News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

Unbanshee

My.wife who is not a modern Disney fan, asked if they were going to do any movie connections.
I told her two things, how it bombed and that he is not going to go into the attic but newe tje endless hallway.

"Before all the ghosts are full visible? Before the seance?

Well shoot. She noticed.

My three-year-old had a similar reaction. I told him that the Hatbox Ghost wouldn't be in the attic and he said, "Let me guess, with modern-day Imagineers so focused on their Instagram presence, they don't even have time to consider the legacy and storyline of a classic attraction that is more American history than theme park ride at this point".

Couldn't have said it better myself

JohnD

My three-year-old had a similar reaction. I told him that the Hatbox Ghost wouldn't be in the attic and he said, "Let me guess, with modern-day Imagineers so focused on their Instagram presence, they don't even have time to consider the legacy and storyline of a classic attraction that is more American history than theme park ride at this point".

I like the sentiment but come on, your three year old really said that? I find that hard to believe.

FettFan

I fully expect this child to graduate from Harvard Business School by age 10.

FettFan

Quick question: what is it with movie studios releasing horror movies in literally every month but October?

It's not just Disney; the Dracula spinoff Last Voyage of the Demeter is coming out this weekend.

It would seem like a no-brainer to release them no sooner than the last weekend of September so as to cash in on the Spooky Season.

Trick Or Treat Reaction GIF by Simon Super Rabbit

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Quick question: what is it with movie studios releasing horror movies in literally every month but October?

It's not just Disney; the Dracula spinoff Last Voyage of the Demeter is coming out this weekend.

It would seem like a no-brainer to release them no sooner than the last weekend of September so as to cash in on the Spooky Season.

Spooktober begins after back to school so yeah mid late August.

Bleed0range

Haunted mansion is my favorite ride, but again, if you see the movie… which is not that bad even if it bombed… it makes sense that you could see the hatbox ghost before the seance. It bothered me more before I saw the movie.

celluloid

That's the joke. It satirizes that an airtight, cogent argument can be made by asking a family member their opinion, QED.
Ya know, not everything is an argument. Sometimes just a funny observation, particularly from me from my wife, who is not been interested in anything from Disney stateside since Tangled and The Magic, The Memories and You.

It hit me that is what was being talked about here so I posted it.

Funny joke with the three year old bit though.

But even in jest, I don't blame Imagineering as much as exec choices who think they are creative and care about form and function working together.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Haunted mansion is my favorite ride, but again, if you see the movie… which is not that bad even if it bombed… it makes sense that you could see the hatbox ghost before the seance. It bothered me more before I saw the movie.
The first version of the Haunted Mansion was also a bomb...I mean, a real stinker, but the production design was spectacular. Rick Baker did special effects makeup, John Myhre (academy award winning production designer) was involved... it had the best of the best. Sadly they did not have the best of the best writing the script, and using Eddie Murphy made it "another Eddie Murphy Movie"... but it is worth watching merely for the sets....and the opening credits that give a wonderful , fleshed out back story. I would rather see that back story expanded and made into a better origin film.
I am hoping that if they do a third Haunted Mansion movie, it will be set in the Hudson Valley house (WDW and TDL) and be decidedly darker and the vision of Guillermo Del Toro as was announced over a decade ago at D23. There could even be a 4th film based on the Disneyland Paris mansion....They just need to invest in good writers.

celluloid

The first version of the Haunted Mansion was also a bomb...I mean, a real stinker, but the production design was spectacular. Rick Baker did special effects makeup, John Myhre (academy award winning production designer) was involved... it had the best of the best. Sadly they did not have the best of the best writing the script, and using Eddie Murphy made it "another Eddie Murphy Movie"... but it is worth watching merely for the sets....and the opening credits that give a wonderful , fleshed out back story. I would rather see that back story expanded and made into a better origin film.
I am hoping that if they do a third Haunted Mansion movie, it will be set in the Hudson Valley house (WDW and TDL) and be decidedly darker and the vision of Guillermo Del Toro as was announced over a decade ago at D23. There could even be a 4th film based on the Disneyland Paris mansion....They just need to invest in good writers.
Great points. Rick Baker is amazing. Knowing he is retired always feels like a bummer for my entertainment world. That's how legendary to me.

It is so funny we always seem to get a HM film that is present day. I get it cand add to the visitors being out of their element. But not sure why they can't base the movie with an older time period. All the Haunted Mansion attractions seem to. Even if the time is more vague, it seems that would help it vs the current slang and forced vernacular of the two theatrical attempts.

celluloid

It is nothing unusual for horror movies to be released now so they can do well from hype but also do well on home video as traditionally people rent or buy for Halloween season.

Universal with last voyage of Demeter was best under circumstances as the company has their two Blumhouse releases coming out in October with the Exorcist and Five Nights at Freddy's. This gets their two properties Halloween and this one Labor day of it can hold onto its own for a bit.

The original Scream actually released December 20th for Christmas. When horror movies are good to great. horror movie fans love them at any time.

The time of year was really the least of HMs issues.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Honestly I would not even mind a very well done series...an origin story for the WDW mansion.
years back a fan had posted an idea...a sort of novelization of the back story involving an old diary found, and it being the story of Master Gracey's ward who returned from her finishing school in Switzerland to find her parents had died and was now his ward....that he intended to marry. Leota was a gypsy house guest of Master Gracey's and was the girl's only confidant....but Leota was slowly poisoning her to get her out of the way so that her daughter (Little Leota) could become the heir instead...
I don't remember all the plot points because it was like 20 years ago, but the story basics were there for a movie or really good series...
I think Little Leota in this version ended up with the money and imprisoned her unworthy suitors in trunks in the attic (as a way of explaining the pop-up ghosts in the Disneyland mansion))...

celluloid

Honestly I would not even mind a very well done series...an origin story for the WDW mansion.
years back a fan had posted an idea...a sort of novelization of the back story involving an old diary found, and it being the story of Master Gracey's ward who returned from her finishing school in Switzerland to find her parents had died and was now his ward....that he intended to marry. Leota was a gypsy house guest of Master Gracey's and was the girl's only confidant....but Leota was slowly poisoning her to get her out of the way so that her daughter (Little Leota) could become the heir instead...
I don't remember all the plot points because it was like 20 years ago, but the story basics were there for a movie or really good series...
I think Little Leota in this version ended up with the money and imprisoned her unworthy suitors in trunks in the attic (as a way of explaining the pop-up ghosts in the Disneyland mansion))...

Dang. Now there is a better idea. And I think fits the Disney brand better for what they are doing to have it on Disney Plus.

They could still do the retirement ghosts it has become properly in a series, and each episode focus on one of the 999 even if they never finish them. Some being humorous, some being darker episodes. Some more mystery.
That's my pitch anyway. But I tend to not be of this modern realm.

FigmentJedi

At this point, it's time for the Mansion to go to animation. Hell, it could even be another opportunity for something with Del Toro's involvement given his plans to move into the medium full time. Personally, I'd like to see something contracted out to Cinema Fantasma in Mexico whether it be a full film or even something like a short within a Mansion equivalent to the Star Wars Visions anthology series. Their original series (which is soon to get a movie prequel) Frankelda is very much in the spirit of the Mansion.

celluloid

At this point, it's time for the Mansion to go to animation. Hell, it could even be another opportunity for something with Del Toro's involvement given his plans to move into the medium full time. Personally, I'd like to see something contracted out to Cinema Fantasma in Mexico whether it be a full film or even something like a short within a Mansion equivalent to the Star Wars Visions anthology series. Their original series (which is soon to get a movie prequel) Frankelda is very much in the spirit of the Mansion.

Also a great idea. The Marc Davis and Rolly crump designs would translate so well anyway. After all the classic Disney parks style was always Characterization like a real life toon.

JD80

"Hatbox Ghost installation causes massive controversy" wasn't something I ever expected to happen. This seemed like the only thing they had on the horizon everyone would be fine with. These people really do manage to screw up literally everything they touch.

It was going to be a "massive" controversy no matter what.

celluloid

It was going to be a "massive" controversy no matter what.
Nah. People wanted it. Not as badly as Disneyland.

But they literally broke the one semblance of ghosts rules and pacing HM had in its experience. It's not general public spread, but it is like changes in Marvel from source material. People still.may.go see it. But it diminishes the experience for a number of people too.

It would be like fixing the Yeti. Fans can get excited about a new yeti that works,
But they put him in the temple lift hill. It is cool, but odd when his perch is now empty. And steals some of the climax.

JD80

Nah. People wanted it. Not as badly as Disneyland.

But they literally broke the one semblance of ghosts rules and pacing HM had in its experience. It's not general public spread, but it is like changes in Marvel from source material. People still.may.go see it. But it diminishes the experience for a number of people too.

It would be like fixing the Yeti. Fans can get excited about a new yeti that works,
But they put him in the temple lift hill. It is cool, but odd when his perch is now empty. And steals some of the climax.

I always viewed HM as a non-linear vignette of scenes as you travelled through a haunted mansion. Everything was happening all the time, you just passed through it. So while I respect people's opinions and the stories they followed or invented with the attraction, I don't necessarily agree that anything is "broken" with the addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom