Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Decline is easily explained by the botching by Disney of the opening of rise of resistance. I think that’s a well know concept
So one ride is the entire thing, huh?

That’s awesome for Disney...I’m expecting tens of thousands of new customers out front and for years once that masterpiece opens, right?

I’m just glad it’s not prices that have become too high and awful Star Wars...phewww 😗
the CFO is always wrong on an earnings conference call. Another troll.
That cfo did not give you attendance figures...do you think nobody has noticed that little “error”?

ChipNDale79

Lol. Love the trolls on this site. God forbid you have a differing opinion of the trolls on the site Facts are hard to ignore. If you’re so smart, why don’t you tell us all how many people visited each year for the last 20?
I personally wish you would chill out on the personal attacks. I’m sorry you disagree with people here, but that’s no reason to talk to people the way you have.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with differing opinions.

21stamps

I didn’t vote.. mainly because I haven’t been to Disney since Nov 2017, I don’t plan on going in 2019 either. Not due to prices, just that my kid is older now and there’s so many places to visit... combined with sports which have put a severe dent in our times when we actually can travel.

My parents are taking my child and his cousins on a surprise trip around Easter.. my sister and bro in law decided to go too.
Somehow my sister has now convinced my parents to stay in 2 Family Suites at AoA.. based on one of her friend’s recommendations..and the stupid skyway thing. None of them have ever stayed there in the past.

Personally, I’m trying my best to talk them out of their current accommodations. I was in shock when I saw the prices. VALUE is what’s important to me. I see more value in a monorail resort, or even WL, than I do in an imo-ridiculously-priced-AoA family suite. I think they’re going to regret it.

Value doesn’t have a monetary number.. it’s what someone believes is the best fit for them. Whether that be a hotel or a viewing party, or one of the other paid for extra hours/parties.. I think a lot of people forget that. What’s ‘wasteful’ to you is important to someone else.. and vice versa.

Anyway, to each their own. Unless it’s my sister/parents.. then I’ll do my best to help them see a wrong decision, and change accordingly. ;)

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
When looking at my bank statements I see my yearly trips have crept up 40%+ since my 2015 trip with a similar itinerary and experience. Charts, reports or statistics are not 100% reliable (you wanna double down with some Disney giftcards anyone?) so my feeble perception will have to do, lol.

jimbaker84

We haven't been to WDW for the last couple of years, mainly because we've had other things to do but also partially because of cost increases and the disheveled state of the parks due to construction. Since 2010 duration of our stays at WDW shrank from 14 days to 10 days and finally 7 days for our last visit in 2017 with the amount being spent increasing, so I've definitely found that my Dollars/Pounds aren't going anywhere near as far.

Edit - Should've mentioned that the amount of organisation required to plan a WDW vacation is also quite annoying. Who really knows what attractions/dining options you will fancy 60, 90 or 180 days out.

Even with all of the above issues, i would still be well hyped if i were going tomorrow.

Last edited:

bUU

And yet here you are yet again, going after anyone who dares express a sentiment different from your own.
No. You're wrong. I'm not "going after anyone who dares express a sentiment different from your own". I'm highlighting someone who posted deceptive comments presenting their personal preferences as if they were business analysis.

“A poster.” There’s over 108,000 of them on this forum. Fairly small sample size there....
Yet only 268 voted in this poll and even fewer posted in this thread. Beyond that, my comments are directed solely at that small cabal of posters who grievously present their personal preferences as if they were business analysis. It may seem to you to be a large portion of the entire membership, but that's simply not true. Perhaps it seems that way because those who do so have previously been so adept at browbeating away others who don't help contribute to the acidic frenzy.

Last edited:

bUU

In what world is 80K upper class? Heck I live in the poorest state in the country and wouldn't consider 80k upper class... even in the poorest county/city in the state.
I believe PixarPerfect was referring to single-person households. A single-person households earning $80,000 a year is indeed upper class, as PixarPerfect indicated, as the term is defined by practically every legitimate polling group.

Here how much household income you'd need to have made in 2018 to be deemed "upper class":
Household of one: Minimum of $78,281
Household of two: Minimum of $110,706
Household of three: Minimum of $135,586
Household of four: Minimum of $156,561
Household of five: Minimum of $175,041

It is very common for upper class people to be shocked and in complete denial about their privileged status in our society. They feel that they're struggling, but they don't consider how much more other people (such as the average American, who earns half as much as they earn) struggle.

bUU

So, I'm not crazy when I seem to remember things being considerably less expensive.
Still, you're buying into deceptive information. Yes: Prices for discretionary purchases of all types has increased as the longest economic recovery in history has continued. However, $2800 in 2008 adjusted for inflation is $3,403.27, so if the two trips are actually "the same exact trip" as claimed, the increase is only $1,100 - which again is not surprising given that we're talking about a discretionary purchase rather than a life essential, and we're talking about a ten-year economic expansion and recovery, and discretionary purchases always increase in price in excess of the rate of inflation during economic expansions and recoveries. I don't have hard numbers for 2008 handy, but since 1985, at least, the cost of higher education has increased more than 538% and medical costs have increased more than 286% - and arguably those are both life essentials.

bUU

We pay more and actually get less time in the parks. I believe people are starting to notice those things.
Except people have been "noticing those things" (in online forums) for four decades, and yet the parks get more and more popular and more and more crowded, decade-over-decade.

bUU

You wanna calm down for a second and ease off the sass? I get it you don't like what i have to say, and its ok to disagree.
Some feel that this should be a bash-Disney-only zone, and your injecting facts and reality into the discussion is horrendous in their eyes.

It's ok to have a different opinion.
You're being generous: You presented what is as close to facts as can be obtained; you were attacked with opinions - really, you were attacked with nothing but knee-jerk reaction.

Goofyernmost

I didn’t vote.. mainly because I haven’t been to Disney since Nov 2017, I don’t plan on going in 2019 either. Not due to prices, just that my kid is older now and there’s so many places to visit... combined with sports which have put a severe dent in our times when we actually can travel.

My parents are taking my child and his cousins on a surprise trip around Easter.. my sister and bro in law decided to go too.
Somehow my sister has now convinced my parents to stay in 2 Family Suites at AoA.. based on one of her friend’s recommendations..and the stupid skyway thing. None of them have ever stayed there in the past.

Personally, I’m trying my best to talk them out of their current accommodations. I was in shock when I saw the prices. VALUE is what’s important to me. I see more value in a monorail resort, or even WL, than I do in an imo-ridiculously-priced-AoA family suite. I think they’re going to regret it.

Value doesn’t have a monetary number.. it’s what someone believes is the best fit for them. Whether that be a hotel or a viewing party, or one of the other paid for extra hours/parties.. I think a lot of people forget that. What’s ‘wasteful’ to you is important to someone else.. and vice versa.

Anyway, to each their own. Unless it’s my sister/parents.. then I’ll do my best to help them see a wrong decision, and change accordingly. ;)
An important thing you have mentioned and I highlighted is perhaps, that is what is best for THEM. You aren't going so why are you creating a problem that doesn't exist. Just saying! I'd stay at those places just for the Gondola's alone. The monorails are cool, but to old to be an incentive anymore. Since I don't have a financial stake in this, I would just let them do what they want. It's hardly like being held in a prison cell. Have your say as an adviser, then let them make the decision that is not your's to make.

mdcpr

Excellent info Perspective.

Though we yanks are flabbergasted - generally speaking - when anyone talks about “budgeting” for a 18,000 dollar/pound vacation...

Those that do that have no money concerns here and would probably not speak of it. Americans are not permitted to have fun on that level unless you live in excess. We build vacation spots and are discouraged from enjoying them.

We have it wrong 🤔
You don't have to live in excess to splurge on a holiday. My strategy--and I learned that from my parents--is not to waste money and save for when you travel so you don't have to 'budget' anything, and miss on a good thing.

Goofyernmost

I checked off "We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go", but with a modification.

I do not splurge anymore. I spend very carefully, stay offsite, do not do any thing that is now called an up-charge that used to be part of the gate fee. About 95% of the money I spend on Disney property is the admission ticket. I don't buy the souvenirs, with very few exceptions I will only use the counter service food areas and a few snacks. Main meals are restaurants offsite** (no ressie's required), I go to the garish gift shops offsite where the T shirt I saw onsite for close to $30 I will buy for $14. Same shirt, (even has the official Disney label). The days are gone where I will just let them lift me by my ankles and shake me until all my money falls out of my pockets and they can scrape it all up for themselves. I love the parks and feel that for an all day experience the price is high but the return is good. Hours of entertainment doesn't come cheap. However, the days of just blindly throwing my money at Disney are over.
Traveling with my Sister, her desire and my curiosity caused me to have breakfast at Be Our Guest where two poached eggs on a croissant, with a couple of pastries and tea cost $30. each. On top of that we had to go collect out own utensils. Makes those all you can eat, breakfast buffets offsite for $8. seem like striking it rich. It's a very expensive ambiance we pay for.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No. You're wrong. I'm not "going after anyone who dares express a sentiment different from your own". I'm highlighting someone who posted deceptive comments presenting their personal preferences as if they were business analysis.

Yet only 268 voted in this poll and even fewer posted in this thread. Beyond that, my comments are directed solely at that small cabal of posters who grievously present their personal preferences as if they were business analysis. It may seem to you to be a large portion of the entire membership, but that's simply not true. Perhaps it seems that way because those who do so have previously been so adept at browbeating away others who don't help contribute to the acidic frenzy.
Or, it could be that someone who insists on excoriating anyone who disagrees with him finds themselves in the middle of arguments. Put another way, if you feel like you’re surrounded by prats, you may actually be the prat....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You don't have to live in excess to splurge on a holiday. My strategy--and I learned that from my parents--is not to waste money and save for when you travel so you don't have to 'budget' anything, and miss on a good thing.
I wasn’t sharing a personal anecdote...merely pointing out how rare it is for Americans without great wealth to spend $15,000 on a two week vacation...certainly not yearly. Just a cultural difference.

eliza61nyc

I checked off "We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go", but with a modification.

I do not splurge anymore. I spend very carefully, stay offsite, do not do any thing that is now called an up-charge that used to be part of the gate fee. About 95% of the money I spend on Disney property is the admission ticket. I don't buy the souvenirs, with very few exceptions I will only use the counter service food areas and a few snacks. Main meals are offsite** (no ressie's required), I go to the garish gift shops offsite where the T shirt I saw onsite for close to $30 I will buy for $14. Same shirt, (even has the official Disney label). The days are gone where I will just let them lift me by my ankles and shake me until all my money falls out of my pockets and they can scrape it all up for themselves. I love the parks and feel that for an all day experience the price is high but the return is good. Hours of entertainment doesn't come cheap. However, the days of just blindly throwing my money at Disney are over.
Traveling with my Sister, her desire and my curiosity caused me to have breakfast at Be Our Guest where two poached eggs on a croissant, with a couple of pastries and tea cost $30. each. On top of that we had to go collect out own utensils. Makes those all you can eat, breakfast buffets offsite for $8. seem like striking it rich. It's a very expensive ambiance we pay for.

I actually think that is a natural progression of those who visit the parks over the years. When we first went, lol my late husband use to say just that "wdw is the only place where you get turned upside down, have all your money shaken off of you and you sign up to do it again". Over the years though once gets a sense of what is worth their money and what is not.

Now we are a bit opposite. I'm not driving off site or ever ever ever cooking a meal in my villa. for me time is more expensive than the few dollars we save going off site. When we first went, we ate mainly in the parks for just the reason you said, "ambiance and experience". Now that my kids are older, we much prefer the resort places or Disney springs.

I think over time one just naturally becomes more selective

Lilofan

Good points in living smart long term. Middle class folks in my area are the complete opposite. Live like there is no tomorrow, paycheck to paycheck, always in debt, take frequent vacations but can't pay all their monthly bills. And 😭they can never get ahead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom