Guide map availability reduced at MK

WDWLover#1

Original Poster
According to OTPN this is now a thing:
Since the introduction of MyMagic+ and the My Disney Experience mobile app, Guests have had the convenience of managing their entire Walt Disney World Resort visit on the go. As more Guests have begun using this powerful tool to access real time information about all of their offerings (including park maps and showtimes), The Walt Disney World Resort has an opportunity to reduce the usage of paper guidemaps and times guides throughout the park.
Beginning Sunday, May 31, guidemaps and times guides will only be available at the following locations at the Magic Kingdom Park (they will no longer be available in select indoor locations):

• Park entry
  • City Hall
  • All Merchandise stores
  • Any outdoor cart (foods and merchandise)
As a reminder, paper guidemaps will still be available in French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish at City Hall (located on Main Street) and park entry for Guests visiting from other countries.

Bolt

According to OTPN this is now a thing:
Since the introduction of MyMagic+ and the My Disney Experience mobile app, Guests have had the convenience of managing their entire Walt Disney World Resort visit on the go. As more Guests have begun using this powerful tool to access real time information about all of their offerings (including park maps and showtimes), The Walt Disney World Resort has an opportunity to reduce the usage of paper guidemaps and times guides throughout the park.
Beginning Sunday, May 31, guidemaps and times guides will only be available at the following locations at the Magic Kingdom Park (they will no longer be available in select indoor locations):

• Park entry
  • City Hall
  • All Merchandise stores
  • Any outdoor cart (foods and merchandise)
As a reminder, paper guidemaps will still be available in French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish at City Hall (located on Main Street) and park entry for Guests visiting from other countries.
I'll sure miss the rack of them on the first loop at Rock N Roller Coaster.

Mouse_Trap

The maps are worthless for recycling. They are a low fiber/high coated sheet. The worth of the fiber is less than the cost to landfill the coating. It is better to landfill all of it then pass the methane through a turbine to generate electricity.

Landfill should always be the very last resort regardless of cost.

The better option here is the energy recovery disposal where they incinerate the waste.

Nubs70

Landfill should always be the very last resort regardless of cost.

The better option here is the energy recovery disposal where they incinerate the waste.
Recycling regardless of cost is great if you everyone is willing to pay a recycling premium if the price of virgin pulp is less than recycled pulp.

Paper to electricity costs more than landfill gas to electricity due to the water content in paper. Landfill gas is also a cleaner fuel than paper due to less metals, straight methane, etc. Anerobic digestion also acts as a form of carbon sequestration, if that is a concept you find beneficial.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There is a cart at Epcot that sells beaded necklaces and such made from recycled park maps. Or so they say.
IMG_4777.JPG

Mouse_Trap

Recycling regardless of cost is great if you everyone is willing to pay a recycling premium if the price of virgin pulp is less than recycled pulp.

Paper to electricity costs more than landfill gas to electricity due to the water content in paper. Landfill gas is also a cleaner fuel than paper due to less metals, straight methane, etc. Anerobic digestion also acts as a form of carbon sequestration, if that is a concept you find beneficial.

In the UK, and I think its the same in Europe there is now an tax of £60 (roughly $85) for every tonne of landfill. That has massively shifted the balance and the local councils are pushing to recycle as much as possible in order to reduce costs. The mentality is that overall there is nothing that isn't worth recycling....those the principals reduce and reuse should be explored first.

The major problem with landfill being all the chemicals eventually penetrate the ground and will then enter the water table. Not good.
For me that alone is a reason why recycling is better than landfill. That's before we get onto how completely irresponsible the use of virgin wood each time is, massively contributing to deforestation and the massive problems that brings.

I forget which, but there is a Scandinavian country (Norway I think) which now recycles (through one method or other) 97-99% of its waste.

Next Big Thing

testing the waters though?

As long as they can be found somewhat reasonably in each major area of the park I don't mind.. even as long as you can get them 'on demand' would be fine with me.
Yeah, honestly, they probably print way too many. I like grabbing one each time I go as a free souvenir so I don't want them to go away, but I could see maybe changing distribution of them a bit throughout the parks as long as they are still easily found.

aladdin2007

In the UK, and I think its the same in Europe there is now an tax of £60 (roughly $85) for every tonne of landfill. That has massively shifted the balance and the local councils are pushing to recycle as much as possible in order to reduce costs. The mentality is that overall there is nothing that isn't worth recycling....those the principals reduce and reuse should be explored first.

The major problem with landfill being all the chemicals eventually penetrate the ground and will then enter the water table. Not good.
For me that alone is a reason why recycling is better than landfill. That's before we get onto how completely irresponsible the use of virgin wood each time is, massively contributing to deforestation and the massive problems that brings.

I forget which, but there is a Scandinavian country (Norway I think) which now recycles (through one method or other) 97-99% of its waste.

ok who wants to insert a frozen joke here :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom