News Happy 50th Birthday to Walt Disney World!

TP2000

Original Poster
Wrong on both counts, and waiting in a giant line to cross the darn lake AND THEN not have the option of taking a tram made me never want to give Disney money again. Disney: RUN. YOUR. TRAMS.

So they aren't doing parking trams at WDW either? You pay $25 to park, then fight the crowds to monorail or boat back to the Magic Kingdom parking lot at the end of the night and then have to walk from the TTC out to your car??? That's criminal. :mad:

Screenshot 2021-10-12 235837.png

In Anaheim all the TDA and Burbank executives get out of dealing with the awful parking and generally miserable "Guest Arrival Experience" by valet parking their cars at the Grand Californian and walking through Downtown Disney to the parks.

I wonder what the TDO version of that sneaky move to avoid the crummy customer experience is? Valet parking at the Grand Floridian or Contemporary and taking a monorail to that hotel to get their car?

PiratesMansion

Great report! Nothing about the people mover? 😉
'Twas ridden, much to the delight of my mother, who remembered it from 1998 (!) and was then disappointed during our 2014 trip when it was down for refurbishment. Great ride, I'm just baffled by how the ride seemingly is fragile and will stop loading randomly as you wait.
So they aren't doing parking trams at WDW either? You pay $25 to park, then fight the crowds to monorail or boat back to the Magic Kingdom parking lot at the end of the night and then have to walk from the TTC out to your car??? That's criminal. :mad:

View attachment 593164

In Anaheim all the TDA and Burbank executives get out of dealing with the awful parking and generally miserable "Guest Arrival Experience" by valet parking their cars at the Grand Californian and walking through Downtown Disney to the parks.

I wonder what the TDO version of that sneaky move to avoid the crummy customer experience is? Valet parking at the Grand Floridian or Contemporary and taking a monorail to that hotel to get their car?
Nope. No Trams. The one silver lining was that I wasn't quite as far back as I thought I was when I originally parked (to the right of that grove of trees in the middle, the first row facing towards the monorail beam), but when you've been fighting crowds all day, and then it takes 30 minutes just to get on the dang ferry, and THEN you have to walk back to your car with no other option to make that any easier (and a very tired mother in tow), it's the kind of thing that makes you never want to give them money again. Or at least give money to other castle parks that don't subject their guests to that level of misery.

I'm sure the Bobs would say it's my fault for not paying $50 for preferred parking, but it's patently obvious that no current executive has ever tried to leave Magic Kingdom at closing right now and dealt with the circus that it is.

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm sure the Bobs would say it's my fault for not paying $50 for preferred parking, but it's patently obvious that no current executive has ever tried to leave Magic Kingdom at closing right now and dealt with the circus that it is.

It's almost not the executives fault. Almost. Here's why...

Disney purposely gives executives, and their friends/family, free valet parking at their hotels adjacent to the parks, so they can avoid the hassles of paying for parking and fighting their way into the park with the common customers.

When a company purposely shields its executive leaders from the basic customer experience the company provides, that's a huge cultural red flag. TDA and TDO both know parking and entry/exit logistics, even with trams, is a messy headache that sucks an hour or more away from the day. So instead of doing something about it, they just let the executives glide in the side door via free valet parking at a nearby hotel.

Imagine if General Motors gave its executives a Mercedes E-Class to drive instead of a Cadillac. Or if Samsung gave its execs iPhones. Or if the Taco Bell headquarters in Irvine catered Chipotle for lunch. Not because they want to "benchmark" others, just because they know their products can be crummy and they want to shield their executives from experiencing cheap junk. 🤣

So it's almost not the fault of TDO and TDA executives that they have allowed their parking and park entry/exit processes to devolve into such misery. And now without trams? Disastrous.

But if a company purposely shields its senior leadership ranks from experiencing their own miserable customer experience, why would their product improve? :eek:

Disneyland Entrance Esplanade, June 2021
60c8d4046d855e0018158230

EPCOTCenterLover

So after a mostly positive experience at Magic Kingdom yesterday, I figured I may as well share my thoughts on the eve of the month of the 50th:
-Despite heavy crowds and long wait times, the in-park experience was actually pretty good. FAR better than the 2018 visit that was marred by FP+ misery.
-Liberty Tree Tavern is a gem of a restaurant that I would love to see in more places. For the uninitiated, it's a lovely table service restaurant with rooms themed to different early Americans where it's essentially an all-you-can-eat Thanksgiving feast. The food and setting are absolutely perfect (Skipper Canteen, my dinner spot, was also nice, just a bit less perfect).
-Perhaps it was somewhat scaled down because of the anniversary, but Halloween at MK is essentially limited to Main Street.
-The castle paint job looks SIGNIFICANTLY better in person than it does in photos. Only found one completely terrible angle.
-Jungle Cruise, by virtue of its re-imagining, was the most popular thing in the park. I went there immediately at opening and I'm glad I did, because they made us walk the entire queue as if we were doing Peter Pan. Incidentally, I think the changes are a lateral move. If we're being honest, if divorced from its historical legacy, the Jungle Cruise was, by modern standards, an ok ride in 2020. It's still an ok ride in 2021. None of the changes were particularly bothersome or felt like they didn't belong, although they did not shoot the hippos, at least on my trip.
-Maintenance issues, naturally, reared their ugly head from time to time in terms of a broken AA here, the sounds of hydraulics there...
-What I thought was interesting was that even though FP/FP+/Geniewhatever are currently not running, waits still easily crossed the one hour mark for most attractions of interest and most lines were spilling out onto the midways. They weren't distancing either. Heaven help the park when Genie starts up over the next week or so.
-The newly redone and expended confectionary was...fine? It's yet another thing that the internet tells me I'm supposed to be mad at and I'm not really sure why.
-There's really not that much 50th merchandise, it appears. Lots of people walking out with Cinderella Castle anniversary bling playsets, but few other things to spend money on.
~HAUNTED MANSION~I know there are plenty of people on this forum, both those who have and have not experienced the WDW version that still maintain that the DL version is better, and that's their right. But sorry, the WDW version is better, and here's why (it's not just the fact that it's the only Mansion actually open during October, though that helps). The WDW version of the ride just *pops* in a way that the DL version simply does not, and also in a way that the vast majority of WDW attractions do not. There are a lot of attractions at WDW that are neglected, that have stilted audio, hydraulic sounds that aren't quite masked by the music, etc. Mansion has none of this. Everything is working, the audio is crystal clear (no dead speakers in the doom buggies as has often happened to me in California), and it really feels like the one ride at that park that is in HD surround sound vs. SD mono. As a Mansion purist, no version is perfect and I can and have elaborated on any number of things I'd like to see done differently in regards to how WDW runs it...but I simply have not, in my memory as an adult, seen the DL Mansion running so smoothly or as obviously well taken-care of as I saw in Florida yesterday. Half the time it feels like modern DL is burdened by the regular HM and just keeps it around because they feel like they can't get away with running HMH year round. Not so in Florida-it's clearly an attraction that both guests *and* the resort care a great deal about. And it's such a treat to see.
-Oh, and Swiss Family Treehouse. Some of you have forgotten just how much better this is than Tarzan's Treehouse. Simply perfection.

THAT SAID, almost all of this was kind of negated by the horrific walk out of the park yesterday. The park closed at nine, which is stupidly early for right now and the crowd level that was there, but we thought that by waiting until 9:30 and taking the ferry we would be in the clear. Wrong on both counts, and waiting in a giant line to cross the darn lake AND THEN not have the option of taking a tram made me never want to give Disney money again. Disney: RUN. YOUR. TRAMS.

So really, better than I expected, but the park (at least) still needs work. It really could have benefitted from the TLC DL got for its 50th, which was nowhere to be seen, but even just opening the park for another hour and/or doing something about the abysmal end-of-the-day situation would have made a huge difference.
The Magic Kingdom is full of its own unique charms... and I agree, Mansion (and Splash) are much better in Florida. And they have the Peoplemover- a definite win! Pirates, on the other hand...

TP2000

Original Poster
LOVE the Magic Kingdom's treehouse. I took about 20 photos of it my last trip. (Sadly) I was the only person up in the tree for about 5 minutes. An overlooked gem with the ultimate placement in Adventureland.

To continue the OT Tokyo theme, the last time I went up into Tokyo's Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse a few years ago was during the fireworks. I was the only person up there, the entire 1983 attraction was pristine and looked as though it had just had its grand opening a week ago and every little effect worked, and it offered a unique view of the fireworks over the castle spires.

And yet, I was the only person up there.

TP2000

Original Poster
The Magic Kingdom is full of its own unique charms... and I agree, Mansion (and Splash) are much better in Florida.

I've said this countless times on this website, but I'm saying it again...

I rode Disneyland's Splash Mountain for the first time in 1990 and several more times thereafter, but I had no idea that Splash Mountain even had a plotline until I rode WDW's version for the first time in 1995.

Seriously. Pre-Internet and years before we were told that the Song Of The South source material was racist and forbidden, I had absolutely no idea that Splash Mountain was supposed to have some sort of discernible plot. I just though it was "Fun Log Ride Where Nice Rabbit Gets Thrown Down A Hill By Mean Fox - Cue Singing Chickens For Big Finish!".

That doesn't really have a ring to it, does it? It's probably good they called it Splash Mountain instead.

SuddenStorm

Seriously. Pre-Internet and years before we were told that the Song Of The South source material was racist and forbidden, I had absolutely no idea that Splash Mountain was supposed to have some sort of discernible plot. I just though it was "Fun Log Ride Where Nice Rabbit Gets Thrown Down A Hill By Mean Fox - Cue Singing Chickens For Big Finish!".

That doesn't really have a ring to it, does it? It's probably good they called it Splash Mountain instead.

That basically is the ride's plotline. It's about as loose as an adaptation as you can get- and WDI at the time understood that a ride doesn't need to be a strictly linear story.

Is it not enough to get introduced to the characters, learn who the bad guy is, have some mild conflict, and a satisfying resolution? All while getting immersed in the world and music.

The original Pirates was the same- "The treasure is cursed and will lead to your downfall". We then get to see Pirates do bad things, get cursed, and see their downfall.

This new fixation on story is almost detrimental to modern Imagineering. Rise of the Resistance spends so much time shoving the story down your throat that you can never quite just enjoy a Star Wars adventure (compare that with the original Star Tours that introduced you to the characters, had some conflict, and a satisfying ending.) California Screamin' couldn't just be a coaster with fun music and a launch gimmick. It needed a linear story where you chase a baby, with the Incredibles yelling the plot at you the entire dang ride.

Seriously, WDI takes all the wrong things seriously these days. And it's a shame.

witandwander

Thought you all might appreciate this…

I’m watching the 50th Anniversary special with my 5 year old son and he asks "Who is that?"

I tell him that it's Walt Disney.

We keep watching and they're talking about Walt Disney building Disneyland and being creative. Then they start talking about how and when he died.

5YO asks "So, he died?"

I tell him, "Yes”

"He's a dinosaur?"

"Well, no..."

"What kind of animal is he?"

*Trying to figure out where he’s going with this* “Um…I mean… he’s still a person."

He looks really confused and I'm trying to rack my brain to figure out why. Then I remember what was on the screen when he asked who it was…

944AE4AD-11AD-4042-9EC2-61E31B61AAE3.jpeg

😂😂😂

Californian Elitist

Thought you all might appreciate this…

I’m watching the 50th Anniversary special with my 5 year old son and he asks "Who is that?"

I tell him that it's Walt Disney.

We keep watching and they're talking about Walt Disney building Disneyland and being creative. Then they start talking about how and when he died.

5YO asks "So, he died?"

I tell him, "Yes”

"He's a dinosaur?"

"Well, no..."

"What kind of animal is he?"

*Trying to figure out where he’s going with this* “Um…I mean… he’s still a person."

He looks really confused and I'm trying to rack my brain to figure out why. Then I remember what was on the screen when he asked who it was…

View attachment 594284

😂😂😂
I’m with your son, that clearly is a dinosaur.

truecoat

'Twas ridden, much to the delight of my mother, who remembered it from 1998 (!) and was then disappointed during our 2014 trip when it was down for refurbishment. Great ride, I'm just baffled by how the ride seemingly is fragile and will stop loading randomly as you wait.

Nope. No Trams. The one silver lining was that I wasn't quite as far back as I thought I was when I originally parked (to the right of that grove of trees in the middle, the first row facing towards the monorail beam), but when you've been fighting crowds all day, and then it takes 30 minutes just to get on the dang ferry, and THEN you have to walk back to your car with no other option to make that any easier (and a very tired mother in tow), it's the kind of thing that makes you never want to give them money again. Or at least give money to other castle parks that don't subject their guests to that level of misery.

Well, the trams sat for awhile and are now in disrepair plus the alligators chewed up wiring and stuff.

TP2000

Original Poster
So apparently this increasingly happens. It's the only thing DAK has for the 50th. I have to wonder if crashing the balloons into the stands is taking its toll on the balloons?

But my other thought was "Can you imagine if they randomly cancelled Paint The Night at DCA during the 60th? People would be so mad!"

Apparently they can get away with that sort of thing at WDW for their 50th?

wtyy21

So apparently this increasingly happens. It's the only thing DAK has for the 50th. I have to wonder if crashing the balloons into the stands is taking its toll on the balloons?

But my other thought was "Can you imagine if they randomly cancelled Paint The Night at DCA during the 60th? People would be so mad!"

Apparently they can get away with that sort of thing at WDW for their 50th?

I suspected due to high winds, roughly similar to those at Disneyland when firework shows happened pre-2018 when the shows were cancelled outright.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom