Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
You may as well try and go for the studio, but fair warning: previously, DVC units were very, very competitive and difficult to book. I know that they've finished a new DVC addition at DLH and that may help alleviate this a bit, but I'm not sure to what degree that has helped make booking easier.

If that doesn't work out, there are plenty of reasonable options offsite. DL onsite hotels, while nice, tend to be very expensive with minimal perks.

If you decide to extend your vacation to any part of California beyond DLR, I highly recommend a split hotel stay.
My husband won't even entertain a trip to DL without going to other parts of California (he's not a Disney guy like I am but has been out to CA many times) 😂 We will likely be spending a few days either before or after our DL stint exploring other parts of Southern CA.

dmw

In the Parks
No
My husband won't even entertain a trip to DL without going to other parts of California (he's not a Disney guy like I am but has been out to CA many times) 😂 We will likely be spending a few days either before or after our DL stint exploring other parts of Southern CA.
There is soooo much to see/do in SoCal - not just in the LA area. If you are able to get down to San Diego, there is even more to see/do. We've lived in San Diego and LA - love to visit and enjoy all there is to do, but glad we don't live there anymore.

Disney Analyst

Can anyone confirm for me, reservations appear at 6am? And is website or app best place to try from?

Should you go to the main reservation page for all places, or the specific page for the venue? Trying to get Trader Sam’s…

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Can anyone confirm for me, reservations appear at 6am? And is website or app best place to try from?

Should you go to the main reservation page for all places, or the specific page for the venue? Trying to get Trader Sam’s…
6am pacific time. I always use the app and have done a mix of the main reservation page and the Trader Sam’s page for getting reservations with success.

Some things like the world of color dessert party get released early.

PiratesMansion

Hoping only 2 of us helps… wonder if I should swing by early to speak to a host before and ask if it’s possible 😅
Yeah, probably not a bad idea to get there a bit early.

Depends a bit on when you're heading over there too. If you're going to eat there when they open, you should be fine. Otherwise, it depends entirely on what the seating situation is like inside at the moment.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
That’s what I did for my first visit. Do not regret it at all! It’s a beautiful state.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Knott's Berry Farm: is one day enough? I was thinking of doing 4 days at DL and 2 days at Knott's, but now I'm thinking maybe one day at Knott's is enough (not planning on the water park). Thoughts?

PiratesMansion

Knott's Berry Farm: is one day enough? I was thinking of doing 4 days at DL and 2 days at Knott's, but now I'm thinking maybe one day at Knott's is enough (not planning on the water park). Thoughts?
I would say one day is enough for Knott's. Perhaps invest in Fastlane if you want to make extra sure you do everything you want to, Knott's has really slow ops.

PiratesMansion

Thanks. I'm planning on going on a Thursday in October, so maybe lower crowds. Maybe.
Oh, October actually makes a huge difference. In my head I defaulted to thinking you were talking about Summer.

October at Knott's is weird because Haunt is their busy season, but Haunt is also an upcharge, so if you go during the regular operating day (which will run from like 9-5 or something similar), it'll be pretty dead, but everything will be open and staffed because once the place reopens for Scary Farm at 7, the place will be bananas crowded.

They often don't even sell Fastlane during weekdays that time of the year because it's that dead. And it's even more dead on Monday and Tuesday because there's no Haunt later in the day.

If you DO like scary Halloween events I highly recommend Haunt, one of the best theme park haunts in the entire industry and puts Universal Hollywood's to shame.

Do give yourself more time at the beginning of the day than you normally would to account for the parking situation. Parking at Knott's is split among several lots, and it will likely be poorly explained where you need to go with little to no signage-and what little signage there is also has a nasty habit of disppearing before you reach your final destination! They'll probably send you to what would normally be the waterpark lot across the street from the park, and in the past you could reach it via a very sudden left turn to an underpass from the main road; last October, however, I had to access it by taking a left on Crescent and then Beach before accessing it to the right. The only consistent regarding Knott's parking is its inconsistency.

Last edited:

surfsupdon

I am heading West for my first time since 2017 because of my runDisney Halloween Half!!! Can’t wait. Doing one Park Day, Sept 8. Man, it is expensive!!! 1Day Park Hopper at 234 each! Anyone know of any discounts or promotions?? Thank you.

PiratesMansion

I am heading West for my first time since 2017 because of my runDisney Halloween Half!!! Can’t wait. Doing one Park Day, Sept 8. Man, it is expensive!!! 1Day Park Hopper at 234 each! Anyone know of any discounts or promotions?? Thank you.
Unfortunately, it's very unlikely for there to be any discounts on one day tickets.

MonorailRed

Applebees
We're heading over to DLR next May for the first time since 2013.

Has anyone stayed at The Westin Anaheim Resort? We're looking to do that instead of an onsite hotel. Or any better recommendations in the area?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

Has anyone stayed at The Westin Anaheim Resort? We're looking to do that instead of an onsite hotel. Or any better recommendations in the area?
I've never stayed at The Westin, but have heard it is pretty nice. Mind you, it's about a mile-long walk to the gates if you walk, but you can also take the ART bus.

For a little less money you could just stay at one on the hotels across the street on Harbor. They won't be as upscale, but they are still nice rooms and being that close means a short walk after a long day and easier to take breaks mid-day.

It really comes down to several factors. Maybe you have rewards at Marriot and it is cheaper for you. For me it varies from trip to trip.....whether I fly or drive, what my budget is for that trip, how many days I'm spending at the parks, how close I wanna be to the parks, etc. I've stayed at hotels ranging from across the street to ones over by Knott's.

I haven't stayed at all the hotels on Harbor, only Park Vue Inn, Anaheim Desert Inn, and Grand Legacy, but there are many YouTube videos of people reviewing and giving tours of all the hotels there across the street.

Disney Analyst

We stayed at The Element, not a crazy walk, it had breakfast every day, free happy hour during the week, and was a nice, brand new, modern hotel. We really liked it, but also got a really good price for our room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom