Habit Heroes Closed

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
creating your own coaster is (opinion) nothing ground breaking anymore even with those nice simulators, would much rather some kind of true "soft" D attractions you could fit a nice attraction in west and east i would think. (some could argue the crowds around there would become insane)

I beg to differ... At least, for people my age. Teens/Young Adults. My group of 4 friends claimed that this was there favorite thing in Epcot that I took them to. Because they could design a thrill ride to fit their needs or whatever. They said something similar to that.

There is something pretty awesome about designing your own loops and turns and how "fast" a coaster will go. It is also a big thing to be said, that SUM of all thrills is only one of two attractions at WDW that goes upside down. Unless I'm mistaken and Rockin' doesnt go upside down, then it is the only one.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Could someone explain to me what used to make Innoventions amazing? I've only ever known the snoozefest that it is currently. The way everyone speaks, it sounds like it was truly fun place to be.
There were tons of corporate hands on exhibits that had fun, cutting edge technology.

halltd

Well, we still have dated tech designing a coaster with Bill Nye The Coaster Guy on CyberSpace Mountain at Disneyquest.
cyberspacemountain.jpg
Is this really what's still at Cyber Space Mountain? That was there in 1998! Wow!

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
For those who miss the "IBM Think" exhibit, you can now find it at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, with some updates (although not many that I noticed).

I'm going there tomorrow to continue my Annual tradition of Museum/Disney on Ice/Walt Disney World vacation..

World_Showcase_Lover007

Could someone explain to me what used to make Innoventions amazing? I've only ever known the snoozefest that it is currently. The way everyone speaks, it sounds like it was truly fun place to be.

I'm curious too because besides the Sum of All Thrills, then only interesting thing I've seen in there is the penny press right at the entrance. I would liked to have seen it back in the day.

MJ6987

You have to hope that they are planning something big / new for that whole Innoventions area and that they are closing exhibits down as the current contracts expire.

Or is it really just a case that they are trying, and failing, to secure new exhibits?

If not, then this is a waste of a central part of the Park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The potential of the space is huge. Something great could, and should be done with it.

Absolutely. It's a(nother) travesty it was left to get to this stage. You nailed it by saying tastes, technology and acquisition means have changed radically. Nowerdays an exhibit of new or future wares is out of date too fast. It can be updated on the Internet in seconds but a physical display takes far longer. The public is used to having the latest information available at their fingertips. Anywhere. The global neighbourhood and electronic highway - trumpeted in 1994 Epcot - have now helped to kill it.

Maybe it's time to return more to the Communicore model of more displays and learning as opposed to a showroom. But using Disney - or overall sponsor - designed themes as opposed to niche products and subjects. More Age of Information mural and Backstage Magic rather than IBM and Sega sponsored product displays. Tie into other themes around the park, like Energy Exchange did. Though you'd also need a viable and up to date pavilion to tie into.

If TWDC can't even fill the relatively small Innoventions north east floor space with something interesting then it's a sad day. Tear down the window covers. Make the space inviting again for those who can handle more than two E tickets. Install an exhibit on how the parks are run again. History of Epcot. History of computing. History of cellphones. There's so much scope.

Innoventions north west is a disaster. It is huge. If they can't fill it with displays then fill it with a dark ride. Make it fun. Make it futuristic. Make it Epcot theme based (if they can find one). Tie it into the park. Seas with Nemo showed how cheap a simple dark ride can be installed in an existing building. A simple busbar flat ride system and clever show sets would be easy to do. Just keep the meet n greets and shopping where they are. Character spot takes up valuable eating space. Mouse Gear is twice the size of Centorium selling not just items available property wide but items that have no place in Epcot.

I'll say it again. Like Imagination, Energy and Wonders, so much could be gained from so little outlay. It just needs a little money, a little time, some vision and the will to actually get it done.

But what do I know.

Jon81uk

Maybe. But a good exhibit at Disney can reach a MASSIVE number of potential customers. And customers with enough affluence to pay for a Disney vacation. Much more valuable than a web banner.

I wonder though if part of the problem is that Disney itself has become such a global conglomerate, that it's hard to find other companies that they aren't directly competitive with. Take a "technology" company like Sony -- But Sony also makes television and movies, making it a direct competitor of Disney. Making both companies less likely to plan a cooperative exhibit.
People that are truly interested in new technology will seek out websites/magazines about it. We're not talking about banner ads, they aren't really relevant anymore. Unfortunately those people who are likely to seek out tech news are more likely to enter Innoventions too, the casual browser is less likely to even go into the building.

You know what would be even better? Take the innoventions building- and theme it to a specific IP. Then, instead of a stationary arm- you can have it where the arm picks up a ride device and moves on a track through show scenes. You can even load as an omnimover due to the arm picking it up later. Capacity would be huge- and the ride would be cutting edge. It would be brilliant!
Not sure if you were using sarcasm, as you just described Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. That uses Kuka arms to take you through show scenes and projection domes with the arms on an omnimover track.

The tables have turned. If Disney were to approach Apple today, Apple's question would probably be how much Disney would be willing to pay them to have their name used on something in Disney's park. (I know you get this Steve, I'm just riffing off your statement ;))

People want to see stuff from these companies. They don't have to pay to get in front of audiences in unique ways like they once had to. Having any of those brands that Steve mentions above attached to an attraction at Disney would boost the appeal of the attraction. Sponsorships are supposed to work the other way around.

Seimens is a great example of a sponsorship that can still work. They're a big company with deep pockets that most people know little or nothing about and who clearly have an interest in boosting their name recognition and aren't just trying to peddle a single product or two.

Due to Steve Jobs being a big investor into Pixar there already is a good tie between Disney and Apple, they often use Disney content to demo Apple tech (look at the help page for Siri, under films some of the questions you could ask are "what is the new Pixar film?" "Where are Disney films showing?" etc.)
If Apple wanted to demo stuff at Epcot they would be, but again most fans of Apple watch the speeches given by Tim Cook at launches and people with a more casual interest visit the Apple Store. They don't need to show off at Epcot.

Last edited:

StageFrenzy

You know what would be even better? Take the innoventions building- and theme it to a specific IP. Then, instead of a stationary arm- you can have it where the arm picks up a ride device and moves on a track through show scenes. You can even load as an omnimover due to the arm picking it up later. Capacity would be huge- and the ride would be cutting edge. It would be brilliant!
Not sure if serious...

MrPromey

If Apple wanted to demo stuff at Epcot they would be, but again most fans of Apple Watch the speeches given by Tim Cook at launches and people with a more casual interest visit the Apple Store. They don't need to show off at Epcot.

Exactly! Apple doesn't pay for product placement either but if you took movies and TV as fact, you'd get the idea that Macs are a lot more in use in the world than they really are, simply because many in Hollywood prefer them*. While the depiction if iPhone usage in entertainment media is a little more realistic, Apple isn't paying for that, either.

*it doesn't hurt that Apple usually doesn't ask for their loaner equipment back after it's used but a producer getting a free laptop is a heck of a lot cheaper than a paid placement deal. I'm sure Microsoft, Sony, HP, etc. would KILL for that arrangement.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
People that are truly interested in new technology will seek out websites/magazines about it. We're not talking about banner ads, they aren't really relevant anymore. Unfortunately those people who are likely to seek out tech news are more likely to enter Innoventions too, the casual browser is less likely to even go into the building.

Not sure if you were using sarcasm, as you just described Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. That uses Kuka arms to take you through show scenes and projection domes with the arms on an omnimover track.

Due to Steve Jobs being a big investor into Pixar there already is a good tie between Disney and Apple, they often use Disney content to demo Apple tech (look at the help page for Siri, under films some of the questions you could ask are "what is the new Pixar film?" "Where are Disney films showing?" etc.)
If Apple wanted to demo stuff at Epcot they would be, but again most fans of Apple watch the speeches given by Tim Cook at launches and people with a more casual interest visit the Apple Store. They don't need to show off at Epcot.

Apple is in the computer business and so is HP, so I don't think Disney could do anything with Apple unless HP's contract doesn't get renewed.

matt9112

I beg to differ... At least, for people my age. Teens/Young Adults. My group of 4 friends claimed that this was there favorite thing in Epcot that I took them to. Because they could design a thrill ride to fit their needs or whatever. They said something similar to that.

There is something pretty awesome about designing your own loops and turns and how "fast" a coaster will go. It is also a big thing to be said, that SUM of all thrills is only one of two attractions at WDW that goes upside down. Unless I'm mistaken and Rockin' doesnt go upside down, then it is the only one.

Go to six flags.....that's your argument. Essentially I'm not devaluing the attraction however.

theRIOT

Again, if I may. The history of the buildings.

Martin,

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed all your videos, but especially these two. I've watched them over and over again. I never got to experience the original EPCOT Center or Communicore. Your videos are great service to the fans.

Cheers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom