Has Disney met Half way with Epcot fans?

bUU

There are many “static” non-changing things that are apart of the blueprint of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. The steam train, the riverboat, Main Street with historic vehicles, jungle cruise, Tom Sawyer Island, the Castle, Peter Pan dark ride, tea cups, dumbo.....
Everything is static until it isn't. It is self-limiting to become beholden to even the steam train or riverboat - either could be replaced with something else if it serves new storytelling.

What does Epcot have? Spaceship Earth, the land, and World Showcase.
So three things as opposed to Magic Kingdom's two things? I'm sure that that wasn't your point, but my point is that there are some things in both parks that haven't changed (yet) and other things that have (already) changed. Same-same.

I suspect that the very last remnant of the original iteration of the original park will be retained, just to stroke the chord that generates revenue from the "Est. 1971" thing. What that will be, I'm not sure, but I think the castle is more likely to remain static than the steam train or the riverboat.

TrainsOfDisney

Everything is static until it isn't. It is self-limiting to become beholden to even the steam train or riverboat - either could be replaced with something else if it serves new storytelling.

And one only needs to look to Shanghai for proof. Building a Castle park without a train, which is what inspired Walt to build Disneyland.... is just proof that times are changing! I was just saying there are many items in the original castle parks that have remained stationary.... actually joe Rhode has a great quote on this subject... let me see if I can find it....

“The real world is brutally amoral and relentless in its rate of destruction and replacement. There are few refuges from this assault. Theme parks, at their best, can be such places, secular though they are. People step out of the chaos and into an ordered ceremonial world where time is arrested. Beloved important moments are re-enacted in a space that is outside of history. That’s why it’s such a shock when time intrudes, either with changes, or with new events that are too anchored in contemporary relevance. Trends are part of the time-bound world of change. They violate the sanctity of the world of the Eternal Return. The creative challenge is not exactly innovation. It is the re-expression of timeless values made new again.” - Joe Rhode

bUU

And the most critical phrase in Joe's comment is “made new again”. Joe, above most others, understands that his gift is his gift to make the timeless new again: Just like he took the story of the Yeti and renewed it in Expedition Everest, he'll take the stories of the Bahamas and renew them on Lighthouse Point in a way that Disney's guests will enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom