Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
WDW vet making a Disneyland trip soon. Because the trip is soon I have been speed reading too much and missing important details, so I apologize for asking a repeated question. As a WDW vet I am used to Genie+ with the 2 hour window and I thought I had read that disneyland genie+ didn't have the 2 hour window, that you had to either wait till you got to the ride or your window passed. but as I skimmed through this thread someone mentioned the 2 hour window. Can you book a genie+ reservation 2 hours after your last one if your ride window is more than 2 hours away? Update - I kept researching this, and it was actually very hard to find, but I did finally see two websites say that the 120 minute window does exist in disneyland too. SO THE ANSWER IS YES, THEY DO HAVE A 120 MINUTE WINDOW.
That is correct, there is a 120 minute window. The rule is simply this: When you book a Lightning Lane, you are not eligible to book your next one until you either redeem the current one, or 120 minutes have passed...whichever comes first. This means that if you book a LL which has a return time 6 hours ahead, in 2 hours you can book another and essentially be holding two. If you use that second one, but the first is still not redeemed, you can still book another one.

I can't really answer the other questions as I've never flown into LAX nor have I ever stayed at any of the on-property hotels.

KCheatle

WDW vet making a Disneyland trip soon. Because the trip is soon I have been speed reading too much and missing important details, so I apologize for asking a repeated question. As a WDW vet I am used to Genie+ with the 2 hour window and I thought I had read that disneyland genie+ didn't have the 2 hour window, that you had to either wait till you got to the ride or your window passed. but as I skimmed through this thread someone mentioned the 2 hour window. Can you book a genie+ reservation 2 hours after your last one if your ride window is more than 2 hours away? Update - I kept researching this, and it was actually very hard to find, but I did finally see two websites say that the 120 minute window does exist in disneyland too. SO THE ANSWER IS YES, THEY DO HAVE A 120 MINUTE WINDOW.

We only have two days in the park (too many other things we want to try to see... i fear I will regret not having more days). We had booked to fly into a closer airport, but switching planes with two young ones made us change course and now we fly into LAX. We will have our car seats, but won't rent a car till end of the week. Would you suggest Lift/Uber are the best option to get to our hotel in Anaheim?

We are staying one night at Grand California, wondering if it is possible to check in, drop off our luggage and still use early entry. I read that you can check in early and use early entry, has anyone done this? we are staying within walking distance the night before; just not sure we will want to walk with all our luggage if we are in "rush" to use early entry.

One other question to add - I know in WDW they updated genie+ now that you can now modify your genie+ reservations. Was this update done in disneyland. Update - I was told that you can also MODIFY a disneyland genie+ as well.

Always love reading this thread. Hope the tips keep coming, it is so useful for us WDW nerds...

Hi!! We just went in April so hopefully I can guide you a little bit.

As for genie+, you're correct that there is a 2-hour window. But I find it difficult to believe you will actually need that. Genie+ does not fill up like it does in WDW. We would book at Genie+, scan our bands for that ride, and immediately book another one for the same time period for the next ride. We just hopped from ride to ride on it. We also noticed, again unlike WDW, was most people don't use Genie+ there. They're predominately locals, so I think they don't feel they need it? That's why you can book it for redemption so soon. And you will also see there is virtually little to no wait in the Genie+ line there. In WDW, we'll still wait 15-20 minutes with Genie+. There, it's a walk on. A lot more like it is at Universal. The biggest thing we noticed is you cannot use Genie+ until you enter the park. So, unlike WDW where you can stack all day even if you're not there yet, you cannot do that at the Disneyland resort parks. Little hack on that is that you can take the monorail from Downtown Disney into Tomorrowland. When you scan you band for that, you are considered "in the park," and you can start using Genie+.

Another hack is don't use Genie+ in the morning if you want to ride the ride again that night. The parks are pretty dead until about 2-3 pm when locals start showing up. Then it becomes nuts. Around that afternoon time, start watching the Genie+ return times to make sure you don't miss them if you want to use it at night. Same thing for mobile ordering food. If you want to mobile order breakfast or lunch, you probably don't need to pay much attention to it. However, if you want to mobile order during dinner, place that order early in the day so the locals don't snatch up all the time slots.

As for the modification, I'm not sure we ever tried to modify?? I don't remember having issues one way or another with that.

As for the airport, we also flew into LAX, but we rented a car. I did see several shuttles drive by was we waited for our bus to the rental car company that had service down to Disneyland? So, I would look into that. It might be cheaper and more convenient?

I can't imagine GC wouldn't let you drop off your luggage once your check in. There is someone at the check in desk 24/7, so if you get there early enough, it shouldn't be a problem to get early entry. You could call the front desk though just to make sure?

A couple little notes on GC in case you don't already know. First, there is an excellent balcony area where you can see World of Color. It's on the DVC side of the hotel. Second, there is a separate entrance/exit over in that area as well. Most people know about the entrance to California Adventure by the GC pool. But, there is another one that is supposed to be for Pixar hotel people, but they let anyone with a resort key use it (right now anyway). It puts you in Pixar Pier. If you are staying for World of Color, it's an easier way to get back into the hotel than navigating all the way back through the park. Third, in the little quick service restaurant by the pool, they have a hotdog of the month. It's pretty great if you're a hotdog person ;-)

BuddyThomas

Question, and sorry if this was answered already, because this thread is 48 pages long - do you have to buy, or is it recommended to buy magic bands? We splurged and bought park hopper, genie plus tickets and I still have not had time to sit down and figure out how to link this to phone, bands, etc. It all seems overly complicated but maybe I'm overthinking it. Maybe just go to the concierge when we get to the hotel (on property) and let them help us figure it out?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Question, and sorry if this was answered already, because this thread is 48 pages long - do you have to buy, or is it recommended to buy magic bands? We splurged and bought park hopper, genie plus tickets and I still have not had time to sit down and figure out how to link this to phone, bands, etc. It all seems overly complicated but maybe I'm overthinking it. Maybe just go to the concierge when we get to the hotel (on property) and let them help us figure it out?
No you don't need to buy MBs, you can use the app for everything if you don't mind having your phone always available.

If you want to use MBs, you have to link all the tickets in the app first. And then link the ticket to the MB through the app. Basically everything is done through the app including managing the MBs.

Note that at DLR MBs are only used for scanning at the entrance, FP+/LL redemption, and PhotoPass. Its not like WDW where you can also use them for other things like purchases.

Guest Services in the Parks, don't know if Disney Hotels at DLR help you or not, can help you link everything if you have trouble.

You can find more information on how to setup MBs for DLR here:

BuddyThomas

No you don't need to buy MBs, you can use the app for everything if you don't mind having your phone always available.

If you want to use MBs, you have to link all the tickets in the app first. And then link the ticket to the MB through the app. Basically everything is done through the app including managing the MBs.

Note that at DLR MBs are only used for scanning at the entrance, FP+/LL redemption, and PhotoPass. Its not like WDW where you can also use them for other things like purchases.

Guest Services in the Parks, don't know if Disney Hotels at DLR help you or not, can help you link everything if you have trouble.

Thanks!

BuddyThomas

Update - I was finally able to successfully link our tickets to the Disneyland app today, which is a major accomplishment for me, since I am technologically stunted most times, LOL. Now all I have to do is link the app to our magic bands that are arriving tomorrow, supposedly.

tanc

How's the week before President's Day? I was thinking of doing like:
Arriving Wednesday and go to downtown Disney for the day
Thursday - DL
Friday - DCA
Saturday -DL
Sunday - fly home

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Thursday - DL
Friday - DCA
Saturday -DL
Sunday - fly home
Depends on if people take a 4 or 5-day weekend. I would possibly expect Fri-Mon of that weekend to be busy.

I myself am planning to fly down that Saturday and go Sunday/Monday and fly home Tuesday. Probably will be hell, but it will be my first solo trip in nearly 2 years at that point, so at least I won't have others to worry about if I don't get on all the rides.

Communicora

Premium Member
Thursday - DL
Friday - DCA
Saturday -DL
Sunday - fly home
The Saturday will likely be very busy. If you are able to swing an extra day off I'd do it.

C.Witch

Hello all! RE: Advanced dining reservations. Does DLR open up a "window" for your full stay at 60-days as WDW does, or just one day at a time?

PiratesMansion

Hello all! RE: Advanced dining reservations. Does DLR open up a "window" for your full stay at 60-days as WDW does, or just one day at a time?
Just 60 days at a time.

Be warned that restaurants don't always have their reservations fully loaded in at that point as they should. So if you log in right at 60 days out and there's nothing available at all, they probably just haven't put them into the system yet. Keep looking until they show up-I was trying to get Blue Bayou for one trip, and I tried for a few days after 60, and there was nothing. Then a few days later suddenly I had my pick of several prime dining slots.

Last edited:

C.Witch

Just 60 days at a time.

Be warned that restaurants don't always have their reservations fully loaded in at that point as they should. So if you log in right at 60 days out and there's nothing available at all, they probably just haven't put them into the system yet. Keep looking until they show up-I was trying to get Blue Bayou for one trip, and I tried for a few days after 60, and there was nothing. Then one day where I looked and suddenly I had my pick of several prime dining slots.
Thank you for that. I've been checking BB reservations and I was seeing nothing at all at 60 days. Now I know to check over the course of a few days. Much appreciated!!

C.Witch

New question: how's the wifi at DLR compared to WDW?

I definitely feel like I need my own cellular data package for WDW, is the wifi any better/reliable at DLR?

Disney Analyst

Okay we are getting serious about finally coming to Disneyland. Will be my first trip since 2011, and partners first trip to Disneyland ever.

Anyone have recommendations for walking distance hotels in the area, budget friendly?

Do you book dining reservations on the app these days (I know it's 60ish days out).

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Okay we are getting serious about finally coming to Disneyland. Will be my first trip since 2011, and partners first trip to Disneyland ever.

Anyone have recommendations for walking distance hotels in the area, budget friendly?

Do you book dining reservations on the app these days (I know it's 60ish days out).

I usually stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn, Best Western Anaheim Inn, or the Candy Cane Inn. All of those are on Harbor and quick walk, especially the Best Westerns. I have also stayed at the Best Western Stovall's Inn (it is on Katella Ave) and it is usually cheaper than the other BW's on Harbor, it is a longer walk but if you cross the street then you are on Disney property and it is straight shot up of the road to the security check point by the Disneyland Hotel/Downtown Disney exit. On the way out of the parks you can cut through the Grand Californian back the the Stovall's Inn.

I have also stayed at the Howard Johnson and the walk is decent. In March I'll be trying the Tropicana, mostly because I waited too long to make reservations and the Best Westerns and the Candy Cane are booked up.

As for dining it is 60 days for each day you are planning to make a reservation for. You can use the app or the website to book them.

PiratesMansion

I had a very positive experience at Park Vue Inn years ago, right at the crosswalk. More budget friendly is Desert Inn & Suites (right behind Park Vue), though I will note that the walls are a bit thin. That said, I was opening and closing the parks when I stayed at DI&S, so this was actually more of a problem during the middle of the day than in the morning or evening.

If you're not able to find something as close as you'd like, don't discount the ART shuttles. The app (A-Way WeGo) and website (www.rideart.org) aren't as intuitive as I'd like (or as they used to be), but it'll get you shuttled to and from pretty efficiently if you're not able to find something right there for the price you like, and they're back to their pre-2020 schedule of running every 20 minutes or so from roughly an hour before park open to 12:30 AM.

RE: Dining Reservations-you're probably aware, but just in case: 60 days out is often a suggestion that they may or may not follow through on, especially for Blue Bayou. I also ran into a weird wrinkle my last trip that I had never previously encountered: no availability for parties of 1 or 2 at the TS restaurants, but suddenly dining slots galore were available just by moving my party size up to three. So if you're deadset on eating somewhere, but it's showing you nothing, keep looking each day and/or toggle the party size. (Side tagent: If you end up doing BB, I'd highly recommend the Fantasmic package-not sure what the rules will be when the show returns, but we were able to just ask to do the package during our dinner in summer 2022 without booking it separately, and got front-and-center F! views for only a bit more than what we would have paid for our meal there anyway.)

Usually I try to do a TS meal or two (or three), but I did all counter service this past fall and was very happy with all of my meals.

Disney Analyst

I usually stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn, Best Western Anaheim Inn, or the Candy Cane Inn. All of those are on Harbor and quick walk, especially the Best Westerns. I have also stayed at the Best Western Stovall's Inn (it is on Katella Ave) and it is usually cheaper than the other BW's on Harbor, it is a longer walk but if you cross the street then you are on Disney property and it is straight shot up of the road to the security check point by the Disneyland Hotel/Downtown Disney exit. On the way out of the parks you can cut through the Grand Californian back the the Stovall's Inn.

I have also stayed at the Howard Johnson and the walk is decent. In March I'll be trying the Tropicana, mostly because I waited too long to make reservations and the Best Westerns and the Candy Cane are booked up.

As for dining it is 60 days for each day you are planning to make a reservation for. You can use the app or the website to book them.

I had a very positive experience at Park Vue Inn years ago, right at the crosswalk. More budget friendly is Desert Inn & Suites (right behind Park Vue), though I will note that the walls are a bit thin. That said, I was opening and closing the parks when I stayed at DI&S, so this was actually more of a problem during the middle of the day than in the morning or evening.

If you're not able to find something as close as you'd like, don't discount the ART shuttles. The app (A-Way WeGo) and website (www.rideart.org) aren't as intuitive as I'd like (or as they used to be), but it'll get you shuttled to and from pretty efficiently if you're not able to find something right there for the price you like, and they're back to their pre-2020 schedule of running every 20 minutes or so from roughly an hour before park open to 12:30 AM.

RE: Dining Reservations-you're probably aware, but just in case: 60 days out is often a suggestion that they may or may not follow through on, especially for Blue Bayou. I also ran into a weird wrinkle my last trip that I had never previously encountered: no availability for parties of 1 or 2 at the TS restaurants, but suddenly dining slots galore were available just by moving my party size up to three. So if you're deadset on eating somewhere, but it's showing you nothing, keep looking each day and/or toggle the party size. (Side tagent: If you end up doing BB, I'd highly recommend the Fantasmic package-not sure what the rules will be when the show returns, but we were able to just ask to do the package during our dinner in summer 2022 without booking it separately, and got front-and-center F! views for only a bit more than what we would have paid for our meal there anyway.)

Usually I try to do a TS meal or two (or three), but I did all counter service this past fall and was very happy with all of my meals.

Thank you both!

My next thought for you or anyone, itinerary. Trying to think of days that could be quieter in parks. This is a tentative idea for early June.

Saturday: Travel day / check into a hotel near USH.

Sunday: General Hollywood / LA day. Explore. Santa Monica maybe, etc.

Monday: USH

Tuesday: travel to / check-in hotel near Disneyland. Downtown Disney exploration etc.

Wednesday - Saturday: Disneyland / DCA days. Rope dropping. Full out 4 park days.

Sunday: Check out and travel home.

Does this seem like a silly plan? Are there better days of the week for the parks? Is early June a fools errand?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom