Guns At Disney

niteobsrvr

Original Poster
The following article is running in the Orlando Sentinel:

Disney defends right to sell toy guns

By Robert Johnson | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted October 28, 2002

Guns -- of the toy variety -- are in ready supply at Walt Disney World more than a year after Disneyland in California stopped selling them or featuring them in that theme park's attractions.

Rows of $16 wooden muskets and $10 antique-style pistols are popular souvenirs in both the Magic Kingdom's Frontierland and the park's Pirates of the Caribbean store. Six-shooters reminiscent of the one used by "Texas" John Slaughter, a 1950s Disney television hero played by Tom Tryon, are offered in red holsters.

In this post-Sept. 11 era of heightened security that includes searches for possible weapons in guests' bags, the Magic Kingdom -- Disney World's top-drawing park -- continues to feature a shooting gallery as well as toy rifles with sound effects that are aimed through shooting slits to protect the wooden fort on Tom Sawyer's Island.

All of this has prompted criticism from some guests in recent days, as news about the sniper shootings in the Washington area attracted the attention of news media worldwide.

"It just seems a complete contradiction to be selling toy guns at a time when security searches are trying to detect concealed weapons and explosives that may be about to be used by terrorists," said Les Wright, a tourist from Oldham, England.

Disney World spokeswoman Jacquee Polak disagrees.

"The toys we have available for our guests are designed as props and for make-believe play," she said. "Believing that parents know their children best, we have always respected our guests' ability to choose what is an appropriate toy for their children."

Wright, a 47-year-old public-housing manager, said the guns appear to conflict with Disney's professed ideals.

"Disney prides itself in supporting traditional family values. It should set a better example," Wright said.

But other tourists see the toy guns as harmless.

"They are presented here as an important part of American history," said Marilyn McCormick as she visited Tom Sawyer's Island last week. As her 4- and 8-year-old sons loaded a cannon from a faux powder keg and squeezed off rifle shots from the fort, she said, "We can't deny our past, in which firearms played a important part."

Polak said guest feedback is a "hallmark of our business, and this has not been an issue for our guests." Further, she said that toy guns represent "a small, small fraction of our merchandise offerings."

Walt Disney Co. has always struggled to strike a balance between fantasy and political reality. Guns, the treatment of animals, racial and gender stereotypes -- all have prompted the tourism giant to tweak attractions over the years.

Well before terrorists struck Sept. 11, 2001, California passed a law banning the sale of realistic-looking toy guns. Lawmakers there acted after the 1999 fatal shootings of 14 students and one teacher at Columbine High School in Colorado.

In response to the state law, Disneyland stopped peddling all but its Space Age-style ray guns and even removed violent video games from its arcades. Officials there also removed the sound-effect rifles from Disneyland's version of Tom Sawyer's Island.

Disney World was ahead of its Southern California counterpart in removing fake guns from one attraction: the Jungle Cruise in Adventureland. Disney World disarmed its boat guides -- who had long wielded pistols to scare off animatronic hippos -- in 1998.

That was about the same time that the Central Florida resort opened its Animal Kingdom park, which is partly a zoo and has live hippopotamuses. Disney World officials decided it didn't seem right to be promoting wildlife in one park and frightening fake animals with faux firearms in another.

At SeaWorld in Orlando, guns aren't part of either the shows or the souvenir stores, spokeswoman Becca Biddes said.

At Universal Orlando, the Jaws ride still involves a play-acting guide fending off a killer shark with a rifle. But the resort's toy-gun selection is limited to whirring, Space Age models at the store adjacent to the Men in Black ride.

Jim Canfield, a Universal spokesman, said those toy guns aren't realistic and are designed to express the comedic mood of both the Men in Black movies and the ride. In the science-fiction comedy, all the guns are used against alien monsters.

"The merchandise is consistent with the fun of Men in Black," he said.

Polak said Disney World's guns aren't sinister in appearance either.

"We make sure the toy guns we sell are manufactured and packaged to look like a toy with brightly colored orange safety caps to make sure there is clear distinction."

I have to agree with Disney on this one. Parents are responsiblefor their children and what they buy. They are also responsible for what the child does with those purchases.

I know I am going to offend some people here but so be it.

Being Politically Correct does not solve problems in our society. It only serves to sweep them under the rug. Where is the dialogue and communication in being politically correct?

If we all want the world to be a better place and clear up our differences, we need to talk to each other and be honest where it be about guns, race, or any other present day social issue.

Taking guns out of Disney wont prevent events like those in the news lately but parents, children , friends and family who talk and debate just might.

lamarvenoy

Here we go again. The fact that they banned the guns in California is not surprising to me at all, they are a very very liberal state. California is known for there anti-gun laws as well as a host of anti-other stuff laws and granola hippy peace love-not-war attitude. The guns sold at WDW are replicas of pre-1900 flintlock antiques. They barely could even pass as a toy "gun" the rifles are onle 3 feet long and pistols are 14 inches long and are not scary, they even have big orange caps at the end of the barrel. As for the shooting gallery,it is in the taste and correct time period as an old west mining town,guns were a part of life. The most disturbing thing is the thought of removing the guns from Tom Sawyers Island. The old fort would not be a fort if it were held off without guns. Guns tamed the west and gave us a signifigant advantage against all enemies and terrain while migrating West. The removal of these toys would be a slap in the face to every American who owns a gun or knows history. The NRA would surely act on this. People, we are in an ever changing world politically and I urge everyone to own at least one gun, gun bans seem to be on the horizon and in this unpredictable society your best bet is to even the odds.Not everyone should own a bunch of machine guns(just me) but a longgun or shotgun would be ample protection against an attack.

dreamer

An example of yellow journalism.

So should they close Pirates?

What about Haunted Mansion? -- there are alot of people offended by that. It's the evil spirits that are going around telling people shoot those guns, isn't it?

Should DW then stop selling alcohol because some people don't want them to?

They can't give in to every opinion that floats by.

Bairstow

I think Disney is right in sticking to its, er, guns here. :D Since when did firearms run counter to "traditional family values?" American culture is practically founded on guns and their use, from the ideal of the cowboy to the entirity of "Southern hospitality" and gentility. And traditionally it was an American right of passage to be taught by your father to shoot a rifle, and in places where ample woods are available it still is. Call them outdated and violent if you will, but the civillian ownership, if not still a cornerstone of what shaped our society was certainly a key in its formation. Disney certainly doesn't have anything against paintball guns on property either, judging from this article on a tournament held yesterday.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
While I don't share the enthusiasm of the "Everybody should own at least one gun" theory, I do stand by Disney here. I mean, lazers may be involved in some huge disaster in the future. Should we ban toy laser guns and laser pointers now, "Just in case"? I think not.

Let the kids have their fun. They know it's make believe and, if raised right, they will be able to distinguish between make believe gun-play, and real life consequences of guns.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
Taking guns out of Disney wont prevent events like those in the news lately but parents, children , friends and family who talk and debate just might.

:sohappy: :sohappy:

Bairstow

Re: Tom Sawyer gun

Originally posted by crazyquackers
I thought they removed the guns from the fort on Tom Sawyer Island months ago...

I thought they did too. Something about a girl cutting her finger off on the trigger guard when she slipped and fell.

crazyquackers

Kilamanjaro Safari

In addition to removing the rifles from Tom Sawyer, I seem to remember the Park Ranger at the end of Kilamanjaro Safaris holding an automatic rifle. Now they just wave a walkie-talkie at the captured poachers. Menacingly, of course...

niteobsrvr

Original Poster
I just wanted to let everyone know the article I posted from the Sentinel is actually an Associated Press article. IT looks as though it is making the rounds here in FLorida pretty quickly as it has now appaeared on a local TV station Website and in the Palm Beach Post.

While not entirely impossible that AP picked up on the subject matter on its own, I wonder if someones PR machine isn't behind it.

niteobsrvr

Original Poster
Originally posted by lamarvenoy
Here we go again. The fact that they banned the guns in California is not surprising to me at all, they are a very very liberal state.

I don't evaulate things in terms of Liberal and Conservative. I would much rather ask, "Where is every American's Backbone?".

SLowly but surely over the last 25 years, the average American has let an extremely vocal minority of political activists, politicians, and religous zealots change the way we conduct our lives by chipping away at our freedoms under the guise of being politically correct or moving to a higher "moral" standard.

Fido

I don't own a gun or care about them, but it really angers me that people can get so extreme with being PC. I wish more people would take responsibility for their own actions and that of their children, instead of trying to pressure others into conforming with their fragile state of being. Banning toy guns, books, or anything else that a select few are frightened of isn't going to solve jack squat.

And leave WDW alone!:mad:

SnowWhite5669

We should all be a little more concerned about real guns being near our children than fake/play guns!! They are toys!! It should be the responsibility of the parent to monitor what their children do and don't leave it up to the toy manufacturers and retailers!! I have to go renew my NRA membership......

niteobsrvr

Original Poster
from snowwhite5669
"Tomorrow will be better for as long as America Keeps Alive the Ideals of Freedom and a Better Life" Walt Disney

WOW, I hadn't run across that quote before. Its exactly what we are talking about though.

I know many people would interpret "better life" to mean one without guns and violence. I too would love a Utopian World like that. Realistically, thats not going to happen.

A better life can be a lot of different things but mostly it is an intangible concept, a feeling or state of being, more so than something supported by physical evidence.

You can have all the money in world, but that isn't necessarily a better life, just one with more money.

SnowWhite5669

It was on a card in our paychecks the week of 9/11 with a special Mickey pin. It was also on a card given out in the Disney Stores on 9/11 on this year.

SamatBCV

As for the guns in the fort on Tom Sawyer island. They are still there as of September.

I would hate to see the guns stop being sold in MK. When I was a kid, everytime we went I saved up my money to buy one. That was of course before they started putting those big orange caps on the end.

A toy gun is not going to make a child a killer. His/her upbringing makes the person what they are. The responsibility is on the parents.

crazyquackers

Originally posted by SamatBCV
As for the guns in the fort on Tom Sawyer island. They are still there as of September.

They weren't there in January of 2002. Maybe they removed them and people complained so they put them back. More likely they were probably rehabbing them.

westie

It was a sad day on the JC when a cast member had to threaten the hippo to stay away. Whats next, hand amputation for fighting? It reminds me of the holy grail,"Come back here and I"ll bite you to death!!"

SamatBCV

Originally posted by westie
It was a sad day on the JC when a cast member had to threaten the hippo to stay away. Whats next, hand amputation for fighting? It reminds me of the holy grail,"Come back here and I"ll bite you to death!!"

GOOD ONE
:lol:

Crazyquackers, that's probably it. When we were there, when you pull the trigger there is a gunshot noise. It souded pretty clean to me, not like it had been around for 20 years, so they were probably updating that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom