have a book on a table that flips pages by itself.

Wow. Tokyo got a lot of things right!

I don't think the "Constance" concept is going anywhere.

I find her incredibly annoying and out of character with the rest of the ride. She has a twing of uncanny valley, something's off about her. "Too human" crossed my mind but then Leota and Singing Busts are pretty much of the same effect. I don't know what it is, but I would have hoped they'd change her look or update the concept if nothing else. Maybe it's the whole body projection that kills it. Maybe a combo AA with projected face would be better? She just doesn't have the same vibe as the rest of the ghosts. I'd rather see her depart WDW's mansion for good but I fear you're right. Shame. On the other hand, her removal might usher in something far worse and further dilute the already over-imagineered re-hauntings. Makes me ill to think about how they could bastardize a restaurant.

HMF

Check out the Tokyo Bride.
upload_2017-5-13_6-42-48.png

Swap the candle with an axe keep the portraits and I think you have a pretty compelling scene.

FigmentFan3

It was always my understanding that Constance has materialized by way of "possessing" a dress form mannequin on which her dress is stored in the attic. I sort of like the way she is. :confused:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It was always my understanding that Constance has materialized by way of "possessing" a dress form mannequin on which her dress is stored in the attic. I sort of like the way she is. :confused:

That was the intent I believe. But I don't think it come across as well as it should. The mannequin to ghost bride transition is lost on riders because it takes a backseat to the murderous bride story. A concept that must develops quickly so as to make the story obvious and to better showcase the projected effects and 'site the bride spiel before we exit that area. The entire effect becomes muddled.

The issue, as I see it is that she has too much going on and the imagineers would rather bombard you with spectacle (and a story) vs letting the original mannequin to ghost concept play out in a subtle eerie effect. I don't mind the murderous bride concept but I think the tailor mannequin to ghost bride effect should be the prominent illusion; seeing as how one would likely find a tailor mannequin in a old attic.

Preferably, I'd like a non-speaking bride. Mostly static. A more prominent mannequin to ghost illusion. A hint of murder (let that be a story left to our imagination) and instead of projection a revisited Pepper's Ghost transition.

(Apologies all. Took a wide turn and went off on a tangent. Now back to your regularly scheduled restaurant discussion)

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

That was the intent I believe. But I don't think it come across as well as it should. The mannequin to ghost bride transition is lost on riders because it takes a backseat to the murderous bride story. A concept that must develops quickly so as to make the story obvious and to better showcase the projected effects and 'site the bride spiel before we exit that area. The entire effect becomes muddled.

The issue, as I see it is that she has too much going on and the imagineers would rather bombard you with spectacle (and a story) vs letting the original mannequin to ghost concept play out in a subtle eerie effect. I don't mind the murderous bride concept but I think the tailor mannequin to ghost bride effect should be the prominent illusion; seeing as how one would likely find a tailor mannequin in a old attic.

Preferably, I'd like a non-speaking bride. Mostly static. A more prominent mannequin to ghost illusion. A hint of murder (let that be a story left to our imagination) and instead of projection a revisited Pepper's Ghost transition.
Yeah, the menace Connie presents is just undercut by the fact that she's just a matrimony-themed version of Ahnold's Mr. Freeze or a character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Having her sinisterly hum along to the wedding march with an occasional evil chuckle gets the point across without bludgeoning you with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom