Has anyone ever cooked Thanksgiving dinner (or another big dinner) in one of the Villas?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For every trip we prep, my wife and I try to figure out ways to save money. And I always remind her we have a full kitchen and can cook meals. And she always looks at me like I have three heads.

We've used the refrigerator to store leftovers. We used the dishwasher extensively when the ids still used bottles. We've used the plates to eat like human beings with dignity on the occasions I went to get stuff from the food court to eat in the room. That's it.

The main reason we get the 1BR is so we can have privacy from the kids and for the washer/dryer so we can keep doing laundry, pack less but not spend a whole chunk of the trip in the laundromat. And we always try to get BLT or AKV for the extra bathroom. If DVC ever made a unit with all of those amenities but just a kitchenette, we'd use it.

While I understand and appreciate where your wife is coming from, I look at the fully equipped kitchen and think "Why am I eating out when I've got a kitchen and I can cook!"

Yeah, I'm crazy.... :p

Amos1784

We just checked out of 10 nights in a 2 bedroom at Old Key West. While we didn't I said to my whole family as we were leaving wouldn't it have been fun to cook Thanksgiving meal here instead of going out. So if we happen to find ourselves back down there for Thanksgiving again in future years I think we will do so. The kitchen there is definitely large enough and I think would be such a fun experience to plan a non park day, sit on the balcony, cook, and watch football/play games. There are plenty of baking dishes and pots and pans. Only thing is if you were planning on making a full turkey I would say you probably would need to bring/buy a roasting pan. I think if we decided to do this we might pick up a turkey from a grocery store that is already cooked and just focus on sides/appetizers and dessert prep in the room. Only downside for me would be cooking the the electric stoves, we don't have stoves like that where I am from and it is drastically different than cooking with gas. Our biggest regret this vacation was not eating and cooking more in the room!

21stamps

I bring single serving boxes of cereals, and Zbars.. does that count?

Seriously, I’m in awe of all who have shown some great stocked kitchens and yummy meals! You’re welcome to come on vacation with me at any time... or at least the same dates and let me visit your room ;)

MagicalMaci

In the Parks
Yes
We are planning to do a belated "Christmas" dinner at a villa in a few weeks. I'm taking the easy route though - a lot of prepackaged and frozen stuff (including homemade frozen cookie dough to bake off for dessert!). Just a lot of assembly at the villa mostly. Loving some of these ideas though!

nickys

Premium Member
We are planning to do a belated "Christmas" dinner at a villa in a few weeks. I'm taking the easy route though - a lot of prepackaged and frozen stuff (including homemade frozen cookie dough to bake off for dessert!). Just a lot of assembly at the villa mostly. Loving some of these ideas though!

Take a baking sheet with you then. That's something we had to go buy when we stayed at BLT.

Edit: Or was it a cupcake tray? Well, take one anyway, then you'll have one!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Take a baking sheet with you then. That's something we had to go buy when we stayed at BLT.

Edit: Or was it a cupcake tray? Well, take one anyway, then you'll have one!

I'd go with the baking tray. While the villas are supposed to have a baking tray, sometimes it's missing. I've had rooms witbout the stopper for the sink, the lids for the glass Pyrex containers, only one metal bowl, rather than the set of three, no pitcher, etc.

carolynk

I'd go with the baking tray. While the villas are supposed to have a baking tray, sometimes it's missing. I've had rooms witbout the stopper for the sink, the lids for the glass Pyrex containers, only one metal bowl, rather than the set of three, no pitcher, etc.
We cook (and sometimes bake) several times every trip and one of the first things I do after check-in is see what's missing, make a list, and call housekeeping. It's annoying to have to do it, but if it's supposed to be in the villa, I call and ask for a replacement.

Kristamouse

We stay in offsite condos and I pack my Crock Pot. In January of 2016 we had a cold
Snap on our trip and came back freezing to the warm yummy smell of pot roast! I had microwave mashed potatoes, green beans, fresh bread and even brownies for dinner. My large family of 8 was feed with in 20 mins of entering the condo.
The crock pot is going back with us in 28 days;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
We stay in offsite condos and I pack my Crock Pot. In January of 2016 we had a cold
Snap on our trip and came back freezing to the warm yummy smell of pot roast! I had microwave mashed potatoes, green beans, fresh bread and even brownies for dinner. My large family of 8 was feed with in 20 mins of entering the condo.
The crock pot is going back with us in 28 days;)

I've considered bring my slow cooker several times. Or even my InstaPot. But I'm already bringing half my kitchen...and my vehicle can only hold so much.

Kristamouse

I've considered bring my slow cooker several times. Or even my InstaPot. But I'm already bringing half my kitchen...and my vehicle can only hold so much.
I bring a lot too! I have a few food items I made and freeze, whatever perishables left in our Fridge (usually the fruit and veggies I cut up for the drive). A few cooking utensils, spices/oil/plastic wrap/ziplock/Small dawn/dish washer packs/paper towels/glad wear for leftovers and park snacks. I also take my heavy as crap Dutch Oven because some of the skillets in the units are either small or warped. I can also use the Dutch oven to boil. With a large family (6kids) I need large vessel to hold outer protions. While Hubs is unpacking and letting the kids get energy out I run to target/Publix for our food list for the week.
We usually average one meal and snacks in the Parks’s. The rest of our meals are from the condo or take out. Breakfest is eaten in the car or waiting for rope drop. We drive a sequoia with a cargo trailer in the tow hitch, do space isn’t too bad.
What other kitchen needs do you bring?
Have a great trip

LAKid53

Premium Member
I bring a lot too! I have a few food items I made and freeze, whatever perishables left in our Fridge (usually the fruit and veggies I cut up for the drive). A few cooking utensils, spices/oil/plastic wrap/ziplock/Small dawn/dish washer packs/paper towels/glad wear for leftovers and park snacks. I also take my heavy as crap Dutch Oven because some of the skillets in the units are either small or warped. I can also use the Dutch oven to boil. With a large family (6kids) I need large vessel to hold outer protions. While Hubs is unpacking and letting the kids get energy out I run to target/Publix for our food list for the week.
We usually average one meal and snacks in the Parks’s. The rest of our meals are from the condo or take out. Breakfest is eaten in the car or waiting for rope drop. We drive a sequoia with a cargo trailer in the tow hitch, do space isn’t too bad.
What other kitchen needs do you bring?
Have a great trip

Would that heavy as crap dutch oven be from that french company? ;)

My packing list is similar to yours. Cooking utensils -spatulas, wooden spoon, wisks (small). Dish detergents/hand soaps, two fry pans - stainless & non-stick, Keurig, travel knife set, cutting board, measuring cup, filtered water pitcher, teas/coffee, salt, pepper, sugar, olive oils, paper towels & napkins, hand sanitizers, zip lock bags, foil, dish rag, sponges, spray cleaner. And a cooler packed with food for first night's dinner and breakfast - eggs, milk, butter, ok, etc., in case I can't get to Publix the first night. I have a clipboard on a book in my closet with my travel packing list I printed out. I just cross off stuff as I pack it.

And this is just when I visit by myself. I'm usually there for a week for the runDisney races. So for 3 days, I'm up at 2:30am, a quick bite, off to the races, back at my room a couple of hours later for cleanup, refueling and a short nap. Until my races are complete, I cook in my room, since the last thing I need before running a half marathon is tummy troubles from something I ate. After races are done, I'll have a celebratory dinner either in a park or Disney Springs. Along with an adult beverage..or two.

Thinking of upgrading from my Rav4 to either the Highlander or Pilot to get the bigger cargo area. Especially if a grandchild shows up this year.

I may join Owners Locker since they have a special running for DVC members. Much of what I bring is stuff I bought just for trips. I did find a small folding platform hand truck on Amazon, along with rolling bins, to make unpacking easy.

My daughter tells me I bring too much stuff. But she doesn't complain when that stuff makes bacon & eggs or steak or mom's homemade spagetti.....

nickys

Premium Member
My daughter tells me I bring too much stuff. But she doesn't complain when that stuff makes bacon & eggs or steak or mom's homemade spagetti.....

Sadly I can't bring a whole lot. US import restrictions and room being the main issues ;)

But I do bring tea bags and a small jar of marmite.

We do an order through DVC for the essentials for overnight (coffee, eggs, bacon, milk, juice, bread, butter) and get the rest from a Publix run usually the next day. Pick up salt, pepper, sugar from Contempo Cafe.

Next time we may do an order through one of the grocery services. I got a bit twitchy last time about having to fax through a copy of my passport as ID to an unsecured site - nope, not doing that thanks! We'll just do a Publix run the next day for alcohol. How do you guys provide ID for a grocery service by the way? I couldn't believe they expect people to be OK with that.

I find I can make pretty much anything using what's provided, pots and utensil wise. Your daughter does have a point! Bacon, eggs, sausages are our basic breakfast. Pasta, pizza, stir fries, sausages and mash, they're all staples in our villa, also done steak, lasagne etc. Anything quick to do ideally (30 minutes or so) :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sadly I can't bring a whole lot. US import restrictions and room being the main issues ;)

But I do bring tea bags and a small jar of marmite.

We do an order through DVC for the essentials for overnight (coffee, eggs, bacon, milk, juice, bread, butter) and get the rest from a Publix run usually the next day. Pick up salt, pepper, sugar from Contempo Cafe.

Next time we may do an order through one of the grocery services. I got a bit twitchy last time about having to fax through a copy of my passport as ID to an unsecured site - nope, not doing that thanks! We'll just do a Publix run the next day for alcohol. How do you guys provide ID for a grocery service by the way? I couldn't believe they expect people to be OK with that.

I find I can make pretty much anything using what's provided, pots and utensil wise. Your daughter does have a point! Bacon, eggs, sausages are our basic breakfast. Pasta, pizza, stir fries, sausages and mash, they're all staples in our villa, also done steak, lasagne etc. Anything quick to do ideally (30 minutes or so) :)

Since I drive, I don't preorder through places like Garden Grocers or DVC. Publix now delivers through Instacart (?). I still like to do my own shopping so I can pick out exactly what I want.

LAKid53

Premium Member
For those who bring a slow cooker with them, you can make lasagna in your slow cooker. Layer just like you would to be cooked in the oven. Best part? You don't have to cook the noodles. 6 hours on low and you got yummy lasagna.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom