Pre-Trip Guinobi: The Journey Begins

So much to share/discuss in this pre-trip report.

To start with, I want to say thanks to everyone who has given their well wishes, thoughts and prayers to my mom in my last trip report. i'll update that situation a little later.

there are many unusual titles in this section. i think it's great! much creativity amongst the users here on wdwmagic. i hope the title to my pre-trip report was unusual enough to grab your attention and want to read. well, the title is also going to be the title for our wedding reception. guinobi is a mesh of mine, and my fiance's, nicknames we have in a facebook group that we are in. my nickname is obi, hence the reason i have it as my username here, and her's is guinefer. for those that watch the show big bang theory you probably heard of sheldon and amy being referred to as shamy. that is how jennifer and i became guinobi.

we are getting married on october 11th. as many of you know, i proposed to her, and became engaged, last september in disneyworld. we will be celebrating our disneymoon at wdw.

to get back to what i was talking about earlier, our reception will be held in a theater owned by my boss' family. there's a marquee out front, a movie shadowbox inside where we will put together a movie poster of us in it, and we will also have tickets printed up, and sent out, with the invitations. keeping with that theme we knew we had to come up with a title. movie title-like. so, i came up with the title guinobi: the journey begins to signify that we are getting married and beginning our journey together as a married couple.

this pre-trip report will share a lot of the process leading up to the wedding, and a trip report of our disneymoon.

just an update on my mom, for those that are curious as to how she's doing. she's hanging in there. she still has cancer. she was taking a severe cocktail of chemo as treatment to help give her another year or two of life. she had to stop taking the chemo because her body just couldn't take anymore of it. they are now giving her a medication that is supposed to prevent the cancer cells from getting into the bloodstream and spreading throughout her body. one of the side-effects from this med is that it does cause blood clots to form. so, now she has to have more tests done to stay on top of the clots and have them taken care of as quickly as possible.

she has said, on many occasions, that it is her wish to go to wdw one more time with the whole immediate family. that is a lot of people, and the earliest we can make that happen would be september of 2015. i talked to my brother about seeing if we can make this wish of hers come true. we are going to try. we are just hoping that she is still alive, and able to go, by the time it comes around. so, there may be another pre-trip/trip report on that coming later...

in the meantime, we are going to focus on just getting through this wedding and disneymoon. we are renting dvc points, and were trying to get a room in animal kingdom villas, but by the time we were able to book there wasn't availability for what we wanted. so, we went with saratoga springs. which is fine with me because i've stayed there before and really enjoyed it. it will also be jennifer's first time there. she saw videos of the resort and the rooms. she is really looking forward to it!

i'll stop for now, but i'll try to keep this updated as things go along.

DisneyPrincess5

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon! One of my best friends is getting married the same day-it's lucky! I love your wedding theme and how personal you're making it with your nicknames.

So sorry to hear about your mom but glad to hear she is hanging in. Best wishes for her and you as a family.

Happy planning for your big day and honeymoon!

Obi

Original Poster
dp5,

thanks...

that is cool that your friend is getting married on the same day. we thought it would be cool to have tickets made up. we were thinking of doing it like a movie premier kind of thing. maybe have a red carpet out front. also thinking about putting together a little video to show during the reception.

DisneyPrincess5

dp5,

thanks...

that is cool that your friend is getting married on the same day. we thought it would be cool to have tickets made up. we were thinking of doing it like a movie premier kind of thing. maybe have a red carpet out front. also thinking about putting together a little video to show during the reception.
That sounds awesome. You guys and your guests will have a great night.

FlaggNL

thanks. Should be a good time.

Off course it will be ;) we married in 2010 and had a short honeymoon to DLP. Only sad thing is DLP does not allow just married couples to take pictures inside DLP so we took some pictures at highlights in Paris and on Perre La Chaisse...... The cementary where Jim Morrisson, Edith Piaf and Karel Appel are burried..... Strange for wedding pictures but great pictures!!

Obi

Original Poster
wow! that sucks that dlp did not allow just married couples to have pictures taken inside....

Obi

Original Poster
well.....

it is with an extremely heavy heart that i'm posting to let everyone know that my mom passed away on may 25th.... the cancer spread throughout her lungs. nothing we could do but make her as comfortable as possible....

as of now i'm trying to get back into some resemblance of normality and routine....

it's been discussed on whether we should carry on with one of her final wishes. that being getting the whole immediate family together to go to disney world. it was because of my folks that i caught the love for disney world. we, as of right now, are going to try and make that happen in honor of her...

i do feel bad that she won't be able to attend my wedding physically, but i do know her spirit will be there...

for now, it's moving forward with the wedding and disneymoon...

Nemo14

Sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. Take comfort in the fact that you did all you could to make her last days so memorable, and that she's in a far better place now. And you're right about her spirit being with you at your wedding - trust me, you'll know she's there smiling. ((Hugs))

stevehousse

Sorry to hear of your loss. About 6 moths after my mom passed we decided as a family to go to wdw because it was her favorite place to vacation! She got us all hooked! The trip was bittersweet and we made sure to do all the attractions and parades and shows that were her favorite! It was bittersweet! We all shed a year or 2 at various points doing that wishing she was here will us, but she was spiritually.

Go ahead with ur vacation as it what she would have wanted u guys to do!

mrdrift

I'm very sorry for your family's loss and my heart goes to all of you. I can full understand the feelings that you are going through, 3 weeks before my wedding my wifes grandmother passed then on top off that one month after our wedding her mother passed, both from cancer. Just know your mother is in a better place and things will get better for you and your family. God bless. Will be watching for more trip news.

Obi

Original Poster
thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes...

it's been tough, but i know it'll get easier with time....

hopefully, as a family, we can make my mom's wish a reality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom