"Halfway to Halloween" Treats Announced.

Disstevefan1

Disney Parks blog just posted their first look at "Halfway to Halloween" specialty treats that start on 4/28 (because I guess August is too late to start Halloween this year 😏).

WORKER: "Hey boss, look what just came in"
BOSS: "Oh, it looks like those Halloween 2021 shipments just came in!"
WORKER: "What do we do with this? Maybe we can haul it out to the field for the bees?"
BOSS: "Na, this stuff is too old for the bees. Let me call upstairs, this is their mess to fix!"

MickeyLuv'r

Well to be fair, MK's Liberty Square Christmas shop dates back to 1996. There's also a long history of Christmas merchandise in Disney Springs.

Universal also has a long history of selling Halloween merchandise in the spring. They call it a preview shop.

People also love the Haunted Mansion store. While not explicitly Halloween, the merchandise is perfectly themed to wear/use/display on Halloween.

In short, people buy it.

What I think's a little funny this year is near where I live a number of people STILL have Christmas lights up. I mean there's even a church still displaying a wreath.

I also saw plenty of St. Patrick's Day pumpkins, and even "Spring" turkey in a local shop's display window. They finally replaced it with a bunny one week before Easter, but I'll win a bet if it ends up being a 'Halloween' bunny.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well to be fair, MK's Liberty Square Christmas shop dates back to 1996. There's also a long history of Christmas merchandise in Disney Springs.

Universal also has a long history of selling Halloween merchandise in the spring. They call it a preview shop.

People also love the Haunted Mansion store. While not explicitly Halloween, the merchandise is perfectly themed to wear/use/display on Halloween.

In short, people buy it.

What I think's a little funny this year is near where I live a number of people STILL have Christmas lights up. I mean there's even a church still displaying a wreath.

I also saw plenty of St. Patrick's Day pumpkins, and even "Spring" turkey in a local shop's display window. They finally replaced it with a bunny one week before Easter, but I'll win a bet if it ends up being a 'Halloween' bunny.
None of that makes it good taste.

But the financial reality is Halloween crap is more profitable than Christmas stuff now. Cheaper junk at higher retail.

Doesn’t mean you should kill it long term by selling it all the time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

But the financial reality is Halloween crap is more profitable than Christmas stuff now. Cheaper junk at higher retail.

But that's what Bob does - If something is popular, sell more of it more often, because everything scales equally, demand scales upward without fail, and thus they'll make ##x the profit on ##x the sales. Isn't that how it works?

WorldExplorer

I was wondering once, since it seems like day or week long celebrations are never good enough any more and everything needs to have a whole designated month to it, what was going to come next after a month wasn't long enough.

I guess I have my answer now; halfway celebrations.

MickeyLuv'r

I grew up in an area that had multiple year-round Christmas themed shops. I never gave it much thought.

People collect all sorts of objects I wouldn't personally collect.

But c'mon, WDW = merchandise.

It isn't hard for me to understand why Haunted Mansion merchandise is popular, or why many families spend years cultivating Christmas tree decorations. Over time, the ornaments = memories.

Many people visit WDW in April, but they want to buy an ornament they can display seasonally - maybe in December or October. That sounds very normal to me, and as old as WDW.

happymom25

This is so dumb. Fall is my least favorite season and I don’t like Halloween. I specifically choose to go to Disney in the spring because it’s my favorite season and I like the decor/ flowers. I’ve even avoided September because I don’t want fall decor before it’s fall. Now we’re doing fall and Halloween year round? 🙄

Club Cooloholic

It was ridiculous when they started having Halloween parties in August, and the only thing I can think is that
1. They have a surplus of purple icing and Halloween popcorn buckets.
2. They want to entice you to think about coming back for their Halloween Parties, maybe fall bookings aren't where they want it.

Tom P.

I grew up in an area that had multiple year-round Christmas themed shops. I never gave it much thought.

People collect all sorts of objects I wouldn't personally collect.

But c'mon, WDW = merchandise.

It isn't hard for me to understand why Haunted Mansion merchandise is popular, or why many families spend years cultivating Christmas tree decorations. Over time, the ornaments = memories.

Many people visit WDW in April, but they want to buy an ornament they can display seasonally - maybe in December or October. That sounds very normal to me, and as old as WDW.
I don't have any issue with specialty shops that stock holiday merchandise. I've been to the Christmas store in Pigeon Forge many times. What I'm more talking about is the attempt to keep expanding and celebrating the actual "holiday season." Like having Halloween parties in August. Fortunately, Halloween being October 31st limits how soon they can start the Christmas party, but I'm waiting for the day when they keep having Christmas parties into February.

MickeyLuv'r

I don't have any issue with specialty shops that stock holiday merchandise. I've been to the Christmas store in Pigeon Forge many times. What I'm more talking about is the attempt to keep expanding and celebrating the actual "holiday season." Like having Halloween parties in August. Fortunately, Halloween being October 31st limits how soon they can start the Christmas party, but I'm waiting for the day when they keep having Christmas parties into February.
August is still summer in my book, so I also would not go to Halloween party in August. It is also weird MK has pumpkins and fall decor up that early.

In that case, it is a bit of the opposite. If we visit MK in summer, our park photos ought to look like "MK in summer" not Halloween.

Otherwise, we might someday look at photos and think it was a fall visit.

Gillyanne

More likely they got some late 2021 Halloween supplies off a slow boat from China and needed to get rid of them. If that’s true bet on a Christmas in July promo.

WORKER: "Hey boss, look what just came in"
BOSS: "Oh, it looks like those Halloween 2021 shipments just came in!"
WORKER: "What do we do with this? Maybe we can haul it out to the field for the bees?"
BOSS: "Na, this stuff is too old for the bees. Let me call upstairs, this is their mess to fix!"

After seeing what's coming out, I'm definitely leaning towards this. the Jack popcorn bucket looks familiar, and I got the Mickey mummy from the outlet for $15 (IIRC) in Feb. Don't remember when it showed up, but I think it was also still there late March when I went. They've had bulks of them for a while. I wonder if they pulled them from the outlet to put back in parks. They've definitely done that with other merch when the shortages started...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom