Has DINOSAUR been toned down again?

SoFlaDisneyFan

Original Poster
After preview riding Everest several times, my girlfriend and I headed over to our all time Animal Kingdom favorite, Dinosaur, and took about 3-4 spins around the Cretaceous Period. Knowing full well that Dinosaur is a toned down version of its original CTX glory, we were shocked and upset to see that some of the still remaining intense scenes have also been toned. I am speaking of the second encounter with the Carnosaur (however you spell his name). Where the once ferocious beast charged your vehicle from the thicket of trees and shrubs, he now stands stil in full view as your ride vehicle approaches, his legs running in place as if on a dino-treadmill. Hoping that the sudden encounter was a ride mishap, we took a few more spins to verify what we had seen. Sure enough, as we rounded the corner, there he was, already charged, the missing backside of his body clearly visible in the dim lighting.

I truly hope this is not another softening of an already softened ride. I know many fans are not wild about Dinosaur, but I believe it to be an amazing dark ride, and I enjoy it several times over each time I visit Animal Kingdom. Heck, I found Dinosaur ten times more enjoyable and thrilling than all of Everest, but that's another story. All in all, I just wanted to point this little factor out to fellow Dinosaur fans, hoping someone here can shed some light onto what has happened. I know it's not a big deal, but the charging effect was perfect psychological perception. Having the feeling that the charging monster was about to tear me from my seat was always a favorite moment for me. Ugh, if they continue to mess with this classic dark ride they might as well throw in an Ellen AA and call it a day.:hammer:

I want to be scared again!

CrashNet

Yeah, that was broken the last time I rode it as well at the beginning of January. I'm pretty positive that's a mechanical failure and not a toned down portion of the ride. If it had been toned down, they probably would have adjusted the lighting or added the tail to his body.

goofyfan13

I don't think it'll be permanent, maybe the device that moves the animatronic broke down and they are still working on fixing it, cause it's been about 1-1.5 months that it hasn't been "running" at the car. So it hasn't been inoperative for that long relatively speaking. Hopefully it will be fixed soon though.

At least you didn't go on it when they were fixing the first carnotaur, now the ride was really tamed down then. :lol:

Halfling418

I knew it felt different!!! That's one of my favorites....and I went on it when it was new. I thought it was much scarier before....complete and total darkness, and then the carnotaur bursts out at you! That's really very depressing that they've changed it. :(

Brando1188

it wasn't when I went on this weekend either.

I'm sure they are going to fix it.

---

Kinda off topic but what differences were done to "dumb down" countdown to extinction. when it was changed to dinosaur?

sillyspook13

Whenever an anamatronic in Dinosaur isn't working it's typically kept in a show-ready pose like you saw with the carnotaur. This isn't a result of the ride being toned down.

When Countdown to Extinction was switched to Dinosaur it was toned down by making it less rough and a little slower. This was to lower the height requirement by a few inches because Dinosaur was to be both a "family" movie and a "family" ride.

peter11435

jmicro59 said:
Doesn't mean it is, either.
I would say it is. And I would say that since the only people I have ever seen talk negative about it are disney fans comparing it to Indy. Otherwise the majority of guests love the ride.

ToTBellHop

It breaks a LOT. I have ridden it on three different days during a week and had the dino work on the first and last day but not the middle one...it happens. Disney does not turn off animatronics to tone down rides. Do you know how much that dino cost?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom