Has anyone done the "Journey to the Center of the Earth" at TDS?

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I am fascinated by this idea for a ride since I heard for the first time, that there is such a ride at TDS in Mt. Prometheus which for itself seems already to be a truly immersive experience. Has anyone here done the ride already?

tomm4004

Yes, I've done it and it's excellent, both by day and night. It seems to use similar tech to Test Track. The entire experience, including the line and the loading area, is first rate.

dolbyman

my sister has done it on her trip .. and the park was so empty that she did it 5 times in a row .... first time was also filmed... and can be found on mousebits

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
Yes, I've done it and it's excellent, both by day and night. It seems to use similar tech to Test Track. The entire experience, including the line and the loading area, is first rate.

Is it (even loosely) based on the novel by Jules Verne or the movie with James Mason/Pat Boone?

And thanks to all replies of course.:wave:

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
my sister has done it on her trip .. and the park was so empty that she did it 5 times in a row .... first time was also filmed... and can be found on mousebits

Thank you!
TDS was empty? Was that during a Godzilla attack? :D

I always heard the lines in TDS are INSANE.

EpcotServo

Is it (even loosely) based on the novel by Jules Verne or the movie with James Mason/Pat Boone?

And thanks to all replies of course.:wave:

It's a little bit of both. It has alot of the classic stuff from the book, but it has a 20K feel from the James Mason Disney film.

Hence why the "Mysterious Island" part of the park is pretty much the coolest thing ever made in any Theme Park.
:cry:

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
It's a little bit of both. It has alot of the classic stuff from the book, but it has a 20K feel from the James Mason Disney film.
Hence why the "Mysterious Island" part of the park is pretty much the coolest thing ever made in any Theme Park.

Very true. I can't believe that they had to built one of the best lands in any disney park on the other side of the world with fantastic attractions featured nowhere else.

Imagine a Mount Prometheus in WDW as a major E-Ticket with two attractions - in the upper part the morphcoaster planned for Fire Mountain, in the deep an adjusted Journey to the Center of the Earth.

tomm4004

Agreed. Going through it on the boat is the coolest thing.

TP2000

Japan is my favorite vacation destination. I'm not sure why people always talk about going, but never seem to get there. You'd be surprised at how reasonable it is to vacation there, especially for folks in America where the Dollar/Yen exchange rate is still fairly good. Just look on Expedia for a flight+hotel for Tokyo and GO! You won't regret it. I'm going again in six months.

As for DisneySea and Journey, yes, it is a great ride. It's very well done, and the queue and pre-show is really very impressive. The thrill ride portion is surprising.

It's probably one of the most involved and fabulously themed queues, pre-shows and boarding areas that I can think of. Certainly it blows anything in America out of the water. Think of a cross between the Indiana Jones Adventure queue on a massive scale and then a wonderfully executed morph of the stretching rooms in the Haunted Mansion and the old Hydrolators in The Living Seas. Add in 21st century design excellence, and a level of customer service and showmanship from the Tokyo CM's that makes American CM's look like hungover slobs working at a 7-11, and the entire experience is just wonderful. And that's before you even get on the ride!

EPCOT Explorer

Very true. I can't believe that they had to built one of the best lands in any disney park on the other side of the world with fantastic attractions featured nowhere else.

Imagine a Mount Prometheus in WDW as a major E-Ticket with two attractions - in the upper part the morphcoaster planned for Fire Mountain, in the deep an adjusted Journey to the Center of the Earth.

OOOOOOH...I wold love that.(because it would mean to AMAZING things in WDW!:lol:)

EpcotServo

Japan is my favorite vacation destination. I'm not sure why people always talk about going, but never seem to get there. You'd be surprised at how reasonable it is to vacation there, especially for folks in America where the Dollar/Yen exchange rate is still fairly good. Just look on Expedia for a flight+hotel for Tokyo and GO! You won't regret it. I'm going again in six months.

That's what I always say!

Though now even a trip across town has to be second guessed thanks to high prices on everything.
:lol:

:dazzle:

:(

:brick:

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
I went in april 2006 (don't remember if it was any time around easter) & tds wasn't crowded either. Loved it! Journey is my dh's all time favorite disney ride.:p

And yet after all I heard and read Disney doesn't have the slightest, faintest plan to build it in WDW in even the distant future (or DLP which would be reason for me to go there again ASAP when it opens) I just don't get it.:(

TheDisneyMagic

And yet after all I heard and read Disney doesn't have the slightest, faintest plan to build it in WDW in even the distant future (or DLP which would be reason for me to go there again ASAP when it opens) I just don't get it.:(

It is too expensive for the Walt Disney Company to back, where as over in Tokyo, Oriental Land Co picks up all the bills and are willing to spend a much greater sum of money in their parks.

Pete C

Journey to the Center of the Earth is located in the most elaborately themed area of any theme park I have ever seen...Mysterious Island. This section of the park is just jaw-dropping. The ride itself is accessed in a large cave which leads to actual elevators, not fake elevators, that take you down to the queue. Granted, the elevators simulate you going down much further than you actually do. The dark-ride portion is fantastic, right up there with the best Disney offerings, but not necessarily better than other top rides at Disney or Universal. The thrill-ride portion is exhilarating, however it is over too quickly. After the shocking, ejector seat drop, the ride slows down immediately. Had this ride offered a few more turns at high speed, it would be a more complete experience. Is this ride worth a trip to Japan alone? No, it is not. DisneySea as a whole is definitely worth a trip for seeing just how incredible a theme park can look. However, Journey does not live up to being the end-all, be-all masterpiece by stopping short after the drop. Everyone I was with said the same thing...that's it? It's really disappointing to hear people say that after you know they spent an insane amount of time and thought developing it. I am telling you right now if they brought this ride here as is, people would complain about the ending.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom