HaloweenTime 2017 - Cars Land/BVS Get New Decor & Ride Overlays

Californian Elitist

Disney did a really good job with DCA’s Halloween decorations. Hopefully they’ll continue to get better over time.

I walked through Grizzly Peak last night and saw that the Christmas decorations have already been installed. Typical.

D.Silentu

Disney did a really good job with DCA’s Halloween decorations. Hopefully they’ll continue to get better over time.

I walked through Grizzly Peak last night and saw that the Christmas decorations have already been installed. Typical.

I'm no less irked that Halloween starts halfway through September, according to the Disney calendar. Then there's snow on the castle, before you can even say 'trick or treat'. I know society, in general, has been embracing the extended holiday trend, but for what its worth I really wish we'd be more appreciative of the time at hand.

mikenatcity1

Sadly, I remember this same thing 2 years ago- I was there mid-October and we went through the Grand Californian and noticed Christmas in that area...

Hollywood Studios has had Christmas for a few days/weeks to get prepped for its new show...

I hate that Halloween was up mid/late August (before Labor Day) and now Christmas in mid-October...it's 1 thing to sell merchandise, but it's another to have the decor up...sigh...

mickEblu

You know what just occurred to me? Huge Classic Mansion fans like @Kira Nerys should be thankful that HMH exists. It's probably the only reason that the classic Mansion hasn't received any major updates. I would rather they overlay the ride for 4 months then "overlay" it permanently or add things that aren't necessary. No the hat box ghost and the attic bride don't count. I'm taking about IP tie ins and/ or additions/ subtraction that change the core experience. I guess we can also think the Eddie Murphy flop as well.

mickeyfan5534

Florida received the cartoon hitchhiking ghosts, the etcher staircase, the stretching room sound effects and the interactive playground. All of this made the experience more cartoonist than the DL version.
Disagree on the Escher stairs and the stretching room, but I do agree on the ghosts and the queue. All the menace and buildup gone with a simple change.

TP2000

Original Poster
Good Monday morning from Tokyo! Before I head out to the parks today, this thread reminded me of how far ahead of the game Tokyo was back in the 2000's when I first visited. Back in '04 they had all these Halloween decorations up throughout the parks, and it blew Disneyland's minor Halloween decor out of the water.

Sorry Tokyo, but that is no longer the case. Although there are some really nicely done landscaping displays, and one heckuva huge Halloween daytime parade called "Halloween Pop'in Time" (or something like that)... Tokyo Disneyland has remained stagnant with their Halloween decor.

Although the decorations are almost everywhere, it mainly consists of vinyl flags hung on buildings, some carefully curated pumpkins and "spooky" set pieces, and then a really obnoxious and tacky musical overlay booming throughout the Central Plaza (a third-party knockoff of Monster Mash, plus some random 1970's and 80's pop hits that have vague connections to ghosts or spooky themes, like something they'd play at a downscale shopping center or a regional amusement park).

Tokyo's version of Main Street USA, called World Bazaar but really just Main Street USA with a roof over it, has taken the Bazaar theme to bizarre levels with a "Halloween Music Festival" theme with modern pop music played by ghosts and a big cheesy pumpkin photo op sitting in the middle of the street. Think a cross between Halloween and Japan's Got Talent, and you get this odd vibe...

11-35853.jpeg

When I get home, I will post my own photo of the long line of Japanese girls waiting to have their photo taken inside the pumpkin pretending to sing into those fake microphones.

It's all just a bit cheaper and more generic and more temporary looking than Anaheim's current swanky design aesthetic for Halloween. I think it's the wide use of vinyl banners and flags, which are probably a nod to Tokyo's notoriously rainy Autumn weather, with an occasional Typhoon blowing through in October.
DSC_0522.jpg

26.jpg

It's basically park-wide like Anaheim, but it just looks less expensive, less enveloping, and far less custom than Anaheim's Halloween design aesthetic. Especially the fabulous work they've begun this year for DCA.

My point? Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are FABULOUS parks that every Disney fan absolutely must visit at least once in their life. The Cast Member service levels are sky-high and will remind you of what Disney parks were like in the 1980's before our American standards slipped so low. But particularly in Anaheim, Tokyo is no longer beating us at everything. o_O

The Anaheim parks really have upped their game in the last decade when it comes to showmanship and investment and seasonal offerings. It's something Anaheim is actually doing much better than their Tokyo cousins here in the late 2010's. Halloween 2017 is a perfect example of that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom