Hat Box Ghost returns

TP2000

Last Fall, Al Lutz of MiceChat announced that the Hatbox Ghost would return in January of 2010, immediately after HMH. So much for that...

I'll believe it when I see it.

But that old info from October, 2009 actually plays into exactly the info that Al Lutz followed up with in January, 2010 and was just announced at D23 at Disneyland yesterday.

Al came back in January, 2010 with more info saying that original plan to install Hatbox Ghost in January had been postponed since TDA decided to put more money into Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy to beef up the digital projections on the exterior of the dome. (Those exterior dome projections were a real hit, so it seemed liked the right decision was made)

Al Lutz said at that time (last winter) that the Hatbox Ghost was still moving forward, but would need to wait until the next fiscal year in 2011 to secure the proper budget.

And now Disney's fiscal year 2011 begins next week, and yesterday at D23 they announced plans to install the Hatbox Ghost at Disneyland very soon. Al Lutz appears to be more correct than you may believe. :eek:

fitzy2004

Call me crazy but if the "Hat box Ghost" was never in Disney World's Haunted Mansion, why would anyone expect it to be placed in it now? It has history in Disneyland which is why so many people want it back. Just sayin'

TP2000

Call me crazy but if the "Hat box Ghost" was never in Disney World's Haunted Mansion, why would anyone expect it to be placed in it now? It has history in Disneyland which is why so many people want it back. Just sayin'

Valid point. It was never in WDW's version. The Hatbox Ghost is a Californian, and he never made a trip to Florida.

But the new Haunted Mansion movie in development uses the Hatbox Ghost as a major character, so there will be a point of reference to use for WDW too.

However, it's pretty much assumed he'll show up in Disneyland first, perhaps in January once Haunted Mansion Holiday is removed.

LucyintheSky

I seem to remember reading (though I don't know where) that a second Hatbox Ghost figure was made for WDW's mansion, but never installed, since the 1st one didn't work. So, if they'd intended him to go in both in the first place, I see no reason he shouldn't be in both now.

JustInTime

I seem to remember reading (though I don't know where) that a second Hatbox Ghost figure was made for WDW's mansion, but never installed, since the 1st one didn't work. So, if they'd intended him to go in both in the first place, I see no reason he shouldn't be in both now.

I can see that considering most of the AA's were directly cloned.

Sosai X

Here's an update from the source of the rumour..

the guy who posted the original post that started all these posts said:
It was a vague reference by two imagineers at yesterday's Destination D event. They were talking about the old Haunted Mansion album cover and the lone public reference to the Hatbox Ghost. Then one of them said "Which will be coming back soon.". Another said "Thats the buzz.".

So there is NO official statement about Hattie's return. So the rumours of his return are just ghosts as well.

jt04

It sounds to me like the second imagineer tried to cover his friend's slip up.

Agreed.

I would think that they would also be working with the producers of the new movie to make sure the design chosen for the mansions is that which will be used in the movie. That could be delaying things right there.

BrerFrog

Agreed.

I would think that they would also be working with the producers of the new movie to make sure the design chosen for the mansions is that which will be used in the movie. That could be delaying things right there.

Good point!

Ever since the old days when Walt was around the parks have always been used to advertise the animations and movies produced by the company, and this is too good of an opportunity to pass. I would even say it is a very rare chance for WDI and TDO to do blatant advertisement on a classic ride without making fans go completely mad.

Dizmentia

Valid point. It was never in WDW's version. The Hatbox Ghost is a Californian, and he never made a trip to Florida.

But the new Haunted Mansion movie in development uses the Hatbox Ghost as a major character, so there will be a point of reference to use for WDW too.

However, it's pretty much assumed he'll show up in Disneyland first, perhaps in January once Haunted Mansion Holiday is removed.

The Hatbox Ghost may have never been in the Walt Disney World version, but since Disney was planning the Florida version when they built the California version, they "built two of everything" from the start (so the story goes). So, I guess they must have made two Hatbox Ghosts, too. Maybe the Florida version is in someone's living room these days.

WDWFigment

I would tend to agree with those thinking this will occur once a design for the film's HBG is finalized. Since it will tie in with the film, I think this is more a matter of "when" rather than "if", even though this has become one of those persistent rumors that seems like it'll never come to fruition. I think now with the film featuring the HBG, it's a foregone conclusion that it'll be happening.

On a bit of an unrelated note, I don't know why so many around here insist upon pointing to faults in Al Lutz's track record whenever they can. For Disneyland, he probably has the best track record of any insider. Sure, he's a jackass with regard to WDW, and I think many people here dislike him because of that, but just because you dislike him doesn't mean he has poor connections. Him being a jackass is mutually exclusive from him being well-connected.

rodserling27

I don't quite understand the hoopla over the Hat box Ghost. Was it REALLY that cool of an addition to the original incarnation of the Haunted Mansion? Or are we blowing it out of context, as we hardcore fans tend to do? :)

dreamfinder

I don't quite understand the hoopla over the Hat box Ghost. Was it REALLY that cool of an addition to the original incarnation of the Haunted Mansion? Or are we blowing it out of context, as we hardcore fans tend to do? :)

I think its a bit of both. At the time, it was supposed to be a phenomenal effect, they just couldn't get it to work right. Now, it may be a seen as a bit cheesy. But look at EO. By all accounts, looking back at that, it's not that cool, and has a bit of 80's cheese. But the hardcore fans think it was awesome. Same type of thing.

Zac Skellington

I'd been reserving my first post to thank Martin for his hard work on his videos, so... Thank You, Martin... Much appreciated!!!

Anyway... Wasn't the HBG and it's effect supposed to work in conjunction with the beating heart of the attic bride? Hasn't the HM refurb, (and the backstory of the bride being fattened up with her name, wedding photos with the 3 husbands, and her own new effects), made the original incarnation of the HBG unnecessary?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom