Had a visit from a cop last night

Club Cooloholic

A lot of streets where I live have watch children signs posted. But to OP, you did NOT hit them. If you see a kid approaching from the side, good to hit the brakes, but the whole thing sounds wacky with the Dad having a camera outside his house? If it had been my kids I would have said, That's why you wait and look both ways, you could get killed, calling the cops would be the last thing. I assume you live in a nice place that cops have time to deal with a goofy complaint like this. Perhaps it was their way of warning you that this dad might be a bit nuts.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
Just to clarify, the road we were on is not the road the bus drops the kids off on. It is a side street off of the main road where they are dropped. The bus was not stopped, it had already dropped the kids off. I saw it on the main street, so knew to look for the kids of the side street I live on. I just didn't expect expect a child to dart from one sidewalk to the other when I was already in the road.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen the kids again at all. Though I did have a family member tell me they were doing backbends and other gymnastics in the road a few nights ago. They have a fenced in back yard, for goodness sake! :banghead: Why are their parents allowing them to play in the road???? Especially when their house is so close to where people turn on to the road.

Debbie

I drive a school bus and I can tell you what would happen here. I would drop the kids on my door side going down the street and turn around and drop the kids off coming back up the street. If they are too immature to cross without someone holding their hand...... sorry this happened to you. Call the transportation dept from where that bus comes from, ask for the supervisor, and explain what happened.. Where I work, I would be told to do exactly what I just told you.... There are several streets where I am that children are never allowed to cross and then there are a few streets on my route where I make the call for them not to cross. Typically a block where I have been passed with my stop signs out :(

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I’m late to the party, but my guess is, this isn’t the first time something like this has happened. This sounds like a build up, that finally resulted in the Dad, probably on advice from his wife, calling the cops instead of marching down to your house himself.

You live on a street with kids playing outside often? Then treat it like you would a parking lot. Simple.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It varies from state to state. Last year (I think it was only last year) pedestrians always have the right of way in IL, whether they are in a crosswalk or not.

Illinois

Question
Who has the right of way at a crosswalk—pedestrians or cars?

Answer
It depends. Pedestrians in a crosswalk have the right of way, so drivers must yield. Pedestrians not yet in a crosswalk should yield to drivers until it’s safe to enter the crosswalk.

Pedestrians do not have an unlimited right to barge into a crosswalk whenever and however they like. They should wait until it’s safe.

Chapter 11 of the Illinois Vehicle Code is our official “Rules of the Road.” Article X of that chapter covers “Pedestrians’ Rights and Duties.”

Because cars can do more damage, they always have a general duty to “exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian.” When the pedestrian is a “child or any obviously confused, incapacitated or intoxicated person,” due care bumps up to “proper precaution.”

Pedestrians have specific rights at crosswalks. Crosswalks can be at intersections of streets or “elsewhere.” At intersections, they can be marked or unmarked.

At an intersection, an unmarked crosswalk is basically the imaginary extension of a sidewalk across the street, even if the sidewalk doesn’t continue on the other side. That means an unmarked crosswalk requires some kind of sidewalk somewhere near the intersection.

Away from intersections “elsewhere”, crosswalks must be marked. That means: “distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other markings on the surface.”

At crosswalks with stoplights, cars and pedestrians must each obey their signal. If there’s no specific pedestrian signal, pedestrians can only enter a crosswalk when they have the green light.

At crosswalks with stop signs, cars must stop and yield to pedestrians as they would to other cars (i.e., to cars/pedestrians in the intersection).

Crosswalks with no stop light or sign are mostly going to be marked crosswalks in the middle of the block “elsewhere”. There, the law gets specific. Cars must yield to pedestrians actually in that kind of crosswalk. And then, only to pedestrians on “the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling,” or “approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.”

Then, the pedestrian has the right of way, and cars must stop—not just slow down. When a car stops to yield that right of way, it’s illegal for other cars to pass.

So, in those middle-of-the block marked crosswalks, cars must stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk, on or close to the car’s half of the street. They don't have to stop for pedestrians approaching or waiting at the curb.

That means pedestrians don’t have a right of way to enter the crosswalk, whenever they want. That’s specified in the law, which says that pedestrians shall not “suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a moving vehicle.”

The signs at those crosswalks often confuse things because they look like stop signs, but are really trying to communicate the idea that cars must yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk. But it’s easy to think the red stop sign within the sign means stop, instead of yield.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
It varies from state to state. Last year (I think it was only last year) pedestrians always have the right of way in IL, whether they are in a crosswalk or not.

This is absolutely untrue. I was a police officer in Illinois for many years. Under the vehicle codes, the only place a pedestrian has the right of way is in a crosswalk or a controlled pedestrian crossing. I unfortunately have investigated many incidents of pedestrians being hit outside of the crosswalk. I have never ticketed a driver for striking someone crossing outside the crosswalk. I have, however written a few tickets over many years for jaywalking. It was a rare thing, usually when the person got an attitude with me.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
I’m late to the party, but my guess is, this isn’t the first time something like this has happened. This sounds like a build up, that finally resulted in the Dad, probably on advice from his wife, calling the cops instead of marching down to your house himself.

You live on a street with kids playing outside often? Then treat it like you would a parking lot. Simple.

Definitely the first time I have experienced something like this. Maybe not the first time the kids have experienced something like that from other drivers. But at some point you would hope the parents would get a clue and tell their kids to stay on the sidewalks. But that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. I just hope it doesn't happen after one of their kids gets hurt.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Definitely the first time I have experienced something like this. Maybe not the first time the kids have experienced something like that from other drivers. But at some point you would hope the parents would get a clue and tell their kids to stay on the sidewalks. But that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. I just hope it doesn't happen after one of their kids gets hurt.
Just for clarities sake. You live on a dead end? And you want the kids to stay on the sidewalk?

daisyduckie

Original Poster
As these kids are in the second house down from the very top of the street and have a large fenced in back yard? Yes. No need for them to be playing in the road. And no need for them to be running in the road as we have sidewalks on both sides.

Think about it. You are turning onto a street, and almost before you can react there are kids in the road. Even going from an almost stop in order to make the turn that is not a lot of reaction time. Thank goodness the cops at least put up no parking signs, as before it was a truly blind turn with cars parked on both sides of the road.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As these kids are in the second house down from the very top of the street and have a large fenced in back yard? Yes. No need for them to be playing in the road. And no need for them to be running in the road as we have sidewalks on both sides.

Think about it. You are turning onto a street, and almost before you can react there are kids in the road. Even going from an almost stop in order to make the turn that is not a lot of reaction time. Thank goodness the cops at least put up no parking signs, as before it was a truly blind turn with cars parked on both sides of the road.
Yeah this is kind of what I thought. I’m gonna be honest with you, you are the one who needs to adjust. Kids play in the street. Especially on a dead end. You’re lucky the dad let a cooler head prevail and decided to call the cops on you instead of coming down and having a confrontation. You are even luckier you haven’t hit a kid yet. Slow down. Period.

daisyduckie

Original Poster
Yeah this is kind of what I thought. I’m gonna be honest with you, you are the one who needs to adjust. Kids play in the street. Especially on a dead end. You’re lucky the dad let a cooler head prevail and decided to call the cops on you instead of coming down and having a confrontation. You are even luckier you haven’t hit a kid yet. Slow down. Period.

Did you even read my first post? The kids were not playing in the street then, one ran from one sidewalk across the street to the other as I was driving down the road. And no, kids don't just play in the streets. That is absurd. And very dangerous. We are not talking about the city where kids have no where else to go. We have yards, and they have a large fenced in yard. Plus we have a park complete with a playground and tennis courts not half a mile away.

I mean, how dare I drive my car in the road! Don't we know roads are for playing???

Whatever. Apparently you have decided I'm some maniac. And I have decided you are a bit nuts to think roads are for playing in, so I guess that makes us even.

Btw, don't bother to reply as I'm going to block you and your bad attitude.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Did you even read my first post? The kids were not playing in the street then, one ran from one sidewalk across the street to the other as I was driving down the road. And no, kids don't just play in the streets. That is absurd. And very dangerous. We are not talking about the city where kids have no where else to go. We have yards, and they have a large fenced in yard. Plus we have a park complete with a playground and tennis courts not half a mile away.

I mean, how dare I drive my car in the road! Don't we know roads are for playing???

Whatever. Apparently you have decided I'm some maniac. And I have decided you are a bit nuts to think roads are for playing in, so I guess that makes us even.

Btw, don't bother to reply as I'm going to block you and your bad attitude.
🤷‍♂️

Cops came to your house to talk to you about your driving. Time to look in the mirror and not rely on internet strangers to make you feel better about your poor choices.

FWIW. Do not approach the dad. If this is how you handle things, you are liable to make this way worse.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
🤷‍♂️

Cops came to your house to talk to you about your driving. Time to look in the mirror and not rely on internet strangers to make you feel better about your poor choices.

FWIW. Do not approach the dad. If this is how you handle things, you are liable to make this way worse.

The police coming to your house doesn't mean you did anything wrong. As a retired LEO, I can tell you when we get a call, it is our job to investigate and and resolve the situation to the best of our abilities. I have been called to mediate everything from a dog that had been dead 2 years doing its business in a neighbors yard, to a 5 year old girl bouncing on a trampoline to see an elderly man, who lived 5 houses away, sitting on the toilet. In each in every case I visited both parties and did what I could to resolve the issues. I did tell the one family to try to keep their dog's ghost out of the neighbors yard :)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The police coming to your house doesn't mean you did anything wrong. As a retired LEO, I can tell you when we get a call, it is our job to investigate and and resolve the situation to the best of our abilities. I have been called to mediate everything from a dog that had been dead 2 years doing its business in a neighbors yard, to a 5 year old girl bouncing on a trampoline to see an elderly man, who lived 5 houses away, sitting on the toilet. In each in every case I visited both parties and did what I could to resolve the issues. I did tell the one family to try to keep their dog's ghost out of the neighbors yard :)
I think it’s pretty clear what’s going on in this case. It’s not a ghost dog. It’s a reckless driver who has been a problem to the point a camera was installed to catch her in the act.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I think it’s pretty clear what’s going on in this case. It’s not a ghost dog. It’s a reckless driver who has been a problem to the point a camera was installed to catch her in the act.

That is a pretty big jump, but you are entitled to your opinion. We live in a world of cameras. I have 4 outside cameras at my house and my kids are all grown and long gone.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That is a pretty big jump, but you are entitled to your opinion. We live in a world of cameras. I have 4 outside cameras at my house and my kids are all grown and long gone.
Right, but based on circumstantial evidence here, we can come to some logical conclusions.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It appears that you have come to that conclusion, but I certainly haven't. In 2 pages of replies you seem to be the only one with this theory.
I guess. Maybe I am the only one who lives in a quiet residential neighborhood who sees kids playing all over the place.

I also know, no one is likely to call the cops on a neighbor after one incident like this. It's been building.

Lyman

Been awhile since I've got on sight

Here in Illinois if a pedestrian steps into the street cross walk or not the car must stop and yield.

Here's a strange law in China. If you yield to a pedestrian you get a ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom