Happiest Place on Earth, in Angriest City in America

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
So i was listening to the radio on the way to work today and i heard an interesting report about how Men's Health magazine released their list of the angriest places in America and Orlando, Fl is #1! here is a piece from the article:

Our search for evidence of urban anger began with the percentage of men with high blood pressure, from the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (as calculated by Sperling's BestPlaces). We then factored in FBI rates of aggravated assaults and Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers on workplace deaths from assaults and other violence. And because rage and the road often go hand in hand, we also included traffic-congestion data from the Texas Transportation Institute, as well as speeding citations per state from the Governors Highway Safety Association.

Does your city's rank rankle you? We kind of figured it would.

(From most to least angry cities)

1. Orlando, FL
2. St. Petersburg, FL
3. Detroit, MI
4. Baltimore, MD
5. Nashville, TN
6. Wilmington, DE
7. Miami, FL
8. Memphis, TN
9. Jacksonville, FL
10. St. Louis, MO

here in the link to the rest of the article and list: http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=health&category=metrogrades&conitem=9ca8a9f3340dc010VgnVCM10000013281eac________

i just thought that was interesting. with a place like wdw or heck even ALL of the family fun type of enviornment, how can Orlando be so angry?

2close2themouse

i just thought that was interesting. with a place like wdw or heck even ALL of the family fun type of enviornment, how can Orlando be so angry?

1. Because we have to deal with the tourists - who can't drive on I-4 or any of our other overly congested roads (not to mention they can't drive in the Florida Thunderstorms either) clogging the roads even more.

2. Neverending road construction that is "supposed" to make our roads better.

3. 37 Murders in 8 months (or are we up to 38 now?)

4. $9 for parking at WDW plus the $70 Admission...

5. Getting pushed out of the way while waiting in line by tourists who think they don't have to wait for anything...

The list can go on...

Buford

no one said WDW's the happiest place on earth.... that's Disneyland.... :D

WDW is the most MAGICAL place on earth..... doesn't mean it's happy :lookaroun

and in the spirit of Orlandians, I agree!: :mad:

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
no one said WDW's the happiest place on earth.... that's Disneyland.... :D

WDW is the most MAGICAL place on earth..... doesn't mean it's happy :lookaroun

and in the spirit of Orlandians, I agree!: :mad:

yeah i know, but you knew what i meant, i was merely going for making it sound more ironic. and yeah i go to school in DC where tourists can get really obnoxious, but i cant imagine what you people in orlando have to deal with!

Buford

yeah i know, but you knew what i meant, i was merely going for making it sound more ironic. and yeah i go to school in DC where tourists can get really obnoxious, but i cant imagine what you people in orlando have to deal with!
I was just messing, it was a good point! :wave:

...just try the public school and court systems. :D :D Not to mention that dang "4."

Cynderella

How the heck is Philly not on that list? Cause dang that can get rough there too. I'm always getting beeped at down there! And as mentioned above, that's why I only go to see Mickey and then leave too!

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
I was just messing, it was a good point! :wave:

...just try the public school and court systems. :D :D Not to mention that dang "4."

oh, i know, all in good fun!

i guess being a tourist myself whenever im there, i never see if from the side of the locals!

LilRoo714

Our search for evidence of urban anger began with the percentage of men with high blood pressure, from the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (as calculated by Sperling's BestPlaces). We then factored in FBI rates of aggravated assaults and Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers on workplace deaths from assaults and other violence. And because rage and the road often go hand in hand, we also included traffic-congestion data from the Texas Transportation Institute, as well as speeding citations per state from the Governors Highway Safety Association.

Obviously being that this is from MEN'S Health, it does not pertain to women... so does that mean Orlando only has the angriest men?

Perhaps this is because their wives drag them down to a place full of screaming kids and make them spend all their money? :lookaroun :animwink:

Just kidding, thanks for sharing, this is an interesting study, which I think someone should look at from the female side. Be interested to find out the city with the most angry women so I can stay far away :lol:

schro513

From the brief time I spent working at WDW (CP for 3 months in '94), I could totally understand why some locals would be angry. If your major employer paid slave wages and you had to constantly work where the rest of the world comes to play it might make you a bit bitter too.....

How the heck is Philly not on that list? Cause dang that can get rough there too. I'm always getting beeped at down there! And as mentioned above, that's why I only go to see Mickey and then leave too!
Haha not to mention the idiot Mayor they have comes on fox news every once and a while to baddly read a speach saying that crimes gone up and philly's dangerouse "so Stay Out!!!!' ha ha. lets just hope the instalation onf the new bat signal on city hall solves the crime problem. Other than that, it's also an angry city in that the african americans are angry that everyone is supposedly racist, The Italians are angry because they believe thar the minorities have taken over and trashed the city, and the hispanics are angry because Ginos' cheese steaks refuses to take orders from people who don't speak english. Not to mention the overly crowded tourist atractions.

MicheleK

I wonder why Boston isn't on the list???? I live 35 minutes away and go in frequently and let me tell you, they are VERY angry. :veryconfu

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
We're the angriest city in America?

Sweet....

WE'RE #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erika

That is interesting! My city is not on the list *whew* although we are ranked very high for road rage :lookaroun

But, please stay away from the political commentary. Thank you.

MainSt1993

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never worked at a Disney resort? :hammer: Working at Disneyland was the toughest job I had until I went to work for the US Congress. And that was only slightly harder because I never got a death threat working for Disney.

More interesting were the cities at the opposite end of the list - Fargo, ND, Bangor, ME, and Manchester, NH.

MainSt1993

They're #27, 2 slots down from Washington, DC. :cry: Here's the whole list for everyone's displeasure:

1. Orlando, FL
2. St. Petersburg, FL
3. Detroit, MI
4. Baltimore, MD
5. Nashville, TN
6. Wilmington, DE
7. Miami, FL
8. Memphis, TN
9. Jacksonville, FL
10. St. Louis, MO
11. Chicago, IL
12. Tampa, FL
13. Jackson, MS
14. Albuquerque, NM
15. Charlotte, NC
16. Dallas, TX
17. Houston, TX
18. Tucson, AZ
19. Indianapolis, IN
20. Wichita, KS
21. Birmingham, AL
22. Providence, RI
23. Durham , NC
24. Altanta, GA
25. Washington, DC
26. Denver, CO
27. Philadelphia, PA
28. Baton Rouge, LA
29. Fort Worth, TX
30. Phoenix, AZ
31. Lubbock, TX
32. Cleveland, OH
33. Greensboro, NC
34. Cincinnati, OH
35. Arlington, TX
36. Los Angeles, CA
37. Buffalo, NY
38. Grand Rapids, MI
39. Boston, MA
40. Columbia, SC
41. Tulsa, OK
42. Aurora, CO
43. Seattle, WA
44. Sacramento, CA
45. San Diego, CA
46. Montgomery, AL
47. Raleigh, NC
48. Yonkers, NY
49. Oakland, CA
50. Fort Wayne, IN
51. Newark, NJ
52. Las Vegas, NV
53. Columbus, OH
54. St. Paul, MN
55. Charleston, WV
56. Kansas City, MO
57. New York, NY
58. Oklahoma, OK
59. Toledo, OH
60. San Antonio, TX
61. Riverside, CA
62. Modesto, CA
63. Louisville, KY
64. Honolulu, HI
65. Richmond, VA
66. San Francisco, CA
67. Bakersfield, CA
68. Spokane, WA
69. Milwaukee, WI
70. Jersey City, NJ
71. Lexington, KY
72. Little Rock, AR
73. Lincoln, NE
74. Billings, MT
75. San Jose, CA
76. Hartford, CT
77. Minneapolis, MN
78. Boise, ID
79. Anaheim, CA
80. Norfolk, VA
81. Austin, TX
82. Fremont, CA
83. Fresno, CA
84. Anchorage, AK
85. Cheyenne, WY
86. Rochester, NY
87. Madison, WI
88. Salt Lake City, UT
89. Omaha, NE
90. Pittsburgh, PA
91. Colorado Springs, CO
92. El Paso, TX
93. Sioux Falls, SD
94. Des Moines, IA
95. Burlington, VT
96. Portland, OR
97. Corpus Christi, TX
98. Fargo, ND
99. Bangor, ME
100. Manchester, NH

disneylandkid

Account Suspended
So i was listening to the radio on the way to work today and i heard an interesting report about how Men's Health magazine released their list of the angriest places in America and Orlando, Fl is #1! here is a piece from the article:

Does your city's rank rankle you? We kind of figured it would.

(From most to least angry cities)

1. Orlando, FL
2. St. Petersburg, FL
3. Detroit, MI
4. Baltimore, MD
5. Nashville, TN
6. Wilmington, DE
7. Miami, FL
8. Memphis, TN
9. Jacksonville, FL
10. St. Louis, MO

here in the link to the rest of the article and list: http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=health&category=metrogrades&conitem=9ca8a9f3340dc010VgnVCM10000013281eac________

you guys are always at a high blood pressure because of that darn heat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom