Gunn Returns

Kamikaze

It is being reported that James Gunn has been rehired by Disney for "Guardians of the Galaxy 3"

This has to be the most disgusting disspointing decision Disney has ever made, and outweighs any price increases, quality control, and reduction of benefits ever. Does this mean Roseanne and John Lasseter will return as well? I bet not.

Very poor judgement Disney.

Wait, you're actually serious?

Kamikaze

And it has nothing to do with Walt Disney World either.

To be fair, it kind of does, since he was (is?) supposed to be involved with the GotG ride. They were going to film the characters appearances during the GotG filming. Not sure if James Gunn was going to direct the actual footage or not.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
Wait, you're actually serious?

You don't have a problem with his behavior? The 10 years ago argument doesn't work either because that would make him a man in his 40's saying the things he said, not a naive teen. This also occurred over years, not just a single lapse in poor judgement. Very creepy, very offensive. He was given a second chance working with Warner Brothers. There is not a single reason I can buy into that would find his return to Disney acceptable.

The first elementary google search for his remarks:

It is not even remotely funny, and no matter what angle I look at it, I cannot defend him.

Kamikaze

You don't have a problem with his behavior? The 10 years ago argument doesn't work either because that would make him a man in his 40's saying the things he said, not a naive teen. This also occurred over years, not just a single lapse in poor judgement. Very creepy, very offensive. He was given a second chance working with Warner Brothers. There is not a single reason I can buy into that would find his return to Disney acceptable.

It is not even remotely funny, and no matter what angle I look at it, I cannot defend him.

He was working for Troma at the time, which was an edgy company with edgy humor. They were JOKES. He was being paid to be edgy and push limits. He wasn't actually advocating doing anything. You do know that edgy humor is a thing. That such 'things' are done all the damn time? Do you know that Buzz Lightyear's voice (Tim Allen) is one of the filthiest comedians in the history of ever? Should Disney fire him too?

Secondly, the tweets were ONLY brought up because he was talking about Trump. Period. And who were they brought up by? Mike Cernovich. The insane 'Pizzagate' guy. He did it to try to 'get' Gunn. Period. He didn't care about the tweets, only that he could use them to try and get 'revenge' for Gunn being liberal. Do you know what started it? Gunn pledged $100k to charity if Trump would dare getting on a scale and get his weight verified.

You can say this isn't political all you want, but it 100% was. Thats all it was. The actual tweets/jokes didn't matter.

You don't have to defend him. You should just go 'oh, its a joke' and move on. Nothing more is needed.

Darkprime

Given the fact that no director would agree to take on the project and the cast was basically saying it was either Gunn or no deal. They really had no choice Disney wasn't about to throw away millions of dollars.

Darkprime

They were bad jokes. I think we can all agree. At the very least I hope Gunn has a social media manager now to verify anything he wants to tweet.

drizgirl

They were bad jokes. I think we can all agree. At the very least I hope Gunn has a social media manager now to verify anything he wants to tweet.
Sort of like how Disney sent a handler with Lasseter when he went out?

Honestly, if he's just being better controlled, it doesn't make him a better person.

sedati

Why would you defend him?
He was wrong. He admitted it. He made no excuses. He didn't try to take anyone down with him, nor did he attack his attackers or the company that fired him. He didn't defend himself, why should you? But this isn't about defending his past actions.
People make mistakes. You don't have to defend a mistake. But you should be open to allowing someone to admit to one, and move past it. Doesn't mean it's forgotten or even forgiven. Just means an understanding has been met and progress can be made.

CalebS

I have no problem with this even though he may be an idiot I don’t care either way. What I will say is the same people thankful he got his job back because they like his work probably are some of the same people who think that others whos work they don’t like should be fired for similar comments from the past.

bclane

There is no way to defend those tweets imho. They were TERRIBLE. But I also don’t believe they represent who he is today. And since I also believe that he has basically done everything right in the aftermath I don’t personally have a problem with Disney taking a second chance on him. I’m actually quite happy about it. For me, it’s extremely important that he never tried to defend himself or make excuses. That is the difference between him and the some of the other names brought up. I believe he is truly sorry and is a different person today. As a Christian I believe in forgiveness and second chances. Things would be different for me if he’d actually done the things he tweeted about. If he turns out he really did those things, I’m sure God can forgive him (if he was truly repentent) but I still wouldn’t want him representing Disney in that situation. JMHO.

sedati

This man must now be the most vetted talent in Hollywood. Aside from convincing them initially that he could make the change from Troma to family friendly, I assume WB did some homework before handing him a job after the firing. And I’ve no doubt Disney and Alan Horn were thorough before inviting him back into the fold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom