Has Disney met Half way with Epcot fans?

TrainsOfDisney

It isn't natural to be so beholden to the past that one finds insufficient the memories of what was, and insists instead that nothing new ever replaces what was. This stems from the reality that Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis (everything changes and we change along with them). Living life beholden to anything remaining static leaves you at a disadvantage when the inevitable happens. Living a more robust life means integrating change into the normality of your life.

Are you trying to show off your large vocabulary or something? Cause that really doesn’t make sense as a reply to what I wrote. For example.... Ellen needed to go.... it was painfully dated. To suggest that nothing ever be updated is crazy. But to tear out an original Epcot attraction that features an iconic Disney scene that dates back to the worlds fair... that seems like a major loss to the park.

As a side note... it was the plan during Eisner’s range that would have turned Spaceship earth into a thrill ride.... - time racers. So hey... at least we dodged that one! I’d keep spaceship earth over universe of energy anyday, even though it’s sad we lost it.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Are you trying to show off your large vocabulary or something? Cause that really doesn’t make sense as a reply to what I wrote. For example.... Ellen needed to go.... it was painfully dated. To suggest that nothing ever be updated is crazy. But to tear out an original Epcot attraction that features an iconic Disney scene that dates back to the worlds fair... that seems like a major loss to the park.

As a side note... it was the plan during Eisner’s range that would have turned Spaceship earth into a thrill ride.... - time racers. So hey... at least we dodged that one! I’d keep spaceship earth over universe of energy anyday, even though it’s sad we lost it.
They should incorporate those Dinosaurs into Spaceship Earth. Now with that new building they have the chance.

TrainsOfDisney

They should incorporate those Dinosaurs into Spaceship Earth. Now with that new building they have the chance.

Sadly, I don’t think Disney will build a show scene like that again. Maybe something in rise of resistance will be along that level? Maybe something in Guardians? I mean one would hope that huge tower won’t be just video screens.

But that scene was so perfect.... the scene at Disneyland is close to it... but the universe of energy one was even better since it was a larger space and more surrounding, and not all behind glass.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Older visitors?? they tend to reminisce about the good old days. New visitors? not so much
This statement is so true.

My parents love Epcot. They can wander around for hours. My dad is nearly 60, and my mom is in her 50s.

I'm in my twenties, and I'd rather be at any other park. Not that I don't enjoy Epcot, but it's a half day park for me. I was born in the 90s, so I never experienced original Epcot. All I've experienced is the hot mess Epcot has become. No reminiscing here. I just want to see updates and refreshes and more rides. I think a lot of people my age feel that way.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
It isn't natural to be so beholden to the past that one finds insufficient the memories of what was, and insists instead that nothing new ever replaces what was. This stems from the reality that Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis (everything changes and we change along with them). Living life beholden to anything remaining static leaves you at a disadvantage when the inevitable happens. Living a more robust life means integrating change into the normality of your life.
cool-story-bro-6.jpg

Disstevefan1

Universe of Energy deserved a proper update. It’s such a hot (pun intended) topic right now. Keep the wonderful Dino’s and update the rest of the attraction with 3D representations of energy including giant wind turbines, a large dam with rushing water, and the heat of a solar farm.

If any WDW attraction should have gotten an overlay restoration it should have been UOE! I loved that ride system! it was very cool and a people eater! While I will enjoy the Guardians attraction, in my opinion, Disney should have kept the old ride system and just updated the content.

bUU

Are you trying to show off your large vocabulary or something?
No. I'm actually educated and I use the proper words for things.

But to tear out an original Epcot attraction that features an iconic Disney scene that dates back to the worlds fair... that seems like a major loss to the park.
That's the problem with your thinking: You think comparisons only have one side. Comparisons have two sides, and to determine whether something is a "loss" or not requires comparing the two sides to each other rather than comparing one side to nothing.

And, again, many people like the way things are changing in EPCOT and therefore rate what is being added as highly as you rate what is being replaced.

TrainsOfDisney

There are many “static” non-changing things that are apart of the blueprint of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. The steam train, the riverboat, Main Street with historic vehicles, jungle cruise, Tom Sawyer Island, the Castle, Peter Pan dark ride, tea cups, dumbo.....

These are things that have remained static for 5-6 decades....

What does Epcot have? Spaceship Earth, the land, and World Showcase. I think what some of us see is the fact that Epcot has not been added to, but so much has been replaced. If test track ran on the outside of world of motion.... if the guardians ride was being built next to universe of energy.... we’d be talking about a very different expansion.

Epcot and DHS have had such a drastic challenge in the very idea of the park.

WDWTank

If any WDW attraction should have gotten an overlay restoration it should have been UOE! I loved that ride system! it was very cool and a people eater! While I will enjoy the Guardians attraction, in my opinion, Disney should have kept the old ride system and just updated the content.
That and Great Movie Ride :)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
As great as Epcot was in the 80’s to mid 90’s it was obviously a failure. Walt Disney’s Worlds Fair attractions were much more quirky and more timeless. As a start Spaceship Earth as great as it is should have never been the icon attraction, expecially in a futuristic setting, expecially when we know in less than 20 years that future would be a reality. No Epcot attraction is even near anything liek Walt Disney has designed for a futureistic Expo setting. I honestly think Caroucel of Progress and It’s a Small World should have been in the park and World of Motion as the icon attraction. There’s so many possibilities for that attraction and an endless amount of accomplishments that still have to be made. I’d even ride in a mustang up the ball like Ford Magick Skyway. Disney had his attractions right and is why the ones that survived to this day are still in operation.

ppete1975

Forget 94 i want 83 back. I was 8 and it was unbelievable. But... this new epcot wont be the same (although im excited). But part of the problem is the world has changed and i dont mean technology or the worlds fair thing.
Its hope, curiosity, and the excitement for tomorrow.
Look at the 60’s space race and tomorrowland.
The 1980s us kids were into nasa, computers, and science in general.
Today.. short attention spans and the internet, cell phones, and information at your finger tips have muted that. Im not saying people today aren’t curious, just that we have unlimited knowledge at our fingertips and we cant stop looking at them long enough to enjoy the beauty around us.

The_Jobu

Well...

This thread took an interesting turn. I feel that the logos and lip-service to epcot's original uniqueness is "better than nothing" at this point. They're going full IPmania, cant really do anything about it. At least there's a veneer of what was.

bUU

Just because you don’t agree with me doesn’t mean there is a problem with my thinking.
I wasn't talking about what we agree about and disagree about. I was talking about the logic itself: You're saying that a certain change is a "loss" without factoring in both sides of the change, what it is being replaced with as well as what is being replaced. We can agree or disagree about whether something is good or bad or better or worse, but to make an assessment based only on cherry-picking the negative aspects is ludicrous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom