haunted mansion complaint

RAY M N.J.

Original Poster
does anyone else agree the neon "carnival" fake looking spiders are realy cheesy for the great disney world attraction, i say get rid of them, they remind me of the local carnival spook house that comes to town once a year:veryconfu

RonAnnArbor

Nah - they are fine - remember, WDW is going after "whimsy" throughout the ride - the instruments in the sceance are flourescent orange right out of a 70's disco, and I wouldn't want them removed either (although DRP did away with theirs)...

TheDisneyMagic

I agree they do look cheesy but I don't think that they should remove them unless they are going to actually replace them with new ones that are not as cheesy. :lol:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Honestly, the cheese factor is one of my favorite things about the Haunted Mansion

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Um, the whole ride is cheesy! I think that's the point. :lol:

It's why I ride.

yensidtlaw1969

I must disagree. The point of the HM is not to be cheesy, it is to be funny. Funny as in sight-gags funny. Delightfully creepy. Not "oh look at me I'm a cheesy spider that little children can tell is fake and you can hear the pneumatics from" funny. That's more sad than funny, in my opinion. I've always wished they'd done something better here. I've heard talk of the HM going down for IASW style rehab spring '07, and while I cannot confirm this, if it is true than maybe we'll finally see something worthwhile here that blends with the rest of the Mansion. Here's hoping from this one.

Yensid "PLEASE let the HM go down for extensive refurbishments!!!" tlaw1969

dumboflyer

the cheese is the point, BUT those spiders have crossed the line! Especially when they are the only thing to look at at that point in the ride! Don't take 'em out---just make 'em better!

Neverwhere

I agree they look cheesy BUT, I have actually heard from friends who are seriously terrified of spiders that they are actually very scary. So I guess if Spiders scare you, you are going to find them creepy, if not you're going to find them cheesy.

I'm with the cheesy crowd. I don't mind though.

steviej

I am all for taking them out, mainly because I have a severe case of arachnophobia, and spiders scare the living heck out of me. sorry woody!

MuRkErY

I dont think the point of HM is too be cheesy.

I think the point of the ride is to create a great ambience, which can be both creepy, and tongue in cheek through out the ride.

The spiders do seem the one element of the ride that does not fit to me anyway, like somebody else has said, hopefully they might get changed during any large future rehabs.

Enderikari

MuRkErY said:
I think the point of the ride is to create a great ambience, which can be both creepy, and tongue in cheek through out the ride.

Quite right... You can almost see the inspiration of the two lead Imagineers...

Claude Coates - Ambience, Creepy... No real ghosts but a general feeling a haunted...

Marc Davis - Rollicking Music numbers.. Animatronic Ghosts... The tongue in cheek.

Captain Hank

Enderikari said:
Quite right... You can almost see the inspiration of the two lead Imagineers...

Claude Coates - Ambience, Creepy... No real ghosts but a general feeling a haunted...

Marc Davis - Rollicking Music numbers.. Animatronic Ghosts... The tongue in cheek.
Quite true--and the attraction is almost evenly split into two acts based on the inspiration from those two Imagineers. Claud Coates' influence is most strongly felt in the first half of the attraction--from the stretch room right up until Mme. Leota. Note that the first actual character you encouter (besides the Ghost Host) is Leota. Up until that point, the attraction is entirely atmosphere-driven with supplimental narration by the Ghost Host, and is kinda creepy.

After Leota calls out the ghosts, the mood changes to Marc Davis' kooky, tounge in cheek, character-driven atmosphere. Notice that the Ghost Host is completely absent during this time, right up until you meet the hitchhiking ghosts.

And, yes, I agree that the spiders are some of the weaker effects of the HM.

Laura

Premium Member
The spiders need to stay. That first pitch black hallway is the creepiest part of the ride and just as I'm about to freak out from being scared those silly fake spiders appear and calm me down.

Is it stupid of me to actually be SCARED riding HM? lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom