Has anyone ever done a last minute trip?

Alexx

Well the title pretty much explains it all, has anyone done a LAST MINUTE trip for example booked everything and then went say the next month/week or even in the next couple of days after booking.

I'm hoping to save up some money and just do a last minute trip cause due to college and university i'm not sure when I will be able to go again.

If you've done one can you explain what it was like, did you have to budget?
How long did you go for? Anything else you think is relevant.

a2grafix

Although not WDW, last fall I decided to take a "last minute trip" cross country to Disneyland in SoCal. I booked everything 5 weeks in advance, staying basically 3 days in Anaheim and flying late in the day to get there and taking the red eye back.

My intention was to visit California Adventure for the first time and Disneyland for the first time since June 1999. Also took a side trip to Knott's Berry Farm and to Pink's for some awesome hot dogs and chili.

It was first full week of October and 2 days before my trip I was with my family and friends - and I told no one. Tuesday morning after flying from Detroit, through Denver to Orange, got a call from mom and I told her. She was shocked to say the least.

I also got tix to Halloween Time Trick or Treat party at Disneyland just to experience Ghost Galaxy overlay of Space Mountain, and Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion holiday and the Halloween Screams fireworks show.

Strange part, maybe a blessing, a week before my trip SoCal had record heat, talking about 99-110 degree heat. The week I booked, rains came in and cooled everything down drastically. It rained for the Halloween party (light drizzle) but the weird part is that I went to WDW in October 2007 and attended Mickey's Not So Scary party, it also rained (downpoured early then stopped to a light drizzle), but it was 82 degrees at night vs. low 60s high 50s at Disneyland.

All in all stayed somewhat cheaply a mile from the resort (Travelodge), and with my connections (I work in TV and I am also ANG military), so I got some breaks. Still, would do it again - either at WDW or Disneyland. Both resorts are undergoing a transformation (WDW with Fantasyland and Cali Adventure with its re-visulaization and Carsland expansion). I missed ElecTRONica by 1 day. Also didn't test Grizzly Peak because it was 62 and rainy. World of Color was quite impressive.

I observed the slight differences between the original and WDW, from the railroad loops and stops to the ride itself (Grand Canyon and dinosaur dioramas - precursor to Universe of Energy at Epcot methinks) to Tower of Terror ride differences (Twilight Zone props - Willoughby Travel) and Soarin' queues. Also got to ride Mulholland Madness, before it closed for good a few days later.

Strange sight in Orlando and Anaheim. I visited WDW in December 2009 and when I got off the plane it was 64 and cloudy. Noticed some cast members working the Magic Express had winter coats and gloves. In October 2010 noticed some railroad castmembers in navy pea winter coats and gloves (it was 64 as well). I toally understand, both are warmer climates and I'm a Midwest boy. Just though it was interesting as I was in a sweatshirt and shorts.

Upvote 0

mets7

Last year we booked our trip in the first couple weeks of March for a mid April trip for a 7night 8 day trip and had no problems. We actually got lucky and got airfare for 148 each person round trip a month out. The only problem we had was with ADR's because we were trying to get as many character meals as possible. Also had trouble booking the Bippity Boppity for my two daughters. Had a great time.....we have booked another trip for this sept but did this one 7 months out......kinda sucks!!! having to wait...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom