Haunted Mansion Changes?

goofyguy

Original Poster
Found this on Cinescape.com.
</p>
</P>
HAUNTED MANSION may change Disneyland ride
Minkoff says studio, theme park closely tied

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: Wednesday, July 10, 2002

By: CHRISTOPHER ALLAN SMITH
By: News Editor
Source: Sci Fi Wire

While talking up one of the several films being based on rides at Disneyland, director Rob Minkoff revealed what’s done on the big screen with THE HAUNTED MANSION may in fact reflect in the famous 50 year old ride.

"They have a strategy at Disneyland that one of the things they have to do is bring people back to the park," Minkoff said. "[Changing staple rides is] the way they do it. ... When they have an opportunity to do something new, to give it a little bit of a reawakening, they're very excited."

The movie, starring Eddie Murphy, tells the never-before-seen-story (wink) of a family moving into a haunted house.

"There are some of the images from the ride that we are going to incorporate into the storytelling, but really the goal is you'll watch this movie as its own thing,” Minkoff said. “It's not about a ride. What will happen is you'll see the movie, and you'll go, 'Oh, I understand slightly differently what that meant [in the ride].' It will actually have more of an inflection on the ride than the ride will have an inflection on the movie… I've been going to Disneyland forever, and I've been on that ride so many times. I always said to myself, 'Wouldn't this make a cool movie?' When I got the call and they said, 'Do you want to make a movie out of this?' it was suddenly like, 'God, I guess I have to.'"

goofyguy

Original Poster
For some reason I didn't notice that. Just one more thing to cast doubt on the story. I honestly don't think Disney would make changes to the HM based on this movie (at least I hope they're not that stupid), I think this is just a director trying to get some press for his project.

bearboysnc

There are RUMORS that they will overhaul 5 rides for the 50th anniversary.

The Ride opened 1969... and hasn't changed much since. It's due for an update.

Jerm

Originally posted by bearboysnc
There are RUMORS that they will overhaul 5 rides for the 50th anniversary.

The Ride opened 1969... and hasn't changed much since. It's due for an update.

But they closed down the first HM cause it scared someone to death and redid it all?........JOKE JOKE JOKE

Actually only a few things have changed over the years. Other then the Holiday change over, the biggest thing was when they redid the sound system and got most of the narration that has been lost over the years back in. Oh and the ghost playing the paino in the attic is really the only thing that has been added. I would say more things have been removed from the attraction over the years then have been added.

Jerm

jmarc63

DISNEYLANDS 50TH

My guess is that the editor didn't proof read the story. Maybe he probably ment Disneylands 50TH aniversry comming up in 2005, Three years from now. The Haunted Mansion didn't come along till after Walts death and opened in '69

WDWFREAK53

Re: DISNEYLANDS 50TH

Originally posted by jmarc63
My guess is that the editor didn't proof read the the the story. Maybe he probably ment Disneylands 50TH aniversry comming up in 2005, Three years from now. The Haunted Mansion didn't come along till after Walts death and openrd in '69

Or maybe he was meaning that the ride will have been open for 50 years by the time the overhaul is completed

Terp02

What I would like to know is: Why change it if it's a success?
This is one of the most popular and beloved rides in both DL and WDW, why would they want to change it? It makes no sense. Next thing you know they're gonna change PoC into that Pirate kids thing I heard rumors about. Where? I have no clue but I do remember hearing them. This is an outrage and I would definitely boycott the ride if they destroyed this masterpiece:mad:. Yea it's old, but it's one of, if not the best, Haunted House rides in the the world. Disney has got to learn that they don't need to revamp old rides, they need to build new ones next to the old ones.

leeocean

The Haunted Mansion is my favorite non-thrill ride! I wish they would refurb the part where it's just spiders in the webs and make it more scary or entertaining. I think Madame Leota's room is getting a bit old too - I think they should keep her but have ghost flying around or something. Spice it up!

bearboysnc

Next thing you know they're gonna change PoC

The DL PoC has aleadry undergone several "updates" and changes.

Most recently the removed the "de-gradeation of women" and lewd behavior:

-They changed the pirates chasing the women... to pirates chasing women holding food.

-They changed the drunken pirate holding the womens neglege to a pirate looking for food (or something)

-They also removed most references to liquor and drunkeness, and pointing guns in your face.

They also added several figure from our beloved WOM. My favorite, is at the end, they have 2 pirates trying to move a large chest of gold, up the incline.

The only attractions at DL (over 20 years old) that hasn't had any "major" changes are the Tiki Room, and the Mansion.

WDWFREAK53

The Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride of all time and I'm not just talking WDW...MY FAVORITE RIDE!

(I wouldn't mind a rehab like they did in DL) (AS LONG AS IT IS TEMPORARY)

goofyguy

Original Poster
Personally, I don't necessarily mind updates to classic rides. I know they have to keep things in the park fresh. But I just can't imagine that anything from an Eddie Murphy movie would be worth tampering with an already successful ride. With all due respect to those Eddie Murphy fans, his movies are not what I consider classics.

WDWManic

It does need rehab, but I don't think they will because its one of the best rides in DisneyWorld and they dont want to ruin that.

HMGhost13

i have personally, been against this whole movie from the start. why? well, a few months ago i was posting my ideas for a HM script that i was going to write. it was to be a combination of HM in WDW, HM in DL, PM in EDL and A spooky night in disney's haunted mansion. it woul dbe about 4 teens who enter the HM, one to prove to his g/f that ghosts do not exsist. what would follow os the tour and survival to get back to reality. disney comes up witht his wholesome goody goody let's try and be funny by adding Eddie Murphy to the contract movie that will NOT have ghosts seen (as we see 999 ghosts on the ride). if they change it, i will also file a large complaint, i think many people will. this is a ride not to tamper with. it's bad enough that the movie might kill the effect, ex. "Oh that was cool, but the movie was better."

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Let's not forget the DL rehab that happened last year with the christmas theme. I don't think they're going to stick all that money into bringing everything back up to par and then change it a few years later.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
I work for Disneyland Administration and although I'm not close to this project, I can share with all of you that DL saw a TREMENDOUS boost in attendance at the HM when we ran the Nightmare Before Christmas theme. This has convinced park executives that a major rehab of the attraction would be favorable.

JLW11Hi

Question: (I asked this in a different board, but it got ignored)

Will they do the Nightmare Before Christmas thing at the HM this year again? I personally think that would be awesome , seeing as I might be going there this Christmas season :D .

I listened to the "stretching room" narration for the Christmas version, and it sounded really cool. I hope they do it again. Has anyone else been on this version, and what did you think?

I think that it would be nice if Disney updated a few things in the ride, without taking any of the classic stuff out (ie: Madame Leota, hitchhiking ghosts). This is one of the best rides, and from looking at the Tower of Terror, there is a lot of special effects that have come around that would fit in just right at HM.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by DCA Fan
It has already been confirmed that HMH will occur at DL this year.

WDW is considering having it as well.

:D That made my day.

But when would it start? When did last year's start? I am guessing not to long after Thanksgiving?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom