Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

Curious Constance

LGB is closer to DLR than LAX, and a much more manageable airport. SuperShuttle offers service from LGB to DLR, as well as taxis (around $45 according to lgb.org). Not sure if Uber/Lyft can pick up at LGB, so to use one of those you would probably need to walk across the street to another pickup location.

I've often wondered why the Disneyland resort Express shuttle doesn't run to LGB and SNA. Is there just not much traffic there for people going to the DLR?

TalkingHead

I don't blame anyone for wanting to skip 2016. With Jungle Cruise down for 10 months, Soarin' for several as well, the Rivers, Fantasmic and the Railroad down the entire year - I would say if you can get here before they close, say first week of January, absolutely do it so you can see the park as it was supposed to be seen before it's chopped up for Luke & Leia. If you can't make it in early January, I don't blame you for putting it off.

Hey DLR folks, I'm planning a long-overdue trip to SoCal and trying to decide if we want to do DLR this summer.

I realize this is an old post I'm replying to, but does the recommendation to hold off on 2016 still stand? What's the likelihood that any of the major attractions will be down for refurb next summer? Is DLR good about generally having everything open in summer? (I realize with the SW construction that's not the case this year!)

tirian

Hey DLR folks, I'm planning a long-overdue trip to SoCal and trying to decide if we want to do DLR this summer.

I realize this is an old post I'm replying to, but does the recommendation to hold off on 2016 still stand? What's the likelihood that any of the major attractions will be down for refurb next summer? Is DLR good about generally having everything open in summer? (I realize with the SW construction that's not the case this year!)
I would make sure Indiana Jones is open.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster

Summer is pretty safe! With Soarin' back up on June 17, the summer should be all cylinders except for the River and railroad.

surfsupdon

I still don't know where to stay. Someplace where I can walk to DL, and they have a pool that is wet. The cheaper the better. I am going to start looking on that kayak site

ForeverAnna

How far are you willing to walk?

Travelodge International at 2040 S Harbor is decent and about a mile walk to the gate. To shorten the walk the Toy Story lot is just a block away and you can jump on the shuttle. Denny's is right next door too which is convenient.

The Ramada, just a bit further south is good too. Recently improved from how it was a few years ago.

TP2000

Thanks! I didn't realized that Long Beach flies non-stop from Boston. Is this a better alternative to LAX? I tend to agree that changing and potentially missing a connection makes flying to SNA less convenient. The flights to Long Beach look actually pretty cheap! Is there a shuttle to Disney from there too?

Let me chime in and say that your quality of life will dramatically improve if you can choose an airport that is not LAX. There's a reason why John Wayne Airport is more expensive; it's a premium upscale airport experience serving one of the most affluent counties in America, and Orange Countians can and do pay extra for that privilege of using John Wayne.

But Long Beach Airport (airport code LGB) is fabulous, and a major JetBlue hub. It's a small airport in Los Angeles County, but very stylish and reasonably convenient to Disneyland and Orange County. It's not going to have the curbside valet parking, first class airline lounges, spa facilities, etc. that John Wayne does. But as you've discovered, there are daily non-stops from Boston and New York to Long Beach on JetBlue.

LGB is an indoor/outdoor airport with a funky mix of hip outdoor lounges and old-fashioned boarding stairs to the planes, so coming from the East Coast you'll instantly realize you are in some exotic place called "SoCal". (I lived in Mass for several years, so be prepared for a bit of New England vs. SoCal culture shock)
P_Long-Beach-Airport-2.jpg

lgbdusk.jpg

BrianV

Let me chime in and say that your quality of life will dramatically improve if you can choose an airport that is not LAX. There's a reason why John Wayne Airport is more expensive; it's a premium upscale airport experience serving one of the most affluent counties in America, and Orange Countians can and do pay extra for that privilege of using John Wayne.

But Long Beach Airport (airport code LGB) is fabulous, and a major JetBlue hub. It's a small airport in Los Angeles County, but very stylish and reasonably convenient to Disneyland and Orange County. It's not going to have the curbside valet parking, first class airline lounges, spa facilities, etc. that John Wayne does. But as you've discovered, there are daily non-stops from Boston and New York to Long Beach on JetBlue.

LGB is an indoor/outdoor airport with a funky mix of hip outdoor lounges and old-fashioned boarding stairs to the planes, so coming from the East Coast you'll instantly realize you are in some exotic place called "SoCal". (I lived in Mass for several years, so be prepared for a bit of New England vs. SoCal culture shock)
P_Long-Beach-Airport-2.jpg

lgbdusk.jpg

Looks cool!! I've only ever been to LA a few times and always felt a little culture-shocked!

I'm always willing to pay for convenience but the need to switch planes makes SNA less convenient and more expensive. But nonstop to LGB is worth it it looks like!

BrianV

Ok, probably a main thread but…at WDW I always get hopper passes. How about DL? We'll have two full days likely, and maybe part of a third, so I'd likely get 3 day passes. Does there a tend to be a crowded and less crowded park on a given day or are the crowds global? At WDW, if it is crowded, we hop to a less crowded park. A good strategy at DL or not needed? Also, is California adventure a full day park, or more of a Hollywood Studios/part-day park?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Ok, probably a main thread but…at WDW I always get hopper passes. How about DL? We'll have two full days likely, and maybe part of a third, so I'd likely get 3 day passes. Does there a tend to be a crowded and less crowded park on a given day or are the crowds global? At WDW, if it is crowded, we hop to a less crowded park. A good strategy at DL or not needed? Also, is California adventure a full day park, or more of a Hollywood Studios/part-day park?

Get hoppers. The parks are within feet of each other, so hopping is easy. DCA is a full day park, but that can depend on how many WDW clones you do.

BrianV

Get hoppers. The parks are within feet of each other, so hopping is easy. DCA is a full day park, but that can depend on how many WDW clones you do.

Sounds good. Don't care about the identical clones. Star tours, etc. But do want to see Mr toad (miss that at wdw) and other similar ones.

Animaniac93-98

I currently have a one-day, one-park ticket for my day trip in September. If I change my mind and want to upgrade to a park hopper is that something I can do the day of? If so, can I do so at City Hall/Guest Relations or do I have to go to the ticket booths outside the parks?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I currently have a one-day, one-park ticket for my day trip in September. If I change my mind and want to upgrade to a park hopper is that something I can do the day of? If so, can I do so at City Hall/Guest Relations or do I have to go to the ticket booths outside the parks?

You should be able to do it at Guest Relations within one of the parks - they'll be happy to take your extra money! ;)

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Do you have to upgrade before leaving or before the end of the day, etc? What's the window?

I believe your ticket needs to still be valid - there wouldn't be much point in upgrading a 1 day 1 park to a 1 day hopper if you waited until the end of the day. If you're on a multi-day ticket, you can upgrade it at any time during its valid period. Same for APs. If the ticket's used up, it can't be upgraded; it's dead.

BrianV

I believe your ticket needs to still be valid - there wouldn't be much point in upgrading a 1 day 1 park to a 1 day hopper if you waited until the end of the day. If you're on a multi-day ticket, you can upgrade it at any time during its valid period. Same for APs. If the ticket's used up, it can't be upgraded; it's dead.

I guess I meant more like a two day ticket that has to be used within 14 days (is it 14?). If you use both days on day 1 and day 2, could you upgrade within the 14 day window. Or is the window closed on day 3 since it was used up?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I guess I meant more like a two day ticket that has to be used within 14 days (is it 14?). If you use both days on day 1 and day 2, could you upgrade within the 14 day window. Or is the window closed on day 3 since it was used up?

If it's a 2 day ticket, and you'd used both days already, you wouldn't be able to upgrade it after that point. The ticket would be completely used up and you'd be instructed to buy a new ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom