Happy Thought: When do you realize your at Disney World?

sittle

Original Poster
Heya Kids:

This is a thought I had the other day. And is a nice complement to the 'Sad Thought': When do you really feel that your at Disney World?

To me, and I've only been three times (hoping for trip four in Jan 06) it seems like a dream when you return, and it isn't until something clicks a trigger in your brain and you find yourself, smiling harder than you have before, or your more carefree because you realize your actually back in Disney World.

Is it something you hear, is it something you touch, is it something you smell, is it something you taste, is it a ride, or a restaurant, is it seeing a certain character or is it just something you see?

For myself, have a couple of them. I know I am really at Disney World, when I hear the music from Tomorrowland, or when I hear the Music from Spaceship Earth. It also hits when I ride Splash Mountain, it's the music, smell, and visual stimulus. And the tactile feel of the Tiki Statues in Adventureland, I always have to touch them and the ground in front of them. The taste of a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Sandwich also lets me know I am there.

What lets you know your really at Disney World and your not just having a very good dream??

dazzle_em55

For me it's when we cross under the Welcome to Disney sign at the resort enterance. I'm sure I get this goofy grin on my face that lasts until we drive back under it on the way home.

diveteam

For me it is from the moment I step off the plane at Orlando International Airport, the humidity and smell just reminds me of the beginning of a Disney holiday.

Mark

Loretta

diveteam said:
For me it is from the moment I step off the plane at Orlando International Airport, the humidity and smell just reminds me of the beginning of a Disney holiday.

Mark

Ditto, same exact thing for me. :)

Ringo8n24

The smell of the lobby as you are checking in makes you realize you are finally at WDW starting your trip. Also, seeing everyone checking in with you makes you realize you are as lucky as they are to be there.

sheryl2007

I think it is just that Florida smell, it smells great coming from the cold northern midwest:dazzle: . It is also checking into the hotel and seeing the soap, shampoo in the black disney design. And of course standing in front of Magic Kingdom waiting to go through the gates, it is always the first park we go to:)

sittle

Original Poster
These are all great replies, does anyone have one more specific. Does anyone have a song that they need to hear? Maybe one of the songs that play by the pool areas at their favourite resort? Or seeing, Pluto, Donald or Goofy? Maybe a certain meal?

I figured a lot of people from further away (Illinois, Maine, Canada and Britain) would reply, as it takes a lot to get there, and it's a very special treat, I would be interested to see if anyone from Florida had any specific triggers?

Be very specific, what makes you believe your really at Disney World?

disneydreams

Florida deffinitly does have it's own unique smell.
"Hello WDW" for me is when I see my first 'landmark' of the park. Usually Spaceship Earth or Cinderella's castle.

d'Isigny

It really hits home when I'm walking down Main Street USA for the first time. The sight of the castle drawing nearer as I walk past the stores...the smells coming from the bakery...the balloons...the bustle of the crowds.

The first happy sound being the pirate song in the Pirates of the Caribbean...Yo Ho Yo Ho...

and I love the techno-music in the queue of Space Mountain...

my first turkey leg

my first Mickey bar

d'Isigny

I asked my wife this question...

she says.."When I get to Animal Kingdom...the Rainforset Cafe...I know I'm in Disney..."

it's a tradition that we start with Animal Kingdom...and she loves her first dinner to be at the Rainforest cafe.

dazzle_em55

In that case, when you get off the bus from the airport and can hear the resort music. It just makes me relax and realize that I truly am at home.

I travel a lot with my the team I coach so we visit hotels frequently. None of them play music as you walk into them. I always feel like I have to work when we go there. The music really puts me at ease and begins the Disney expearance.

I guess that it is also anytime you enter the parks. There is always music playing to put me in the mood.

No real specific song just the music in general

lawyergirl77

Ringo8n24 said:
The smell of the lobby as you are checking in makes you realize you are finally at WDW starting your trip. Also, seeing everyone checking in with you makes you realize you are as lucky as they are to be there.
God I love this forum!!! I thought I was the only one who noticed it!

The resorts have a certain smell and every time I smell it, I realize that I'm in WDW. I only realized what an effect it had over me when I walked into a local mall recently and stopped dead in my tracks at that familliar smell. I now go there to shop a lot!

d'Isigny

dazzle_em55 said:
In that case, when you get off the bus from the airport and can hear the resort music. It just makes me relax and realize that I truly am at home.

I travel a lot with my the team I coach so we visit hotels frequently. None of them play music as you walk into them. I always feel like I have to work when we go there. The music really puts me at ease and begins the Disney expearance.

I guess that it is also anytime you enter the parks. There is always music playing to put me in the mood.

No real specific song just the music in general

That's exactly how I feel when I first walk into the Resort...that I am truly at home. This is mostly due to the fact that I stay at the same resort each time.

Slipknot

Getting cut off by the people who have no clue which lane they are supposed to be in on Osceola Parkway. LoL Just kidding.

Seriously, it would have to be seeing the Tower of Terror ad on World Drive (that is the main road to MK right?) after turning off of Osceola Parkway.

daveemtdave

When I see the signs saying Disney World Exit......but the real feeling hits, when we slide the key and drop our luggage down on the floor....No dog, no cat, no job worries.....total escape hits

Tenny317

I concur with everybody who said stepping off the plane and feeling and smelling the humidity haha...

All the feeling of the coldness in the hotel room gets me there too...

Eating either chicken fingers OR a mickey mouse premium bar

And riding Pirates of the Caribbean because it is the epitamay of a disney ride to me...the smell...the darkness...the anamantronics...the music!

ohhh lord october can't come soon enough!

Tom

Beta Return
We drive from Indiana - straight through in one shot. We get up at midnight, hop in the car and get there at check-in time. By the time we're driving in, we're tired ,cranky and have to use the potty BADLY. When we were kids, we always rode in the backseat, not paying much attention to the roads and such, which have changed a lot since then anyway.

Soooo, now that my brother and I drive ourselves down, those things outside the parks like the roads and signs really don't do anything. I still feel like I'm on an interstate, in the "real" world, as long as we're driving into property. It hits when we walk into the lobby of Dixie Landings and take the first breath of Disney Air Conditioning - which has a unique smell (to us midwesterners, at least).

As far as music, that Dixieland Band music they play on Main Street does it for sure. The turnstiles are still not good enough, and are still in the real world to me, but once we pass into any of the parks - that's it!

MrToad1

I think for me it is when I am driving into the Disney Resort and turn on my radio to the Disney World Resort station. Ahhh the glorious sounds of Disney AM radio. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom