Hat Box Ghost returns

I'd been reserving my first post to thank Martin for his hard work on his videos, so... Thank You, Martin... Much appreciated!!!

Anyway... Wasn't the HBG and it's effect supposed to work in conjunction with the beating heart of the attic bride? Hasn't the HM refurb, (and the backstory of the bride being fattened up with her name, wedding photos with the 3 husbands, and her own new effects), made the original incarnation of the HBG unnecessary?

Hmm... good point. Besides; there isn't too much room in WDW's attic anymore with the new scene, is there? I've only been on the Disneyland Haunted Mansion once, but is the original bride still there?

(And yes, Martin's videos are SUPER AWESOME!!!)

imagineer boy

I don't quite understand the hoopla over the Hat box Ghost. Was it REALLY that cool of an addition to the original incarnation of the Haunted Mansion? Or are we blowing it out of context, as we hardcore fans tend to do? :)

Well he's certainly a really cool looking character. Probably the most sinister looking character created for the mansion.

rodserling27

I think its a bit of both. At the time, it was supposed to be a phenomenal effect, they just couldn't get it to work right. Now, it may be a seen as a bit cheesy. But look at EO. By all accounts, looking back at that, it's not that cool, and has a bit of 80's cheese. But the hardcore fans think it was awesome. Same type of thing.
Ahhhh, ok. Makes sense to me. Thanks :)
Well he's certainly a really cool looking character. Probably the most sinister looking character created for the mansion.

Yeah he's pretty creepy looking. I'll definitely be wanting to check him out if/when they put him in either Haunted Mansions.

rodserling27

Perhaps they could just bring him in, and just forget the effect. Just having him there would be cool.

Perhaps they could find some new-fangled way to get the effect to work, in this day and age of technological amazingness! But I agree that leaving him there would be cool, he is one creepy mother trucker!

grumpys kid

hat box ghost.......

I was told the reason for the hoopla with the hat box ghost is because Benicio Del Torro turned down the Hobbit, and wants to do his own version of haunted mansion with the hatbox ghost as the central character........:D

sublimesting

How hard can this possibly be with today's technology? How much could it possibly cost to make ONE figure? How much space will it require? Very little. i fail to see how this is not done already.

dreamfinder

How hard can this possibly be with today's technology? How much could it possibly cost to make ONE figure? How much space will it require? Very little. i fail to see how this is not done already.

Ever try to make something 3d appear to be there, and then not? It's a different beast than making something 2d appear/disappear. 2d can rely on lenticular, digital, etc. But 3d? Different. Especially when you are up close. And having to do it thousands of times a day. I believe it was supposed to be instantaneous. Not a gradual disappearing. And the hatbox wasn't supposed to be much bigger than his head. Admittedly you can use the back half of it to hide the head, but to make it appear pretty much out of thin air? Not so easy. Spinning head? Fiberoptics? Fancy lighting? Most of the low end parlor tricks used in the rest of the mansion really won't work in this setting, hence one of the reasons why it has been gone for so long.

gerryu21220

Ever try to make something 3d appear to be there, and then not? It's a different beast than making something 2d appear/disappear. 2d can rely on lenticular, digital, etc. But 3d? Different. Especially when you are up close. And having to do it thousands of times a day. I believe it was supposed to be instantaneous. Not a gradual disappearing. And the hatbox wasn't supposed to be much bigger than his head. Admittedly you can use the back half of it to hide the head, but to make it appear pretty much out of thin air? Not so easy. Spinning head? Fiberoptics? Fancy lighting? Most of the low end parlor tricks used in the rest of the mansion really won't work in this setting, hence one of the reasons why it has been gone for so long.

The original effect was done purely with lighting and a special type of fluorescent paint. It worked in testing, but when installed in the attraction, his head on his shoulders didn't disappear completely due to all the ambient light in the attic scene. The head in the hatbox did work well, as the hatbox was made of scrim material, so when the light was out, you couldn't see it. The figure was also placed too closely to the Doombuggy track.

Both original figures were reported to have been dismantled. It was also reported by Al Lutz that the new figure(s) has/have already been built. The latest rumor prior to this was that they're planning on waiting until this new film comes out so they can make the figures look like the one in the upcoming film. Personally, I hope they just go with an exact replica of the Blaine Gibson head, and not worry about if the movie HBG looks a little different.

The other issue is what will happen to Chatty Connie? If she remains where she is, she will still be casting off quite a bit of ambient light, which may or may not impact the new HBG, depending on what technology is being used this time. They can't put her back in the original bride's position, unless they plan to move the piano. Also, Connie doesn't have the glowing, beating heart that is supposed to be synched with HBG. What will they do about that aspect? I hope the get rid of her altogether and restore the Attic back to the original, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

In any case, I just want him to come back. That was the biggest disappointment when I finally got to go on the ride and there was no Hatbox Ghost as described in the original record album. (Well, that and the fact that the facade was completely different with no logical explanation. What did I know or care about theming way back when? I just wanted to go inside the Mansion that was shown on the album cover!)

hemloc

I was told the reason for the hoopla with the hat box ghost is because Benicio Del Torro turned down the Hobbit, and wants to do his own version of haunted mansion with the hatbox ghost as the central character........:D

Er... I'm sure you meant Guillermo, lol??

StageFrenzy

I think its a bit of both. At the time, it was supposed to be a phenomenal effect, they just couldn't get it to work right. Now, it may be a seen as a bit cheesy. But look at EO. By all accounts, looking back at that, it's not that cool, and has a bit of 80's cheese. But the hardcore fans think it was awesome. Same type of thing.

But its from the 70's

raven

Not sure how this HBG is going to fit into the storyline of the new attic scene. It would make more sense in the graveyard now.

jt04

Not sure how this HBG is going to fit into the storyline of the new attic scene. It would make more sense in the graveyard now.

Agreed, the attic scene works well so perhaps they will find a different location for HBG.

Graveyard makes sense.

gerryu21220

Agreed, the attic scene works well so perhaps they will find a different location for HBG.

Graveyard makes sense.

The attic scene works well? First time hearing that one (for me, anyhow). Don't know a whole lot of people that like it. Chatty Connie is neither scary nor funny nor even mildly interesting in her current form. She is the one that doesn't fit in.

If they would just go back to the original storyline of the attic scene, then he'll fit back in perfectly. (Hey, I can dream!)

jt04

The attic scene works well? First time hearing that one (for me, anyhow). Don't know a whole lot of people that like it. Chatty Connie is neither scary nor funny nor even mildly interesting in her current form. She is the one that doesn't fit in.

If they would just go back to the original storyline of the attic scene, then he'll fit back in perfectly. (Hey, I can dream!)

Well I think the movie could have some fairly major impacts on all the mansions.

By the way, could it be that Disney has had some conceptual designs for the movie for some time now and that the movie will feature the new staircase scene as a part of the plot? I have to say that when I saw the new staircase the first time I sincerely felt there was much more to the motivation for its design and installation.

dreamfinder

The original effect was done purely with lighting and a special type of fluorescent paint. It worked in testing, but when installed in the attraction, his head on his shoulders didn't disappear completely due to all the ambient light in the attic scene. The head in the hatbox did work well, as the hatbox was made of scrim material, so when the light was out, you couldn't see it. The figure was also placed too closely to the Doombuggy track.

That was kind of what I was implying. I didn't realize they had much room to relocate the original. My HM lore is a bit rusty, I just knew that from some of the lighting, you could still see his face when it was supposed to be hidden.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom