Haunted Mansion and Pirates Movies!

stale32441

Original Poster
just returned from Epcot where thay were hosting the annual Disneyana convention, and other things to go with it. Among those was The Walt Disney Company Showcase. This was setup with booth from various TWDC outlets such as Disney on Ice, Disney Cruise Line, and The Disney Channel, etc... However one booth was from Buena Vista Pictures and had information on new movies! I can't remember the dates (2002,2003,2004) but the new movies that are in production now are:

Treasure Planet(Animated)
The Haunted Mansion(Live-action)
The Pirates of the Caribbean(Live-action)
Lion King 1 1/2 : Hakuna Matata(Animated)
The Jungle Book 2(Animated)
Piglet's Big Movie(Animated)

The HM and POTC movies are based on the plots of the rides: a sailor( i think) leaves his bride at the alter and hanges himself, and haunts his mansion; and a gang of pirates sack the Spanish main( yo-ho, yo-ho). Supposedly half of the jokes in The Lion King were written to setup for this second movie so, it looks like we may have a few new reasons to go to the theatres soon...

wdwcrazy

The only movies that look promising are Piglets and Treasure Planet. The rest look like dogs, and they'll probably do as well as Country Bears did.

:hurl:

kwt10

I hate to say that I agree with the last post. I hope that Disney learned something from the CB movie and either increase the production value and writting of the movie or just scrap it altogether. I love the Idea of movies about the HM and POC but I just hope they are done much better.

celticdog

HM and POTC movies

The Hm and Potc movies have potential, however i do believe the others will be very mediocre. From what i've heard about Treasure Planet, i'm not impressed, the plot seems a little weak. The Lion King 1 1/2 may be alright. The question is will it be straight to video? If so, it will probably stink like yesterdays garbage. The Jungle Book 2; Do we really need another sequal? Look at how bland the other sequals have been: Cinderella 2, Pocohantas 2, Little Mermaid 2, Return To Neverland. Is there no one at Disney with any creativity? Piglet's Big Movie can't possibly do well, look at how quikly The Tigger Movie disappeared. Disney is in a huge slump in the movie department. It's like we're back in the 70's and early 80's, all the movie's are terrible, the magic is gone, the movies have no heart. The renaissance struck in 1989 (Little Mermaid) but it ended in 1999 with Tarzan. All the movies since then have been terrible with the exception of the Pixar collaborations. This applies to live action as well. What Disney needs to do is go back to the musicals, the song and dance numbers. :)

Sherm00

actually I am looking foward to treasure planet. it looks awesome. I like sci fi adventures like that. just like I liked atlantis, a sci fi adventure, it's diffrent then what disney has done in the past and maybe thats why people don't like them but I think they are awesome if you just give them a chance. I would like to see country bears, haunted mansion and pirates. just really seems like awesome plots to me and it would be along the lines of those dexter movies, Black beards ghost etc. actually I would love to see them make a new herby movie with useing a new VW bug or PT cruiser.

james4023464

Re: HM and POTC movies

Originally posted by celticdog
The Hm and Potc movies have potential, however i do believe the others will be very mediocre. From what i've heard about Treasure Planet, i'm not impressed, the plot seems a little weak. The Lion King 1 1/2 may be alright. The question is will it be straight to video? If so, it will probably stink like yesterdays garbage. The Jungle Book 2; Do we really need another sequal? Look at how bland the other sequals have been: Cinderella 2, Pocohantas 2, Little Mermaid 2, Return To Neverland. Is there no one at Disney with any creativity? Piglet's Big Movie can't possibly do well, look at how quikly The Tigger Movie disappeared. Disney is in a huge slump in the movie department. It's like we're back in the 70's and early 80's, all the movie's are terrible, the magic is gone, the movies have no heart. The renaissance struck in 1989 (Little Mermaid) but it ended in 1999 with Tarzan. All the movies since then have been terrible with the exception of the Pixar collaborations. This applies to live action as well. What Disney needs to do is go back to the musicals, the song and dance numbers. :)
I'm with you, I also think disney should go back to the musicals, Those songs were great, Disney is going in to a dark age lets just hope it doesn't last long.

westie

Is it just me or does it seem like every time disney needs to revamp a ride or attraction they make a movie out of it. For example, CB's needs attention, lets make a movie out of it! Hey, the Polynesian is loosing money, hmmm, how can we make a movie out of it so people will want to stay there? Nobodies staying at the All Star, hey, lets get Dennis Quaid to save it! Sorry for the poor metaphors but, you know what I mean. Beautiful thinking.

Katherine

Is Disney Really that hard up for new ideas that they're just going to make rides into movies? Doesn't this sound a little cheap? I agree that they need to bring back the musical styled animation! I loved the classics the little mermaid, Snow White, Cinderella,ect. They were great! I feel like disney's just being cheap now, just reusing ideas!

bearboysnc

Originally posted by Katherine
Is Disney Really that hard up for new ideas that they're just going to make rides into movies? Doesn't this sound a little cheap?

YES, and YES

I'd hate to be the Executive that greenlighted a movie based on the Country Bears.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by westie
Is it just me or does it seem like every time disney needs to revamp a ride or attraction they make a movie out of it. For example, CB's needs attention, lets make a movie out of it! Hey, the Polynesian is loosing money, hmmm, how can we make a movie out of it so people will want to stay there? Nobodies staying at the All Star, hey, lets get Dennis Quaid to save it! Sorry for the poor metaphors but, you know what I mean. Beautiful thinking.

The thing about that is at Disneyland,. they just closed the Country Bear Jamboree....??

Isnt there a movie in development called "Chicken Little"? I read this in the Disney Magazine recently. The makers of Emporer's New Groove, Mark Dindal and Randy Fulmer are doing it, I heard, so it should be a funny movie.

stale32441

Original Poster
Just remembered some that i forgot above...

Both straight to video:

Lilo and Stich 2
Disney's House of Villians

L&S 2 will be another straight to video, and will also a tv show, and HOV is a cute "sequal" to House of Mouse, where Cruella, Capt. Hook, and a few others will take over Mickey's house.

Big Pooh

Lilo & Stitch is a great movie, and the trailer for Treasure Planet looks great. Country Bears on the other hand, is AWFUL, HORRIBLE, and JUST PLAIN STUPID. My daughter loved it, bless her heart, but it is bad. I spent the whole time waiting for Big Al to sing Blood On The Saddle, :animwink: but he never did. :lol:

Cheers:wave:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Originally posted by Sherm00
actually I would love to see them make a new herby movie with useing a new VW bug or PT cruiser.

:eek: :eek: Herbie as a PT Cruiser!!! Blasphemy! ;)

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
The Country Bears looked terrible from the start...
You can't take the kid from american pie who is used to using most four and five letter words, to staring in a Disney film. It just doesn't work that way!

I don't mind if Disney wants to waste their money on HM and PotC movies as long as a total change in the rides results...

Have a wonderful day everyone!

celticdog

i would hope that rides don't change, except for preventative maintenance. HM and Potc are classics, I always hit Potc as the first ride on my visits.

Refresh my memory, wasn't there a movie with Steve Guttenberg about the Hollywood Tower? Didn't it have a direct link with the Tower of Terror ride? If i recall correctly it was pretty bad.

Mouse3268

Originally posted by celticdog
i would hope that rides don't change, except for preventative maintenance. HM and Potc are classics, I always hit Potc as the first ride on my visits.

Refresh my memory, wasn't there a movie with Steve Guttenberg about the Hollywood Tower? Didn't it have a direct link with the Tower of Terror ride? If i recall correctly it was pretty bad.

Ahh I don't think it did well but I liked it.:)

MKingdom25

Maybe this it stating the obvious but I think they need to look at Lilo & Stitch for guidance on future animated movies. I think most people thought it was a great movie and it made tons of money (over $140 million as of Sunday, acccording to Box Office Mojo.) I think if they can make Lilo & Stitch 2 even close to as good as the first one, it will be great in both the above mentioned ways.

As for the rest of the moves, I will wait and see and give them a chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom