Has anyone ever cooked Thanksgiving dinner (or another big dinner) in one of the Villas?

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Today, someone reminded me of this room we had a couple of years ago at Old Key West. And I forgot how impressive that kitchen was!

Still, the only things we made in there were pancakes and eggs.

As we get closer and closer to Thanksgiving, I was just wondering if anyone has ever cooked anything more elaborate in those types of rooms? Thanksgiving dinner, anyone? I doubt it, but clearly, with that big kitchen, it's totally possible.

For those who have stayed in one of these rooms, what is the most elaborate meal you have made? And post pictures if possible! ;)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Love Key West. I'm curious too given all that is in these kitchens, someone has gotta use them you'd think. I've made coffee, stored beverages in fridge and ate donuts from a paper plate. Paging @epcotisbest He cooks on vacation.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
All the time. Steaks, chops, roasted chicken, salmon, pasta, etc. Full breakfast every morning and dinner many evenings. My fridge is full of more than just water and a few snacks. Milk, juice, eggs, butter, jam, stuff to make salads, veggies, humus, yogurt, etc. The freezer has meats and other frozen foods. And my staples include salt & pepper, olive oil, sugar, honey, rice, potatoes. The day after I arrive, it's a trip to Publix for grocery shopping. Like @epcotisbest, I cook at Disney for most meals, since most of my visits are for the runDisney races and I watch what I eat for the days of the races. The last thing you want is, um, tummy troubles running 13.1 miles....

After the races are over, I will indulge in a WDW restaurant. Looking forward to some fried chicken at Art Smith's in February. :hungry:

correcaminos

Alas, my idea of vacation is not to cook. I'm the only one who can (though offspring have begun to learn meals) consistently so I prefer not to. Seems like a waste of a kitchen, but we mostly do bagels, sandwiches, or the like. I also have a tendency to cook from scratch and it would be hard to cook without all my spices and such.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Alas, my idea of vacation is not to cook. I'm the only one who can (though offspring have begun to learn meals) consistently so I prefer not to. Seems like a waste of a kitchen, but we mostly do bagels, sandwiches, or the like. I also have a tendency to cook from scratch and it would be hard to cook without all my spices and such.

I don't cook everything I would cook at home for that reason, but a few spices, garlic cloves, olive oil and mustard can be used to create a lot. Plus, I keep a freezer full of marinara, soups and the like, so I can throw a container of some sauce or soup in my cooler to bring to Disney. I always make some tuna pasta salad to bring - and it goes fast.

dreamfinder

You could, but I reckon it would take some serious planning in terms of dishes and cooking space. I haven't tried at DVC specifically, but I've done many meals with large groups (20-50) at time shares, and usually have to raid dishes from all the units and spread out the cooking between multiple kitchens just to make it work.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You could, but I reckon it would take some serious planning in terms of dishes and cooking space. I haven't tried at DVC specifically, but I've done many meals with large groups (20-50) at time shares, and usually have to raid dishes from all the units and spread out the cooking between multiple kitchens just to make it work.

I couldn't handle that size group in my home...

But most of the kitchens in the DVC villas can handle cooking for a group up to 6 - I'm thinking sufficient dinnerware. I bring one of my French skillets and non-stick skillets, along with utensils. Yes, I drag a portion of my kitchen to Disney - it fits in a large purple storage box - my version of an Owners Locker bin.

epcotisbest

We have gone on several trips where we did not eat out at any Disney restaurant, or maybe only visited one or two for the whole week. Every DVC unit we have stayed in except the studio at BWV had fully equipped kitchens, and since we drive, grocery shopping is easy and there are several grocery stores nearby and we like to visit the farmer's market over at Celebration on Sunday mornings as well.
We have friends who talk about how they are on vacation and refuse to cook. For us, we enjoy cooking and preparing our own meals. It is a together project and we like making our own meals, and that comes with the extra bonus of saving a lot of money.
One trip we noted that we ate for the entire week, buying groceries and preparing our own meals, for what we spent on one meal at California Grill during a previous trip, and that includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
There are a few Disney places we like that there are nothing similar at home, like Sanaa, BOMA, Whispering Canyon and California Grill, but a lot of the Disney restaurants that we have tried, for us, are more one and done, tried it, liked it, no reason to go back.
Never tried to do a holiday meal at Disney, but I don't see why it could not be done in the DVC kitchens as they are well stocked with shovels and rakes and implements of destruction (subtle Alice's Restaurant reference).

LAKid53

Premium Member
We have gone on several trips where we did not eat out at any Disney restaurant, or maybe only visited one or two for the whole week. Every DVC unit we have stayed in except the studio at BWV had fully equipped kitchens, and since we drive, grocery shopping is easy and there are several grocery stores nearby and we like to visit the farmer's market over at Celebration on Sunday mornings as well.
We have friends who talk about how they are on vacation and refuse to cook. For us, we enjoy cooking and preparing our own meals. It is a together project and we like making our own meals, and that comes with the extra bonus of saving a lot of money.
One trip we noted that we ate for the entire week, buying and preparing our own meals, for what we spent on one meal at California Grill, and that includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
There are a few Disney places we like that there are nothing similar at home, like Sanaa, BOMA, Whispering Canyon and California Grill, but a lot of the Disney restaurants that we have tried, for us, are more one and done, tried it, liked it, no reason to go back.
Never tried to do a holiday meal at Disney, but I don't see why it could not be done in the DVC kitchens as they are well stocked with shovels and rakes and implements of destruction (subtle Alice's Restaurant reference).

You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant..... ;)

I'm in complete agreement with you. Since most of my trips are just me, I prefer to cook in my villa. I may have a late lunch/early dinner at a WDW restaurant to try something new, but breakfast always in the room - I/we are lazy in the AM. :)

The Publix at Lakeside is just 15 minutes away. I noticed that the new Wal-Mart on 192 will have a Publix nearby, but that means getting back on 192...

epcotisbest

Here is a well stocked fridge at SSR a few trips back. Breakfast in the room is probably my favorite.

Picture93.jpg
Picture56.jpg

epcotisbest

Today, someone reminded me of this room we had a couple of years ago at Old Key West. And I forgot how impressive that kitchen was!

Still, the only things we made in there were pancakes and eggs.

As we get closer and closer to Thanksgiving, I was just wondering if anyone has ever cooked anything more elaborate in those types of rooms? Thanksgiving dinner, anyone? I doubt it, but clearly, with that big kitchen, it's totally possible.

For those who have stayed in one of these rooms, what is the most elaborate meal you have made? And post pictures if possible! ;)

All the kitchens in the DVC units we have stayed at have been fully stocked with utensils and plates, glasses, pots and pans etc..and very usable. While we don't really cook elaborate meals, we do prepare appetizing and filling meals, just like if we were at home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom