Has anyone ever done a last minute trip?

Alexx

Well the title pretty much explains it all, has anyone done a LAST MINUTE trip for example booked everything and then went say the next month/week or even in the next couple of days after booking.

I'm hoping to save up some money and just do a last minute trip cause due to college and university i'm not sure when I will be able to go again.

If you've done one can you explain what it was like, did you have to budget?
How long did you go for? Anything else you think is relevant.

zurgandfriend

The quickest time for me was when on a Memorial day weekend out of the blue my dear wife said "let's go to Walt Disney World for vacation this summer."

On Monday morning I called and arranged everything, resort, airlines, ADRs for the end of August.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have actually reserved rooms, dining, etc on the 2.5 hour drive down to WDW. The trips were typically just one or two night stays. Budget was fairly flexible but far from unlimited. We would start at the value resorts and work our way up based on availability. The main thing you have to do is be flexible. If you are looking at a trip a month out you might not be able to get all of the dining you want or that MK view room in the tower at the Contemporary but you should be able to find something. About the worst thing about last minute trips would be airfare.

Upvote 0

cowanfamily

Two years ago I got some unexpected money in the mail. This was at 3 in the afternoon. Within 12 hours I was in my car driving the 6 and 1/2 hours to WDW. Doing a spontaneous trip was incredible. However, you won't find any deals if you stay on property. (I only stay on property) I didn't have to worry about plane tickets either. The trip itself was incredible. We told no one about it until we got there. Overall it was an awesome experience. We made no plans and no ADR's. We just went with the flow!

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

I just booked my trip for June 6th thru June 10th yesterday morning. Our beach vacation fell thru this year, so I booked another trip to WDW. We just went last summer but my kids don't care, they'd be happy to go to WDW every year if I so chose.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Two years ago I got some unexpected money in the mail. This was at 3 in the afternoon. Within 12 hours I was in my car driving the 6 and 1/2 hours to WDW. Doing a spontaneous trip was incredible. However, you won't find any deals if you stay on property. (I only stay on property) I didn't have to worry about plane tickets either. The trip itself was incredible. We told no one about it until we got there. Overall it was an awesome experience. We made no plans and no ADR's. We just went with the flow!
Actually you can but it is really hit or miss. If you are a Florida resident and/or an AP holder your chances go up significantly.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Last June I booked on the computer on a Tuesday night for arrival on that Sunday with my AP discount and got a discounted room without a problem. Last September we arrived a day earlier than expected with our RV and called from a rest stop on 95 about 2 hours away and we were checked in and set up before 11:30 a.m.; again, with our AP discount. We decided to extend our trip this year by a day, so a couple of weeks ago I called and got an extra day at the beginning of our trip at FWC on Memorial Day weekend no less. If you ask me I have either been very lucky or the room ressie people are very, very good at their jobs!

Upvote 0

Hot4Hudgens

I just mentioned this in a separate thread. I booked a trip in December a few years back on a Sunday and was there the following Friday morning. I usually give myself a month & 1/2 or so to work when planning to go to WDW, but I had stumbled upon a few extra vacation days at work and needed to burn them off. Figured that'd be a good way to do just that. Booked my stay at AS-Movies with no problems.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Yep we have, just last August we decided to do a long weekend in Disney about a month out... We got the resort we wanted, the dining reservations we wanted and really cheap airfare too!

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

we live 2 1/2 hours north of wdw so last minute trips have been more the norm for us over the years. we've done everything from one day trips 7 day trips with as little as literally 1 day before deciding to just go to up to a month. we actually ran into this this year...my sisters and i have an all sisters trip this coming november we booked in february then 2 weeks ago several family members told us they'd be in orlando over memorial day weekend so this week we booked a room for one night so we'll spend the 2 days with them in a little family reunion.

Upvote 0

Bri1121

Once in the beginning of December (2008) a few friends of mine were saying how they were going to Disney around New Years and getting these great deals! I was like why I am missing out! So I went online and booked our trip. We got great airfare- traveling on New Years Day, a decent price on a room and 5 park hoppers for the price of 3! I worked with an awesome CM who got us into some great meals and few nights we just went with the flow! Best of all it was a complete surprise for my DH and kids. I surprised them on Christmas morning! Best Christmas!!

My mom knew all along so she gave us spending money as our Christmas present!!

You definitely need to have some money to spend on food and souvenirs.

Upvote 0

Minnie1976

We decided to go April 1st and arrived at Disney April 2nd. Husband booked room at POP and tickets, but we couldn't get the meal plan. We drove no time to get a good price on plane tickets. That's was the fastest we have ever done a trip. We were able to get reservations where we wanted them, but no itinerary like we usually have. We had a great time.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I've never done this, but have always wanted to.

If you just "show up" without a reservation at a resort with an AP, can you get the available room discounts, or will you pay rack?

Upvote 0
We I lived in Tallahassee, we'd sometimes wake up on a Saturday morning and drive down, even though it's a 4.5 hour drive. Now that I'm in NC, the most spontaneous I've been is about 3 weeks. I love hearing about people just dropping everything and going, though.

Upvote 0

scm200

Booked in April for May within 45 day window for package we leave we'd am for 6 nights at pofq with quick dining, last weekend of flower show and cars weekend...:D

Upvote 0

Minnie1976

I've never done this, but have always wanted to.

If you just "show up" without a reservation at a resort with an AP, can you get the available room discounts, or will you pay rack?
Years ago when Disney had the radio station you could tune into on property, they would announce where they had rooms for the night on Disney property. I sure miss that radio station. It was so exciting getting on property and tuning in to it.

Upvote 0

jduran

Actually you can but it is really hit or miss. If you are a Florida resident and/or an AP holder your chances go up significantly.

Agreed. Actually, my last trip in April was pretty much last minute. I got a great deal at CSR as a Florida resident ($142 per night) and made ADRs at the last second for La Hacienda de San Angel to have dinner and watch Illuminations. I didn't have to worry about tickets because I'm a FL Seasonal Passholder. Anyway, I think last-minute trips work best if you live within driving distance to WDW. If you gotta fly to MCO, the plane tickets alone are probably going to bust the bank. (I'm curious though if someone has done a last minute trip that includes flying.)

To be honest, I almost prefer doing things last minute as the worst party of a Disney trip for me is the WAIT. I've actually booked a room at S&D for early October, because I want to do Food & Wine, and I almost feel like saying screw it and getting into my car and going tomorrow.

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

Last summer we were in Hilton Head and decided to add two nights at Disney before driving back to PA. Booked on Tuesday, arrived on Thursday. Got a discounted room at Pop, and got same day reservations at both Kouzzina and Whispering Canyon.

Cheers,
Indy

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom